Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Nov 2011 (Friday) 19:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you use with your 1Dc?

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 26, 2011 08:31 |  #16
bannedPermanently

Thorrulz wrote in post #13453147 (external link)
Here is a LINK (external link) to where you can still purchase the Sigma.

I sold mine when I stopped doing sports photography and migrated to children's/portrait photography. Any of the 70-200 brands would be an excellent choice for portraits I might add with the exception being children. I prefer primes due to size meaning kids don't tend to pay any attention to a 28,35,50 or even an 85mm lens, but throw a huge chunk of glass on the camera and you'll get the "deer looking in headlights look" more often than you'll get natural looks or reactions.

Here are a few shots of my 1D/Sigma 70-200 when I had them.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

The HS Wrestling was shot at f/2.8 on the Sigma and iso 1600 on the 1D.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This was shot with the 1D/Sigma and a YN460-II on camera flash.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I shot thousands of photo's with the 1D/Sigma and the keeper rate was phenomenal. A fast body/lens combo is essential in shooting sports.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

One last pic.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Awesome picrures, Thorrulz. I really like the high-ISO examples. Not bad for a dinosaur!

sponsored links
SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 26, 2011 11:03 |  #17

I would really recommend a 50mm, I had the sigma and a few canon nifty fiftys (mkI and mk2). you can do really nice environmental portraits with those and the 1.3 crop sensory. I eventually sold my 50's for a canon 85/1.8, and I love it as well. I did that for more compression, but I will be buying another 50 for sure. I had a 17-40, it was fantastic! just wide enough to give a wow factor, while still being able to do portraits at the long end with little distortion.

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 26, 2011 11:34 |  #18
bannedPermanently

SaxonIV wrote in post #13453619 (external link)
I would really recommend a 50mm, I had the sigma and a few canon nifty fiftys (mkI and mk2). you can do really nice environmental portraits with those and the 1.3 crop sensory. I eventually sold my 50's for a canon 85/1.8, and I love it as well. I did that for more compression, but I will be buying another 50 for sure. I had a 17-40, it was fantastic! just wide enough to give a wow factor, while still being able to do portraits at the long end with little distortion.

I have a 50mm II and I love it. It is one of my favorite focal lengths even on a crop sensor. I plan on getting an L telephoto pretty soon. Possibly a prime.

-DOOMED-
50 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 26, 2011 15:08 |  #19

I use mine with the Tamron 70-200 2.8, 28-75 2.8 and Sigma 50 1.4. I usually use a 4GB card from Lexar on it, but I never fill it up shooting at some of the events I go to. The 1Dc is more my backup body, but I still really enjoy it with faster glass. All I need is a super wide and I'm set. Something like a Sigma 12-24 would be perfect, but for most of my needs my 28-75 gets the job done.

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 26, 2011 15:41 |  #20
bannedPermanently

-DOOMED- wrote in post #13454424 (external link)
I use mine with the Tamron 70-200 2.8, 28-75 2.8 and Sigma 50 1.4. I usually use a 4GB card from Lexar on it, but I never fill it up shooting at some of the events I go to. The 1Dc is more my backup body, but I still really enjoy it with faster glass. All I need is a super wide and I'm set. Something like a Sigma 12-24 would be perfect, but for most of my needs my 28-75 gets the job done.

How do you like the Tamron 70-200? Does it focus quickly enough for your needs?

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 26, 2011 15:57 |  #21

BenjaminMH wrote in post #13454572 (external link)

I tested both the Tamron/Sigma alternatives to the Canon 70-200bodies f/2.8 lens. Optically the Tamron/Sigma lens perform favorable to the more expensive Canon models.

The deciding factor to go with the Sigma version over the Tamron lens was the focusing motor. While Sigma uses a HSM motor similar to Canons USM, Tamron chose to go with a much slower Micro version that struggles to keep focus locked on fast moving objects.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 26, 2011 15:59 |  #22
bannedPermanently

Thorrulz wrote in post #13454635 (external link)
I tested both the Tamron/Sigma alternatives to the Canon 70-200bodies f/2.8 lens. Optically the Tamron/Sigma lens perform favorable to the more expensive Canon models.

The deciding factor to go with the Sigma version over the Tamron lens was the focusing motor. While Sigma uses a HSM motor similar to Canons USM, Tamron chose to go with a much slower Micro version that struggles to keep focus locked on fast moving objects.

I have heard that the Tamron is slightly sharper than the Sigma and Canon. Is this true?

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 26, 2011 16:06 |  #23

The difference is negligible at best between the three. If you shoot wide open I found the Sigma version was the sharpest by a slight margin.

The Tamron was just to slow and noisy for my taste. But if used for portraits or non sports it still is a viable alternative.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 26, 2011 16:09 |  #24
bannedPermanently

Thorrulz wrote in post #13454669 (external link)
The difference is negligible at best between the three. If you shoot wide open I found the Sigma version was the sharpest by a slight margin.

The Tamron was just to slow and noisy for my taste. But if used for portraits or non sports it still is a viable alternative.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have a feeling that I might opt for the slower f4L

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 26, 2011 16:24 |  #25

I use Sandisk Extreme III 2GB cards which seem to write fast enough for me, even in burst mode. My go-to lenses are the EF 50 1.4 and 70-200 2.8 IS. Both focus fast and accurately with this body. The 17-40 ƒ4 is also a good fit and sees occasional use.

@BenjaminMH - I've never used the Tamron. But DP Review seems to indicate it does indeed come close the the Canon version. But they do criticise the focus system.

~ Wallace
Gear List

BenjaminMH
THREAD ­ STARTER
". . . just a myth"
3,287 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 26, 2011 16:28 |  #26
bannedPermanently

xhack wrote in post #13454737 (external link)
I use Sandisk Extreme III 2GB cards which seem to write fast enough for me, even in burst mode. My go-to lenses are the EF 50 1.4 and 70-200 2.8 IS. Both focus fast and accurately with this body. The 17-40 ƒ4 is also a good fit and sees occasional use.

@BenjaminMH - I've never used the Tamron. But DP Review seems to indicate it does indeed come close the the Canon version. But they do criticise the focus system.

Thanks for the information. I plan on eventually acquiring the 17-40 and the 70-200mm f4

-DOOMED-
50 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 26, 2011 23:05 |  #27

BenjaminMH wrote in post #13454572 (external link)

Ive never had an issue with it, but then again I use it for when they push me back at crime scenes, I don't shoot sports often. I find the focus to be adequate for my needs, it also seems to hold focus pretty well for me.

sponsored links

2,720 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you use with your 1Dc?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.