Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 18:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help -- camera seems stuck at f/22

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 23, 2011 03:38 |  #16

Well, the obvious would be to put things in a "normal" state- for each setting.
Set your camera into AV mode. Aperture- at most open. Exposure compenstation at zero. AWB. One Shot AF. Single shot. Evaluative Metering.
Set the ISO at something like 200 if you can go out during daylight, or 800 if indoors. If indoors, go into the KITCHEN- turn on the lights, and take a shot. Why the kitchen? Usually the brightest of rooms..
I am guessing that you have the camera in some other metering than Evaluative.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

sponsored links
jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Nov 24, 2011 08:47 |  #17

I suspect the op was changing exposure settings and getting the actual same real exposure due to av/tv safety shift enabled in the custom settings. As stated, indoors are typically very low light environments. Op go outside on a bright day and report back.

Jason

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Nov 24, 2011 11:23 |  #18

I want some pics with the data intact

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

cedm
628 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 24, 2011 21:02 as a reply to  @ DAMphyne's post |  #19

I assume the OP has already left for Maui with a brand new 7D and will therefore not be around to answer your questions ;)

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 24, 2011 22:12 |  #20

akadmon wrote in post #13438681 (external link)
Ok, I'll report back back in the morning. Maybe I'm being paranoid (I don't think so). What's the worst that can happen? I'll convince my wife that I need to buy a 7D tomorrow ($1500) -- how could she object, it's a once in a half century opportunity!; the T1i gets repaired by Canon ($100-$200); I have two bodies (one for my L lenses, one for my my 10-22), something I've always craved (hate all the switching in the field -- would rather carry two cameras on my neck!).

cedm wrote in post #13447564 (external link)
I assume the OP has already left for Maui with a brand new 7D and will therefore not be around to answer your questions ;)

Sounds like mission accomplished to me! ;)

The only technical problem that I can think of would be loss of communication between the camera and lens. A quick look at the EXIF data would answer that question. Maybe damaged contacts on mounting ring.

I don't know if there is a "wrong" way to install a lens other than this:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Nov 24, 2011 23:19 |  #21

Bill Boehme wrote in post #13447764 (external link)
Sounds like mission accomplished to me! ;)

The only technical problem that I can think of would be loss of communication between the camera and lens. A quick look at the EXIF data would answer that question. Maybe damaged contacts on mounting ring.

I don't know if there is a "wrong" way to install a lens other than this:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Bill Boehme in
./showthread.php?p=134​47764&i=i46649329
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Bill, You must have a lot of manual focus lenses :D

My picture galleries (external link)

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 25, 2011 14:52 |  #22

AJSJones wrote in post #13447948 (external link)
Bill, You must have a lot of manual focus lenses :D

Or they become manual focus after being installed... lol:D

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 25, 2011 16:40 as a reply to  @ wayne.robbins's post |  #23

Hey, it is a really handy tool when I need to install or remove one of those pesky Nikkor lenses. I've been wondering why Nikon only makes manual focus lenses.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 25, 2011 17:33 |  #24

akadmon wrote in post #13437682 (external link)
Something strange is happening to my T1i. All of a sudden it's asking for long exposures at every setting (M, AV, Tv, etc) and at every f stop. As an example, what would typically require 1/1000 sec exposure, now takes 1/10 sec. When I take a picture at 1/1000 sec, it looks almost completely dark. Taken at 1/10 sec, the picture looks properly exposed.

I don't know how relevant it is, but last time I used the camera a week ago. I was taking some long exposure shots of the night sky. Today I got my 70/200 f/4 IS from Canon (it went in for repair of the focusing mechanism). I noticed the problem as soon as I put the lens on, and my first thought was that they broke something in the lens, but this weird exposure problem is happening with all my lenses!

Any idea what could have happened? Please help, I'm about to leave for a vacation in Maui to celebrate my 50th BD, and I don't have time to send the camera to Canon for repairs. I hope it's something simple, like some setting I accidentally activated. I'm really really bummed out :(

Go outside on a sunny day. Set your ISO to 100 and your shutter speed to 1/100.

What aperture setting is the camera giving you?

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 25, 2011 19:55 |  #25

Tiberius47 wrote in post #13450840 (external link)
Go outside on a sunny day. Set your ISO to 100 and your shutter speed to 1/100.

What aperture setting is the camera giving you?

Or, go outside on a sunny day and with the camera in Av mode and aperture set to f/2.8 and ISO speed at 100, what is the actual aperture and how does the exposure look? Next, what is the shutter speed? If there is still any doubt send it in to Canon for repair.

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 26, 2011 01:25 |  #26

I was thinking about checking the camera's metering using the Sunny 16 rule...

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

sponsored links

5,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help -- camera seems stuck at f/22
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.