Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 10 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 23:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Most expensive photo in the world

Bananapie
522 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 25, 2011 13:11 |  #46

I'm actually pretty shocked to see the jealously of others here that claim in some form to be artists.

Without talking about the price, because something is worth whatever someone will pay for it, let's talk about some reasons this piece could be valuable to the buyer:

- It's by Gursky, an artist that has made a name for himself and thus is an investment
- The medium is impressive. Roughly 6' x 12' with special ink on plexiglass.
- The interpretation of the painting might be powerful.

Most of the bashers in this thread didn't have a connection to this scene beforehand, so immediately judged it as boring picture of a river and some grass. Ironically, this was somewhat the intent of the photograph, as it shows a surreal scene that is out of the ordinary for that particular place. If someone shot a picture of Time's Square and removed all the buildings and people, it probably would not be an interesting photograph, but it does carry a message or meaning to some people.

Photography is a tool used to carry a vision. Not everyone is going to appreciate the photographer's vision. This picture was well thought out, and although many people...MANY people...may not like it, namecalling is not deserved.

sponsored links
Ben ­ Daniels
950 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 27, 2011 06:08 |  #47

Waaaahooooooooooooo!
At that rate, my photos are worth $6,800,976-54c!
YAY :-)

5DMK2 w/Grip: 40D w/Grip: Canon D60: 100mm F2.8 Macro USM : EF17-35mm F2.8
L : EF70-200mm f4L IS : Canon 1.4x Converter II : BG-E2 grip :TC420EX : Tamrac Ex5 bag :Manfrotto 055XPROB:Lee Filter System

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 27, 2011 08:12 |  #48

I can't see any bashers or jealous people here...

My brother is an artist and makes good money out of it. His friends or other artis friends of mine would all feel offended when I say... that big painting with a blue dot on is crap... When I ask them to explain me, lead me into their world of beauty, it normaly ends up with terminology of this painting is using this technic, belongs to this tradition, is ironic over this cind of art theory and so on... And I say, is it beatiful?... No. Does it tell me anything... No. Do I like the lines... öh... NO. Is there anything there that can't be easily dupclicated... No.

Do this in an galery and you will be called an art-hater, ignorant and enemy of art.

In my definition of art, art should create some cind of emotions like tears, smiles, compassions, love, hope, dreams when ordinary people watch it, well then they are true artist in my eyes.

The picture that is discussed here, tells me nothing. It is probably technicaly great, but still it tells me nothing. A picture without a message is in my eyes just as interesting as a wallpaper. No mather how much great work he has done in the past. A picture should be judged totaly independent of the name put on it, and independent of the past production of the artis. In my eyes the price of this picture is rediculous.

So, are you a jealous basher when you make jokes about this picture. Not at all.

The same cind of discussion can be made with music. I have been to many concerts, with highly educated musicians, and have problem with not falling to sleep. I hear the same music being played with other artists, and I can't stop crying. The first is just technic, perfectly made but not touching my heart. Therefore, they have left music and create just well articulated noise. The second, communicate to my emotions, lift me up into another world, makes me cry or feel alive. Thats when you make art....

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 27, 2011 21:37 |  #49

kent andersen wrote in post #13457118 (external link)
In my definition of art...

And therein lies your problem :lol:

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

elitejp
Goldmember
1,701 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 28, 2011 05:00 as a reply to  @ Spacemunkie's post |  #50

And thats what art is, just something an individual enjoys. there is no right or wrong. I have friends that enjoy pics of themselves that I used direct flash. Who cares. If you like it you like it. As for this pic of a sidewalk with some grass and a "river" all I can say is, I dont like it.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,549 posts
Gallery: 583 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 28, 2011 05:28 |  #51

Each to there own I suppose but if I had shot that it would have been disregarded pretty quickly once I got home. (And no I'm not jealous, and I don't consider myself an artist)

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket
CV15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | CV40 | Batis 85

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,902 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 29, 2011 09:30 |  #52

kent andersen wrote in post #13457118 (external link)
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them...

Good thing. Some might call it art! :mrgreen:

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2011 10:07 |  #53

I've always thought the Mona LIsa was a pretty mediocre painting.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Tadaaa
926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 29, 2011 10:18 |  #54

Hmmmm,,, Should I buy a picture of a stream,,, or 10 Ferraris...?

(Weird Questions really wealthy people ask themselves)

- 1D & G9 & Sigma DP1 & Nikon D800 -

mrbubbles
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 29, 2011 10:18 |  #55

The more I look at this photo the more I appreciate it. It has a lot of symmetry. The proportions are almost perfect.

Gear List
Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 29, 2011 14:37 |  #56

lol

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 29, 2011 15:59 |  #57

tkbslc wrote in post #13468199 (external link)
I've always thought the Mona LIsa was a pretty mediocre painting.

I've seen it at the Louvre in Paris. It sucked. :lol:

I've actually seen most of the top art in Europe and nothing comes even remotely close to the Sistine chapel. I would bet that he didn't get even more than a bag of beans for making the most amazing piece of art in the world...

My 500PX (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,922 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 29, 2011 16:54 as a reply to  @ Canon_Lover's post |  #58

My words from another thread:
"There are many reasons this work is taken seriously. Now whether I like the work or would buy the work myself is irrelevant.

Take Weston for instance. He had such strong vision his nudes look like shells. His shells looked like clouds. His clouds looked like peppers and his peppers looked like nudes. Not matter what he shot his vision came through. Thats what makes a photographic artist special. Vision. Its not ordinary. Take a look around and tell me how many photographers work all looks the same. Most. Is that in any way special? Should that kind of ordinary work command big bucks. No, because its not special, its the norm.

Now like Gursky's work or not when you look at his work, this landscape looks like his architectural work. In no way am I trying to compare Gursky to Weston but like Weston he has vision and his work reflects his style. How many photographers can say that. Only a few.

When I was a lot younger, I was talking with an artist about some of Pollocks work and I said this is nothing special anyone could do that. He said to me, then do it. I couldn't have been more wrong then about Pollocks work and it did take some time for me to learn to appreciate it and abstract expressionism but that conversation with that artist was enlightening to me.

I remember having a conversation a while back concerning a Cindy Sherman piece that sold for big bucks. The image was part of a series and someone said that the image should stand on its own and the artists other work shouldn't matter. The problem with that thinking is that the people that spend that kind of money are concerned with the artists other work because if ts a private collector or a museum (which these kind of prices usually clearly reflect) they are in many cases trying to fill in a missing piece of the artist work.

To many new or young photographers are trying to get the one great image. That can be very dangerous because for one in most cases it goes against one being able to develop a style. Following themes or related images do help one develop a style. When you produce a book or do a show, a theme of relating images should be the goal. One great image no more makes a great photographer or a great body of work as would one great at bat make an MVP.

Ok and lets talk about way I think this piece works. I didn't really want to comment on the piece because I haven't actually seen the piece in person and the scale of it is part of how it should be properly looked at and evaluated.

First it looks like a Gursky photograph. Its a landscape that resembles his other work. The scale of the piece fits with what the artist is trying to communicate using scale as part of the visual language we should all be looking to become as fluent in because it maybe even more important and is certainly more difficult than the technical portion of image making.

Ok now lets look at what visual information we have. The image is very horizontal and is void of any vertical lines. It is a very monochromatic color scheme using (in the true since of the meaning not the new digital term) and green is also considered a peaceful color. So that color reenforces the since of peacefulness that are being portrayed by the strong horizontal lines.

These are all part of that visual language that we should all as visual artist striving to become literate in. I can only imagine when looking at the real piece with its scale 81 X 140 inches you start seeing all kinds of other possibilities the harder you look for them.

Again we as photographer should all be happy that photography is fetching painting prices."

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2011 16:59 |  #59

I dunno, sometimes art becomes famous and valuable for weird reasons. This Cezanne painting sold for 60 million.

IMAGE: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/82/Paulcezanneart.jpg

It's not anything special, nor is it technically impressive. But it's art and it's famous and desirable.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,922 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Nov 29, 2011 17:05 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #60

And the most important part it LOOKS like a Cezanne and not like everything else.

sponsored links

19,109 views & 0 likes for this thread
Most expensive photo in the world
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.