Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Nov 2011 (Monday) 11:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FYI on the changing Adobe upgrade policy

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 21, 2011 19:57 |  #16

ssim wrote in post #13432914 (external link)
...Why would someone that simply works at an educational center be eligible for the discount. ...

My theory is that Adobe profits by offering a pricing level in between crazy-expensive and free (bit torrent and a license generator). If it didn't work for them, they wouldn't still offer the discount.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

sponsored links
D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,840 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 21, 2011 20:19 as a reply to  @ post 13433034 |  #17

Came across this in another forum.

2) Here is an email for Brian Hughes a senior Photoshop Product Manager who has encouraged customer feedback including directly to him bhughes@adobe.com (external link)

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Nov 21, 2011 20:26 |  #18

unfortunately, it's not the product manager that has anything to do with this decision... but he'll probably forward your comments on to someone who did (hopefully).

For another contact:
John Nack, jnack@adobe.com (external link) is the Principle Product Manager at Adobe.

He also has a good blog here: http://blogs.adobe.com​/jnack/ (external link)

Organic ­ Treats
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 21, 2011 20:27 |  #19

http://www.scottkelby.​com/blog/2011/archives​/22903 (external link)

Jeremy
www.500px.com/jeremycu​pp (external link)
www.twitter.com/jeremy​cupp (external link)
www.jeremycupp.com (external link)
http://www.youtube.com​/jeremykcupp (external link)

kirkt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,768 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 21, 2011 20:54 |  #20

It's pretty funny how Scott Kelby writes a letter to Adobe as if they don't know who he is and who he represents. He makes good points, I just find amusing the "Let me introduce myself, I'm the Everyman you are ignoring" persona he takes in the letter. While I have no reason to think Kelby is insincere, the more people who use adobe products, the higher the demand and the greater potential number of users for his products and services. That being said, if his leverage helps the Everyman he represents, more power to him!

kirk

Kirk
---

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 22, 2011 00:29 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #21

I'm sure (with tongue firmly in cheek) that Scott and company actually have to pay for their software from Adobe. They are a great asset for Adobe in generating sales and to that end I would be saying to them, give me free units. I think that Scott has made the letter sound just tough enough to appease his membership but somehow I feel that the boys over at NAPP relish a new release of Photoshop. It means updated courses, new books, DVD's, etc. I would not be surprised to see an uptick in NAPP memberships around the time of a new release so that people have a resource to understand the functions. NAPP is just another company benefiting from the production of Adobe products. They are not a true user association that represents its members, imo. Its all about the cash and I am sure that they are doing quite well. Is there really a voice for the user community out there that does not have a vested interest in seeing new releases.

The one thing that really worries me about this whole thing is that there is no pressure on Adobe to actually perform and put out a product that is worth upgrading to. If we have to upgrade what is stopping them from producing new releases more often with less in them. I have to wonder how the meetings went when this change was being discussed, was there a voice there for the hobbyist and casual users. I'm not happy about this but I will do it as it is a tax write-off for me. I have a feeling that they are more about targeting the corporate sales than worrying about what may happen to the hobbyist market. It would be nice to see a break down of what the sales are by percentage into real companies versus the casual users. You make the changes that are going to return you the most and simply manage the casualties along the way.

This could be a good thing for the makers of packages of PSP, GIMP, etc. Maybe there will be a mass exodus to some of the more affordable options but somehow I doubt that. Simply because the new version has come out does not make all previous versions obsolete. If CS4 does the job for you today it will still do it tomorrow. The only real downside is ACR. A new camera comes on the market and from past history we know that Adobe is not going to provide ACR compatibility inside of older versions of Photoshop. Perhaps they could extend that as an olive branch. There is no shortage of alternate way to deal with your RAW files though right down to the free method of using DNG supplied by Adobe. I have to wonder if they have some sort of bombshell in the wings for the users of Lightroom. Could there be changes in the making on the upgrade policies for it.

I have always felt that Lightroom was a good idea but they went too far offering too much common functionality with Photoshop. You read various forums and you will see lots of photographers that use only Lightroom and if they need a Photoshop product are electing to go with Elements. In a nutshell, imo, they have made Lightroom too similar to Photoshop in certain areas. I feel the real power in Lightroom is in its database and that functionality is not going to change all that often. Even at that there are many great alternates.

Only time will tell how this is all going to wash out. I would expect to see some changes in this policy if they want to be seen as a compassionate corporation in tough times. Companies have to be profitable but the way shareholder value is handled they always have to be better than the year before. Having worked middle management in a company that had some 45,000 employees this was always a concern. How to do better than last year with the same or less resources. So you sit around and see how you can suck any amount of money from its most frequent customers which is the corporate sales.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 22, 2011 05:52 |  #22

"The soul of Adobe disappeared when (founder John) Warnock left. He was the inventor, the person I related to. It's been a bunch of suits since then, and the company has turned to crap." - Steve Jobs.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

kirkt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,768 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 22, 2011 08:09 |  #23

ssim wrote in post #13434062 (external link)
Only time will tell how this is all going to wash out. I would expect to see some changes in this policy if they want to be seen as a compassionate corporation in tough times. Companies have to be profitable but the way shareholder value is handled they always have to be better than the year before. Having worked middle management in a company that had some 45,000 employees this was always a concern. How to do better than last year with the same or less resources. So you sit around and see how you can suck any amount of money from its most frequent customers which is the corporate sales.

When you start placing priority on shareholders instead of customers, you're done. Maybe (tongue in cheek, a la ssim) this will be the come-to-jesus moment for adobe where they will realize they have turned into a bloated jabba the hut, and they will regroup, strip out the fat and concentrate on innovation instead of gimmicks like being able to share your PSD files on tablets.

Have you ever taken the time to actually look at the recent Adobe product list:

http://www.adobe.com/p​roducts/catalog.html (external link)

When did Adobe decide to become an Enterprise Solutions company? It's really sad, actually. I'm guessing I could never have run most of that software on my Mac SE20 - but I could run photoshop.

The creativity appears to be losing out to the managers. I'm not a big fan of being told what is awesome - if you make it awesome, people will know and embrace it. If you force people to embrace your self-described awesomeness by leveraging your heritage, well, that is off-putting. For any of you out there that are auto enthusiasts, think Land Rover. I am a dedicated Land Rover person, but the last several years of selling bling based on decades of heritage is, well, off-putting.

kirk

Kirk
---

SeanH
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 22, 2011 12:23 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #24

"Hey Adobe, can we offer you some advice to what happens when you try to squeeze extra $$ out of your good customers" -Netflicks

7D ......waiting on the 5D3
10-22, 17-40 4.0 L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 2 X 580EX's

tomphot
26 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 24, 2011 20:36 as a reply to  @ SeanH's post |  #25

What exactly does Adobe require for the student/teacher discount?
My brother is a teacher, do I buy the software and then have him fill out a form?

tim
Light Bringer
50,965 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 24, 2011 21:05 |  #26

tomphot wrote in post #13447464 (external link)
My brother is a teacher, do I buy the software and then have him fill out a form?

He has to buy the academic edition from somewhere that sells it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 25, 2011 04:41 |  #27

ssim wrote in post #13432914 (external link)
Sometimes I think that companies think they are doing the right thing but it comes back to bite them.

Adobe is not hurting for sales and by doing this it's money they would have lost to piracy anyway. For years they basically allowed their software to float around the web just to get developers and students hooked. Now they are trying to put the genie back in the box by making some of their titles a bit more affordable.

I don't see how anyone aside from an institution can buy more then one copy of CS5 considering educational licenses are limited. You buy the software and then you have to provide some form of eligibility to Adobe directly. Which means this person must be registering friends as students and fudging paperwork which could land said person in prison.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 25, 2011 16:56 |  #28

tomphot wrote in post #13447464 (external link)

Yes, Adobe provides instructions for online verification. Check their website to see exactly what's required. It's fairly simple.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 25, 2011 17:22 |  #29

kirkt wrote in post #13430950 (external link)
Adobe is doing a bunch of funky things to its product line, including restricting the upgrade policy to the previous version only as of the impending upgrade to CS6. From the Adobe blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com …ustomers.html?P​ID=2159997 (external link)

Here's the quoted passage relevant to PS:

Just a heads up....

Do you think they want you to move to their Creative Cloud subscription?

kirk

This is exactly the kind of greedy crap that results in more and more software piracy. I've seen more hacked copies of the various versions of CSx than I'd care to remember in recent years, and if this is how Adobe is going to do business it will probably just get worse.

garnerfoto
575 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 25, 2011 19:46 |  #30

I have PS CS3 and was going to upgrade to CS6 upon purchase of a new camera. If I now have to upgrade twice I'll look for another solution. DPP will probably take care of my raw conversion needs and export TIFF for PS work.

I briefly considered just converting to DNG, but since Adobe is out to bleed it's customers, I see the day when the DNG converter will no longer be free. I'll take a pass. Good luck getting another dime from me.

Tom
garnerfoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

7,432 views & 0 likes for this thread
FYI on the changing Adobe upgrade policy
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.