Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Nov 2011 (Friday) 19:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you use with your 1Dc?

BenjaminMH
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 25, 2011 19:37 |  #1
bannedPermanently

Hey forum,

I will be receiving my 1D "Classic" any day now. As I wait for it to pass through customs, I figured i would ask a couple of questions that have been on my mind. Please only answer if you have sufficient knowledge of the camera.

1. What CF Card do you use with yours and why do you like/dislike it?

2. What is your favorite lens combo with this body?

For Question 1, I would appreciate a link to where I can purchase it. For Question 2, please feel free to post sample images taken with the combo.

I would also appreciate any tidbits of information or pointers that you think I should know

Thanks for you help,

Benjamin

sponsored links
Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 25, 2011 19:47 |  #2

Lens choice will depend on what you like to shoot. For a card always go with the fastest possible. Remember some cards are limited to 2gig capacity even if they are a 4gig card while some you can use the entire 4gigs for storage. You should check out the 1d classic section for more details.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 25, 2011 19:54 |  #3
bannedPermanently

Thorrulz wrote in post #13451330 (external link)
Lens choice will depend on what you like to shoot. For a card always go with the fastest possible. Remember some cards are limited to 2gig capacity even if they are a 4gig card while some you can use the entire 4gigs for storage. You should check out the 1d classic section for more details.

Thank you for the quick and detailed response. As for the lens question, I was referring to any and all types of lenses. I was asking for a favorite combo regardless of type, mostly in terms of how well people find the lens works with the body (IQ, Makes use of the powerful AF, Sharpness, etc...). So, with that being said, what is your favorite setup, Thorrulz?

ConverseMan
766 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 25, 2011 19:59 |  #4

Thorrulz wrote in post #13451330 (external link)

Some cameras cannot write as fast as what the card can. So - I would do a little research and see what the max writing speed of the 1Dc is. I believe a 30mb/s card should be just fine - but the faster cards will not be utilized. imho

Nathan W.
Nikon D700 | Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 85mm 1.8 | AlienBees
Flickr (external link)

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 25, 2011 20:03 |  #5
bannedPermanently

ConverseMan wrote in post #13451372 (external link)
Some cameras cannot write as fast as what the card can. So - I would do a little research and see what the max writing speed of the 1Dc is. I believe a 30mb/s card should be just fine - but the faster cards will not be utilized. imho

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely check it out.

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 25, 2011 20:32 |  #6

BenjaminMH wrote in post #13451292 (external link)
1. What CF Card do you use with yours and why do you like/dislike it?

2. What is your favorite lens combo with this body?

I've had two classics before and they are really fun bodies. At today's prices, they make great toys.

1) I bought a pair of Sandisk Extreme 2GB cards. As others said, anything over this is not utilized (although there are tricks to make 4GB work... do a quick search) Never had issues with these.... good cards are good cards.

2) I really really REALLY liked the Sigma 30mm. The image circle is just slightly too small for the sensor, but it doesn't vignette much from f/1.4 to f/2.8 where I used it most. The 40mm equivalent field of view was very comfortable and the lens is a great value.

I also liked the 17-40 on APS-H cameras because it gives a very nice "walkaround" range.

Make sure you have a good/newer/fresh battery. 1D's love to eat up older ones.

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 25, 2011 20:43 |  #7
bannedPermanently

Cesium wrote in post #13451499 (external link)
I've had two classics before and they are really fun bodies. At today's prices, they make great toys.

1) I bought a pair of Sandisk Extreme 2GB cards. As others said, anything over this is not utilized (although there are tricks to make 4GB work... do a quick search) Never had issues with these.... good cards are good cards.

2) I really really REALLY liked the Sigma 30mm. The image circle is just slightly too small for the sensor, but it doesn't vignette much from f/1.4 to f/2.8 where I used it most. The 40mm equivalent field of view was very comfortable and the lens is a great value.

I also liked the 17-40 on APS-H cameras because it gives a very nice "walkaround" range.

Make sure you have a good/newer/fresh battery. 1D's love to eat up older ones.

THIS is the response I was looking for. Very detailed and answered each question individually. Thank you.

Please keep the lens setups coming!

Steveod
766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 25, 2011 22:00 |  #8

OK I use 4GB Kingston cards reformated on my pc which will give you arround 750 RAW shots.
Wouldn't have a clue how fast they write but my cards are nothing special and I rarely have
problems with a full buffer
Next lenses ,I started with the 28-135is and for the longer shots an old 70-210 USM , both of
these work very well on an APS-H, I also use the EF 20-35 USM [non L verion], a old Sigma 17-35
is a good cheap wide angle, and for the last two years an EF 24-70L is my most used lens on
my old 1Dc. I do recommend the EF 28-135is as a not too expensive starter.

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 25, 2011 22:04 |  #9

I used the Sigma 70-200 ex dg HSM II on mine before I went with the 7D and mostly primes. I shot sports when I had my 1d classic and 1d MII.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 25, 2011 22:16 |  #10
bannedPermanently

Steveod wrote in post #13451876 (external link)
OK I use 4GB Kingston cards reformated on my pc which will give you arround 750 RAW shots.
Wouldn't have a clue how fast they write but my cards are nothing special and I rarely have
problems with a full buffer
Next lenses ,I started with the 28-135is and for the longer shots an old 70-210 USM , both of
these work very well on an APS-H, I also use the EF 20-35 USM [non L verion], a old Sigma 17-35
is a good cheap wide angle, and for the last two years an EF 24-70L is my most used lens on
my old 1Dc. I do recommend the EF 28-135is as a not too expensive starter.

Thanks for the reply. I've heard kingstons are generally a good buy

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 25, 2011 22:18 |  #11
bannedPermanently

Thorrulz wrote in post #13451896 (external link)
I used the Sigma 70-200 ex dg HSM II on mine before I went with the 7D and mostly primes. I shot sports when I had my 1d classic and 1d MII.

How did you like the Sigma? I've been considering the f4l vs the Sigma. How is sharpness and IQ?

Steveod
766 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 25, 2011 22:25 |  #12

The lens I would like next is an EF 70-200 f2.8 to replace the 70-210 USM
Buy a couple of aftermarket batteries [research the 1Dc forum]
Other lenses I use are EF 50 1.8 mk1 and EF 100 f2.0, both very sharp.

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 26, 2011 05:29 |  #13

Any name brand 2-4 gig card from a reputable seller should be sufficient. The 1D image size isn't that big (relative to todays mega-monsters).

Lens combo is subjective to your subject of interest. For broad range of uses, I like my 70-200 or 24-70. My Sigma 85 really shines on the 1Dmk2.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 26, 2011 07:53 |  #14
bannedPermanently

Unregistered.Coward wrote in post #13452848 (external link)
Any name brand 2-4 gig card from a reputable seller should be sufficient. The 1D image size isn't that big (relative to todays mega-monsters).

Lens combo is subjective to your subject of interest. For broad range of uses, I like my 70-200 or 24-70. My Sigma 85 really shines on the 1Dmk2.

Your gear list is INSANE

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 26, 2011 08:27 |  #15

BenjaminMH wrote in post #13451947 (external link)
How did you like the Sigma? I've been considering the f4l vs the Sigma. How is sharpness and IQ?

Here is a LINK (external link) to where you can still purchase the Sigma.

I sold mine when I stopped doing sports photography and migrated to children's/portrait photography. Any of the 70-200 brands would be an excellent choice for portraits I might add with the exception being children. I prefer primes due to size meaning kids don't tend to pay any attention to a 28,35,50 or even an 85mm lens, but throw a huge chunk of glass on the camera and you'll get the "deer looking in headlights look" more often than you'll get natural looks or reactions.

Here are a few shots of my 1D/Sigma 70-200 when I had them.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The HS Wrestling was shot at f/2.8 on the Sigma and iso 1600 on the 1D.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This was shot with the 1D/Sigma and a YN460-II on camera flash.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I shot thousands of photo's with the 1D/Sigma and the keeper rate was phenomenal. A fast body/lens combo is essential in shooting sports.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

One last pic.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,702 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you use with your 1Dc?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.