Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 17:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D Flash not working

Bogino
472 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 24, 2011 17:28 |  #1

Hopefully just a settings issue on my part as I am new to the 7D and still trying to learn all the functions. However, the pop up flash just doesn't seem to be working. When I set the dial to fully automatic mode and then press "menu" I see "Flash Control" at the bottom of the screen. When I select that it takes me to the Flash Control screen and it shows Flash Firing is "enable". Right below that it says "Built-in flash func. setting" and when I select that I get this: "This menu cannot be displayed. External flash is attached". I have no external or seperate flash with this camera. Directly below another option is "External flash func. setting" and when I select that I get: "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off".

Also--thre is a flash button on the front of the camera which I tried pressing which I believe is supposed to cause the built in fash to pop open but nothing happens when I press that.

Help please if any suggestions. Thank You.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 24, 2011 17:37 |  #2

Do you have anything on the flash shoe...like a shoe cover or protector? That will prevent the built in flash from functioning.

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 24, 2011 17:40 as a reply to  @ NU27D's post |  #3

Sorry but never heard of a "flash shoe" or "shoe cover" so not sure where to look.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 24, 2011 17:40 |  #4

I believe there is a micro switch on the external flash shoe.

If this is stuck down it will prevent internal flash operation.

You should be able to look and confirm visually.

It it is stuck down, you might be able to pop it up with a pin.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Nov 24, 2011 17:47 |  #5

Bogino wrote in post #13446945 (external link)
Sorry but never heard of a "flash shoe" or "shoe cover" so not sure where to look.

The flash shoe is the metal piece on top where you attach an external flash.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

musashi
795 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Location: Winchester, CA / San Diego, CA / North Hollywood, CA

Nov 24, 2011 17:50 |  #6

Had this problem before. Your pop the micro switch back up using your nail and puliing up the metal ramp looking thingy in your hot shoe.

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

--==Gear List & Feedback==--

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 25, 2011 12:04 as a reply to  @ musashi's post |  #7

The hot shoe can't have anything occupying it which causes the camera to interpret that an external flash is being used...... that is switching it off. Anything including a cover or protector will simulate an external flash and thus disabling the pop up flash. A cover isn't an included accessory ...you would have had to acquired one and placed it on the shoe. It sounds like you didn't. As others have said check the switch.

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 25, 2011 12:07 as a reply to  @ NU27D's post |  #8

Thanks for all the comments. A little bit of jiggling with a tine screw driver and I resolved my problem. Works fine now. Thx.

sponsored links

4,357 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 7D Flash not working
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.