Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 11:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you take pictures with yourself in them?

NoahKrueger
142 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 26, 2011 11:52 |  #1

Whenever I am out and about with my wife and we want to take a couples shot, I always get a little nervous handing over my camera to a complete stranger. For 2 reasons:

1. The camera and lens together are relatively expensive
2. It usually takes about a minute before I can talk the person through composing the shot and actually pressing the button

How do you deal with having others take your picture? Do you ever simply use a tripod because it's too much of a hassle?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/noahkrueger (external link)

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 26, 2011 12:45 |  #2

I generally use a tripod.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 26, 2011 12:52 |  #3

JeffreyG wrote in post #13453964 (external link)
I generally use a tripod.

+1 Tripod plus remote trigger.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 26, 2011 12:52 |  #4

Tell them to wear the neck strap ;)

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

NoahKrueger
THREAD ­ STARTER
142 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 26, 2011 12:53 |  #5

emelvee wrote in post #13453985 (external link)

Haha, always! I even tell my wife that :)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/noahkrueger (external link)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Nov 26, 2011 13:09 |  #6

I use a tripod to hold the camera and an electronic remote to fire the camera. I normally set the focus and exposure manually with my wife standing in her place for the photo. Once I've set it up, I simply walk to my place and the discreetly trip the remote a couple of times.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 26, 2011 14:02 |  #7

On vacation I use a small table tripod and remote controll.

I use f.6-9 and fix the sharpnes on some object with the same distance I me.

I have a 60D so I flip out the screen to see where I stand. Then I shoot.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 26, 2011 15:32 |  #8

NoahKrueger wrote in post #13453771 (external link)
Whenever I am out and about with my wife and we want to take a couples shot, I always get a little nervous handing over my camera to a complete stranger. For 2 reasons:

1. The camera and lens together are relatively expensive
2. It usually takes about a minute before I can talk the person through composing the shot and actually pressing the button

How do you deal with having others take your picture? Do you ever simply use a tripod because it's too much of a hassle?

You might want to revisit who you are having shoot the photo and have it setup ready for them just to hit the button. I have asked plenty of people to take a picture for me and it takes all of 10 seconds. As a rule I target someone with a camera figuring they have a clue though they often want to start playing with settings - just frame it and shoot!!.

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

Preeb
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 26, 2011 18:12 as a reply to  @ Justaddwata's post |  #9

I always have my Gorilla Pod in my camera pack, so I use that with the 10 second self timer. I take a couple of test shots, then set the timer and get into the picture.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 26, 2011 19:58 |  #10

Preeb wrote in post #13455121 (external link)
I always have my Gorilla Pod in my camera pack, so I use that with the 10 second self timer. I take a couple of test shots, then set the timer and get into the picture.

+1 even the tripod is light-weight too

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 27, 2011 00:17 |  #11

Timer and hold it out like most P&S. Nicer output than a P&S but same idea. I like the concept personally. Those are for general shots. If I do portraits of me and my family then obviously tripod.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 27, 2011 01:03 as a reply to  @ _aravena's post |  #12

Tripod or rest the camera on something, set the self-timer and get positioned in the frame before it goes off. I have my camera set to manually choose focus point and 99% of people who use P&S don't get it - they're used to the camera automatically selecting the focus point, so it's rare to get a shot in focus when handing the camera to somebody else.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 27, 2011 18:22 |  #13

emelvee wrote in post #13453985 (external link)

This^^^
On our honeymoon a few weeks ago I handed my 7D + 17-55mm to a woman to take a pic of us...out of nowhere she starts bobbling the camera and I had to LITERALLY make a diving catch to save it from the concrete. Guess I also should have known better when she said "Ok, let me put down this drink."...don't let drunk people hold your valuables.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 27, 2011 22:14 |  #14

Heh! I can think of times when I've been out and about with a lady friend and having a tripod with a wireless remote would be sweet!

My problem is I never think to "come prepared" in those types of situations -- it's natural to bring a camera bag but the remote/tripod doesn't enter my mind!

So, it's occasionally a bypasser that has done the favor. The problem is that another thing tends to not enter my mind, which is the fact that I have tended to leave my cameras on rear-button focus:(!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

4,252 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you take pictures with yourself in them?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.