Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 16:43
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Did you pay for your Photoshop CS5"
Yes
73%
No
27%

122 voters, 122 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Did you buy Photoshop CS5

this thread is locked
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,751 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 23, 2011 21:07 |  #16

I paid and use it. I always upgrade when there is a new release. Somehow I got a legal copy from Adobe for 1/2 price. I think CS2 when I started. When I got a Canon camera there was s coupon. I think it was for US customers only but I argued with Adobe for so long they go sick of me and gave it to me for half the price.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
rpaul
636 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 23, 2011 21:10 |  #17

If by CS5 you mean CS3, yes ... did some freelance web work a few years back, and figured that if I was going to be making money with it I'd go legit. The work more than paid for the software, so ... win/win.

Rob | rmpaul.com (external link)
Gear 'n Stuff (external link)
C&C always welcome

sharrowm
682 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 23, 2011 22:16 |  #18

MusicLaw wrote in post #13443159 (external link)
The PS CS5 upgrade (non educational version) is currently available from Amazon for $139.30.

I am currently using CS4 and I almost pulled the trigger on this the other day, but with all the discounts around on CS5 I can't help but think that CS6 is just around the corner. Sure, it will cost more, (probably $200/upgrade), but if I skip a generation I save money in the long run. Even if CS6 ends up being too expensive my bet is that CS5 will drop even more.

I'm usually not the type to wait for something better. Especially when it comes to technology products because you end up chasing the end of the rainbow. However, in this case, it seems to make sense.

Marc

5D Mark II | 7D |17-40L | 24-105L IS| 70-200L 4.0 IS | 50 1.8 | 100mm macro|100-400L | 580EX
It never looks the same on the wall as it does in the paint can

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 23, 2011 22:18 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

sharrowm wrote in post #13443753 (external link)
I am currently using CS4 and I almost pulled the trigger on this the other day, but with all the discounts around on CS5 I can't help but think that CS6 is just around the corner. Sure, it will cost more, (probably $200/upgrade), but if I skip a generation I save money in the long run. Even if CS6 ends up being too expensive my bet is that CS5 will drop even more.

I'm usually not the type to wait for something better. Especially when it comes to technology products because you end up chasing the end of the rainbow. However, in this case, it seems to make sense.

Unfortunately you dont save. Adobe announced you cannot skip software generations with upgrades anymore. You must go 4-5-6, you cannot got 4-6.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,359 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 23, 2011 22:28 |  #20

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13443768 (external link)
Unfortunately you dont save. Adobe announced you cannot skip software generations with upgrades anymore. You must go 4-5-6, you cannot got 4-6.

Which is why I'll stick with CS4 until I have no other choice.

sharrowm
682 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 23, 2011 23:29 |  #21

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13443768 (external link)

Hmm...I did not know that. I've bought a LOT of software over the years and I can't think of any that forced you to pay for every upgrade to get the next. Sounds a bit greedy to me. I guess Adobe forgot we are in a recession.

Maybe it's time for me to look for alternatives.:(

Marc

5D Mark II | 7D |17-40L | 24-105L IS| 70-200L 4.0 IS | 50 1.8 | 100mm macro|100-400L | 580EX
It never looks the same on the wall as it does in the paint can

MusicLaw
124 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2011 23:46 as a reply to  @ sharrowm's post |  #22

Adobe's newly changed upgrade policy may inspire many people on the PC Platform, to take a close look at Corel's PSP X4 software. Even at retail, both the basic and Ultimate versions are well under $100. Currently there are Holiday deals offered for anywhere from $20 to $40 for the full Ultimate version. The Ultimate version includes loads of bundled plugins from KPT Collection 24 plugins, NIK Color Efex Pro 3.0, WinZip Pro 15, and more. Moreover, the plugins are Adobe compatible, so they should work with earlier versions of Photoshop.

SimpleJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 24, 2011 16:38 |  #23

MusicLaw wrote in post #13444068 (external link)
Adobe's newly changed upgrade policy may inspire many people on the PC Platform, to take a close look at Corel's PSP X4 software. Even at retail, both the basic and Ultimate versions are well under $100. Currently there are Holiday deals offered for anywhere from $20 to $40 for the full Ultimate version. The Ultimate version includes loads of bundled plugins from KPT Collection 24 plugins, NIK Color Efex Pro 3.0, WinZip Pro 15, and more. Moreover, the plugins are Adobe compatible, so they should work with earlier versions of Photoshop.

Looks like it's about $40 bucks for full version. I'm gonna download the trial just to see what it's all about.
Nice to see that there is a cheap alternative available for people who can't afford it.

Canon PowerShot S100

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,065 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 24, 2011 17:06 |  #24

Of course! Content-aware fills if nothing else. As a designer as well, I get Creative Suites. I don't use Photoshop much anymore, I use Lightroom. But a toolbox of software of a beautiful thing.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, 16, 18, 56, 16-55, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80
<<all zooms for sale—zeiss, canon & fuji>>

Bananapie
522 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 24, 2011 17:16 |  #25

I bought Photoshop 7.0, CS3 Master Suite, and CS4 (Ai, Ps, Fl, Pr). As far as Photoshop goes, I can't think of one thing I use in CS4 that 7 doesn't have once you get the raw updates. =/

I used to need Flash and Premiere, hence the package purchases...but I don't see a _need_ to spend that $$ on a newer version of Photoshop (for photography, anyways).

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 24, 2011 17:28 |  #26

Bananapie wrote in post #13446862 (external link)
I can't think of one thing I use in CS4 that 7 doesn't have

Try a lot of editing in 16bpc, feathering a mask on the fly, smart objects etc, etc…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tomphot
26 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 24, 2011 20:48 |  #27

sharrowm wrote in post #13444016 (external link)
Hmm...I did not know that. I've bought a LOT of software over the years and I can't think of any that forced you to pay for every upgrade to get the next. Sounds a bit greedy to me. I guess Adobe forgot we are in a recession.

Maybe it's time for me to look for alternatives.:(

Quickbooks has started doing that although I think they let you go 3 years, after that the old software will be obsolete and not supported by intuit. It totally shuts down all on line activity such as bill pay, downloads and updates.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 24, 2011 21:34 |  #28

It sounds as if the OP is asking us whether we paid for a licence or are using a program ripped off from somewhere.

I have no software that I haven't paid for, for the simple reason that if I take that liberty I'm inviting the world to rip off my designs. Same applies to the photographs themselves...it would be hypocritical to complain about someone using your pics if you're using ripped off software!

Growing old disgracefully!

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 24, 2011 21:43 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

MusicLaw wrote in post #13444068 (external link)

If you need CS5 then you need CS5, there are no ands ifs or buts.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 24, 2011 22:22 |  #30

SimpleJack wrote in post #13442500 (external link)
This is a must have, but paying as much as they ask for just to edit pictures is pretty outrageous..

And yes there is a cheaper version and yes it is used for more then just editing a photo and yes I know it takes alot to make these programs and yes to everything you might say..
Just wondering who paid and who didn't :)

It is anything but a must have. It is a luxury like so many other things in life that we have come to expect to be given to us. For a fraction of the cost you can use Elements which can edit images just fine.

The poll almost seems to be asking who stole their version of Photoshop. I have two licenses of different Creative Suites of which I paid for both. Its a cost of doing business, plain and simple. There should be no expectation that Adobe has to reduce the price of the product simply so that the masses can afford it. That's not the way the free market system works.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

sponsored links

7,450 views & 0 likes for this thread
Did you buy Photoshop CS5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.