Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 14:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

request for images in .eps format

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 22, 2011 14:18 |  #1

Just did a a corporate photoshoot - headshots and groupshots. They want the the files in .eps format. I can do that as they are currently in PS but is there any advantage to them over high resolution jpegs or are they just repeating something a graphic designer said?

Richard
Gear

sponsored links
Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 22, 2011 16:48 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

uhh..unless you have some magical camera that shoots in vector format I can't see any reason why they would need this. Would it hurt to ask why they need it in eps?

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

NorseHorse
105 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 22, 2011 18:29 as a reply to  @ Shadow on the Door's post |  #3

Yes.

Remember that just because your client is "important", it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Office folks are just normal people and most normal people don't know much about photography.

Sometimes educating is part of the job. Do it in a kind and friendly way that makes their life easier, and you'll get repeat business.

Full-time freelancer.
Audio, video, photo.
http://facebook.com/Ar​tsLaureate (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 22, 2011 18:51 |  #4

Provide it because they asked for it.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 22, 2011 19:19 |  #5

the client isn't always right, but the client is always the client.

if they want it in .eps, provide it in .eps

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 22, 2011 21:09 |  #6

Educate your customer. Send them this link (external link), and tell them a jpeg or tiff is more appropriate. Tell them images a delivered in jpeg format, and they'll be charged for non-standard work.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,755 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 22, 2011 22:36 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #7

To the OP. Thought that you might like to read this. I work with designers everyday and some prefer EPS and some prefer tiffs and some I can send JPGs to. I'd send'm what they asked for.

http://desktoppub.abou​t.com …mats/a/graphicf​ormats.htm (external link)

jdouglas003
392 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 22, 2011 23:12 |  #8

I've been in graphics for over 25 years and I can't think of any reason why they would NEED .eps files, but if they want them why not just give them what they want. If you want to go above and beyond the call of duty provide in .eps AND whatever file format you think would be better.

http://www.movingexpos​ure.com (external link)
Portrait, Event, Sports Phtography (external link)

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 23, 2011 18:06 |  #9

For the time that it takes to convert, Just send both .Jpeg and .eps

View My Flickr (external link)

Frugal
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 23, 2011 20:05 |  #10

LONDON808 wrote in post #13442790 (external link)
For the time that it takes to convert, Just send both .Jpeg and .eps

Actually they want eps and pdf (that would be a jpeg in a pdf wrapper!!) Apparently the eps requirement comes from their graphics department in their nationwide head office, so rather than take on city hall I'll give them what they are asking for. I didn't specify file format in the contract as I've never met anyone who wasn't happy with either Jpeg or TIFF. But in future contracts...

Thank you for all your comments

Richard
Gear

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,755 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 23, 2011 20:09 |  #11

Frugal wrote in post #13443210 (external link)
Actually they want eps and pdf (that would be a jpeg in a pdf wrapper!!) Apparently the eps requirement comes from their graphics department in their nationwide head office, so rather than take on city hall I'll give them what they are asking for. I didn't specify file format in the contract as I've never met anyone who wasn't happy with either Jpeg or TIFF. But in future contracts...

Thank you for all your comments

Good call!!!!

Dmitriy
247 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 30, 2011 16:42 |  #12

I have two suggestions. One for you and another for your client.

By default converting to PDF will re-compress the original JPG and thus will degrade the quality of it. So you need to "uncheck" compression and store the original in PDF.

The second suggestion is that they should stop call it a "graphic department."

My Stock Photography (external link) | My Mobile Photography (external link) | My: Google + (external link) , Facebook (external link) , Twitter (external link)
Keywording Tool (external link) for stock photographers | Photo and videography (external link)

tomj
657 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 30, 2011 19:04 |  #13

"are they just repeating something a graphic designer said?"

They may be mis-interpreting something a graphic designer said.

I own a printing business. We frequently have problems with clients submitting jpegs (often 72dpi) for images that should be a vector file, a logo for example, so we'll ask for the original eps version. We're usually dealing with someone who's not knowledgeable about these things, and not communicating our needs accurately to their graphics person. I did in one case get a direct email from a designer asking why I requested a photo in eps format - I didn't, but somehow that's how the request had been delivered.

Flickr (external link)

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 30, 2011 19:04 |  #14

Being in the print and publishing profession for the past 15 years I can say that eps is a more valid format than jpg when dealing with print products. There could be a number of reasons why this format is required. Could be as simple as printer workflow/prepress rules that reject jpgs. Could be that the Graphics department uses certain plug ins that will only work with eps or tif. Could be a legacy file issue, a rip issue, or any number of other client requirements.
The publisher I work for requires all native format files as of 2 years ago. Prior to that if was eps for vector art and tif for raster images. There are many small mom and pop shops that still use the older formats as well. I wouldn't be so quick to assume the designer is ignorant.

Most modern shops have upgraded to a native format and/or PDF workflow. For a corporate client that is paying for your service, you should submit them as requested.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

Dmitriy
247 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 01, 2011 09:50 |  #15

You're right - a properly prepared eps is more suitable for print products. But we don't talk about print products, we talk about photos that will be taken by a designer and then used in a project - which only then will be converted to a prepress ready format - PDF, EPS, TIFF, or whatever. This is the designer's responsibility. Photos should be in the native format or in a format without compression to retain quality.
If a graphics department requested those photos, I assume they will use them in a design project and won't go to a shop for prints.

You're also right that if a client pays for the process - you should give him what he wants.

My Stock Photography (external link) | My Mobile Photography (external link) | My: Google + (external link) , Facebook (external link) , Twitter (external link)
Keywording Tool (external link) for stock photographers | Photo and videography (external link)

sponsored links

2,553 views & 0 likes for this thread
request for images in .eps format
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.