Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

how do you know a wedding requires 2nd and 3rd shooter?

Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 24, 2011 14:54 |  #16

If you arent able to take getting ready shots of the groom then you will need a 2nd shooter.

I know that common sense says that if one photographer is covering the bride prep, then another photographer should be covering the groom prep...but groom prep is often the most boring part of a wedding day. Most of the time, they don't do much prep work, then throw on their suits at the last minute. The young ones usually have trouble with their ties or suspenders...but it's not riveting stuff. Sometimes there are opportunities for funny/goofy shots or maybe get some pertinent details...but I wouldn't hire a second, just to shoot the groom.

One of the weddings I second shot this year, the photographer had us double cover the bride's prep rather than bride & groom.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 24, 2011 15:29 |  #17

I ask the guys to get ready before I go see the girls. They rarely have a problem with it, sometimes they get out of their kit until they have to leave for the ceremony.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 24, 2011 16:38 |  #18

SchwettyLens wrote in post #13446084 (external link)
Well... I always use one. Of course they get paid. Build it into the budget.

Same here.

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 24, 2011 19:32 |  #19

Big Mike wrote in post #13446432 (external link)
I know that common sense says that if one photographer is covering the bride prep, then another photographer should be covering the groom prep...but groom prep is often the most boring part of a wedding day. Most of the time, they don't do much prep work, then throw on their suits at the last minute. The young ones usually have trouble with their ties or suspenders...but it's not riveting stuff. Sometimes there are opportunities for funny/goofy shots or maybe get some pertinent details...but I wouldn't hire a second, just to shoot the groom.

One of the weddings I second shot this year, the photographer had us double cover the bride's prep rather than bride & groom.

Or you get brides who don't WANT the guys getting ready. I've had that a few times where I offered a second shooter for groom coverage and they said they didn't even think about groom coverage and didn't really care to have it. That actually happened for over half of my weddings this summer. Other times it's not too hard to run to where the groom is for a few minutes while the bride is getting her hair done and get what you need to get.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 24, 2011 22:33 |  #20

I've shot over 100 weddings and have only used a 2nd shooter once. I wasn't impressed. Most of his images were near duplicates of my own. I've shot weddings that had 600+ guests all on my own and captured everything. As far as being in two places at once, I have never missed capturing both the guys and the girls getting ready. It's easy: the girls take about 3 hours so I can spend quite a lot of time with them and then, when I know the guys are getting ready, I can head over there for the 15 minutes (tops) it takes for that scene to unfold and still be back with the bride before she has her dress fitted.
It's not that I wouldn't appreciate a really good 2nd shooter; it's just never been necessary and I don't see the justification of raising my prices 50% to cover the costs, not to mention all the extra time it would take to sort through so many extra images. I suppose if I was charging upwards of $5000 I would employ one full time, just to justify my price to my clients. But that's kind of my point: I don't charge that much because I've never needed a 2nd shooter!

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 24, 2011 23:42 |  #21

But what are you going to do if the groom is about an hours drive away? Its all good if they are getting ready close by, but its not always the case.

The last wedding I photographed infact, the duration of the drive between the brides location and grooms location was exactly 1 hour without traffic. But then what happens if you get stuck in traffic on the way to the brides and run late?

Also with Indian weddings its really different to western weddings which most here do. The getting ready shots isnt as involved as what you guys do, but there is always a small pre-event that happens during that time before they leave the house. You cant just be there for 15mins take some quick shots of the groom and leave.

Actually now that im thinking more about this, the last asian (viet) wedding I photographed for a friend as a 2nd shooter I had to cover the small tea ceremony and other small rituals they did before they left the house which went for atleast an hour. Then also had to take group shots of the family members in between.

I dont know how you guys just stick around for just 15-30mins and leave.

The best answer to this thread is to asses each wedding differently.

There has been many times when the 2nd shooter has been a lot of help. Theres also been many times when the 2nd shooter just sucked.

Pros and Cons for each. Just take each wedding differently I reckon.

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 24, 2011 23:48 |  #22

As I mentioned earlier, if you need to be in 2 places at the same time, then you might need a second shooter. It's not rocket science folks.:)

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 24, 2011 23:53 |  #23

+1 to that :)

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 25, 2011 05:45 |  #24

I've shot both bride and groom's prep bunches of times. If they're both getting ready in the same hotel, it's nothing to grab a couple of cameras and run from the bride to the groom for 10 minutes to get some shots for album purposes; that's all it takes. But this only works if they're getting ready in the same place.

Twice, I've had a bride who insisted on her privacy while getting ready and asked that I shoot only the groom's prep.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Macjager
69 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 25, 2011 05:48 as a reply to  @ Peacefield's post |  #25

if the wedding in on a grassy knoll...:cool:

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,862 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 25, 2011 09:22 as a reply to  @ Macjager's post |  #26

I solved the problem. I married my second shooter:lol:

we go as a team to every wedding we photograph-- clients love it-- and so do we.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,862 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 25, 2011 09:35 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #27

I have shot plenty of wedding by myself but i will say i think its best to always have to shooters present.

Reason #1-- if i were to fall and hurt myself, get sick and start puking all over the place... client is screwed and so is your business when you get sued.

Reason#2-- for my wife and i, it allows us to get 2 different perspectives into an event and also allows us to do things you cant do solo. Example, im at the front of the chucrch photographing the bridal party and dad walking her down the isle. Wife is at the back doing to same thing. during the ceremony..one of use concentrates on whats going on with the bride and groom, the other is looking for mom and dad wiping tears and expressions from parents.

I dont care what the guys say, and ive been there as well, the brides are more relaxed and comfortable with a woman in that dressing room v/s staging shots with a male photographer present. My wife gets some amazing shots because she is a woman and the girls just relax and be themselves. Girls are running all over the place in their bras,panties and slips, carrying on an having a good time and doing the stuff that girls do,isnt gonna happen with a male photographer in there. Trust me, ive seen some of the stuff that goes on in the photos. a lot of it is never gonna go in an album but the girls love it when the get the proofs back. Mom seeing her daughter put that bridal dress over her head, that first look they get when they see her in the dress, stuff like that while its happening v/s staged.........not gonna happen with a guy in the changng area

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 25, 2011 09:43 |  #28

umphotography wrote in post #13449237 (external link)
I dont care what the guys say, and ive been there as well, the brides are more relaxed and comfortable with a woman in that dressing room v/s staging shots with a male photographer present. My wife gets some amazing shots because she is a woman and the girls just relax and be themselves. Girls are running all over the place in their bras,panties and slips, carrying on an having a good time and doing the stuff that girls do,isnt gonna happen with a male photographer in there. Trust me, ive seen some of the stuff that goes on in the photos. a lot of it is never gonna go in an album but the girls love it when the get the proofs back. Mom seeing her daughter put that bridal dress over her head, that first look they get when they see her in the dress, stuff like that while its happening v/s staged.........not gonna happen with a guy in the changng area

Depends on the girls. Some are shy, others don't care. I've seen plenty of bridal panties.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 25, 2011 09:48 |  #29

Big Mike wrote in post #13446432 (external link)

Was this the wedding we worked together for in September? :)

Sometimes you need to cover the groom's side. The wedding Big Mike and I did together just this month required coverage at the groom's prep. They were all going to an upscale men's spa downtown and getting shaved and styled by the spa. That is the kind of prep that might require a second shooter. (Actually there were FOUR of us shooting that wedding... but that included video) But often, I just tell the bride that I'd rather have double coverage of the bride and her girls.

I also much prefer to shoot formals with another person. I carry a lot of lights and gear and need someone to cart and hold lights. I can do it alone, but you can work faster and get more photos with a second person to help.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,862 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 25, 2011 10:26 |  #30

picturecrazy wrote in post #13449275 (external link)
Was this the wedding we worked together for in September? :)

I also much prefer to shoot formals with another person. I carry a lot of lights and gear and need someone to cart and hold lights. I can do it alone, but you can work faster and get more photos with a second person to help.

And this is a huge reason. You get 2 sets of eyes on that group. If your the lead, your concentrating on the pose and the lighting. A good second, and my wife is great at this,watches for a lot of the details like a flipped up coller, clipped head, tilted flowers, flower petals on the floor, stuff like that. Plus with a second you can heard them in/out a lot faster and get more shots, especially on large bridal parties. Trying to get 20 people all on the same page can be a chore.

Be Honest with yourself, i know i have had to fix krap like i mentioned in PS after i got home. With my wife present, thats almost a non issue anymore. I dont swap heads and eyes anymore, non of that stuff, because we have 2 sets of trained eyes on the bridal party.

Plus Karen gets in there with a 70-200 and clicks off a lot of candids during those formals,,lots of really great expressions.

We go with two becuase we are a husband/wife team and thats how me markets ourselves as well. Will tell you, its a heck of alot easier and we tend to get better expressions and more shots and more of them with 2 people sharing in the work load.

You guys that say you are getting duplication,,,,,,,Dont let it happen. Yell your seconds, i want you doing this, that, while i do a particur task. If im clicking off formals, shes getting candids if the bridal party, mom in awwww while her daughter is getting the formals done, bouquets while its happening, expressions of the girls in the bridal party,,,,lots you can do with a good second. Its worth every penny of their $200.00-300 your gonna pay them for the day.

Talk your brides into the extra expense and just factor it into what you do. The time you save in Photoshop cloning out stuff is worth the expense alone. Plus you dont get home with your butt 6 feet below sea level after every wedding. Its just a more relaxed approach and better way to do it. After doing plenty solo, I will cut back a little if i had to just to make things easier on me. In the long run, you can probably book another one for the month that more than offsets any costs your gonna have.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

5,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
how do you know a wedding requires 2nd and 3rd shooter?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.