Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 22:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

out of camera vs edits, lets see them

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 26, 2011 22:42 |  #1

i have seen other threads like this, but they have too many rules. lets post comparisons between out of camera images compared to your edits.
my first example below shows how the camera cant reveal much information in the shadows. without editing i think its impossible for the camera to get an image like the below edit.. unless i have a dozen or so strobes to even things out. hopefully more of you guys can share some stuff here. thanks

** Edit: out of camera simply means unedited by yourself. It can be the original JPEG your camera pushed out, can be a RAW with picture style intact via canons DPP, a RAW passing through ACR with default presets or anything along those lines.
The after can be whatever the heck you want it to be. If you want to show the power of RAW conversion or show how you can photoshop makeup on someones face or whatever. The idea is to see our editing skills by comparing the before with after.
before:

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6042/6376950053_80d7c1ee4a_z.jpg
after:
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7161/6409209693_3d8ba5084e_z.jpg

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

sponsored links
DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Nov 27, 2011 09:08 |  #2

The OOC version is better, the processed one has lost it's pop. Contrast is flat.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,509 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 27, 2011 09:15 |  #3

The before is better than the after....:eek:

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 27, 2011 10:37 |  #4

haha my editing sux (or i have chosen my jpeg presets well) :). Is there anyone else who would like to show some better examples?

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 27, 2011 11:58 |  #5

Something completely different:
Before:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

After:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

More edits on my website: http://www.damkot.com/​editing.html (external link)
(Most shot by another photographer, edited by me)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Mr.Beast
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 27, 2011 12:37 |  #6

René Damkot wrote in post #13457943 (external link)
Something completely different:
Before:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

After:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

More edits on my website: http://www.damkot.com/​editing.html (external link)
(Most shot by another photographer, edited by me)

Ouch! Really nice job, but I'd be screaming at the other photographer, "Get it right in camera!" But, it helps pay the bills I'm assuming...

Anyways, here's something similar. I love white seamless. Thanks again for you're help in my thread René.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_8927-Edit-2 (external link) by Frank Mendez (external link), on Flickr

I know the main light isn't quite "right" for this subject matter, but I didn't have a person and this was the closest available thing. Maybe a little far on the pp but I'm having fun!:D

5D classic - 1000d - 28/2.8 - 50/1.8 - 85/1.8 - Mamiya RB67
flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 27, 2011 13:19 |  #7

Mr.Beast wrote in post #13458111 (external link)
I'd be screaming at the other photographer, "Get it right in camera!"

What image are you referring to?

Sometimes you can't (economically) get it right in camera, sometimes you have to "shoot" a product that's not in production yet or at a location that's non existent…

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Mr.Beast
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 27, 2011 14:23 |  #8

René Damkot wrote in post #13458250 (external link)
What image are you referring to?

Sometimes you can't (economically) get it right in camera, sometimes you have to "shoot" a product that's not in production yet or at a location that's non existent…

I just meant you having to mask or whatever technique you used in post. Yeah, I just realized the photographer who shot it could have only had, like, 2 minutes. But I have heard stories. The ones in which the photographer does a not so great job then sends it off to someone else to save it. Probably not exactly the case here, but it was my initial thought.

flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 27, 2011 14:44 |  #9

The image I posted here I shot myself, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it, but linked to it ;)

Space was too limited to decently light the background separately without getting too much spill on the models: I was with my back against the wall already…
But yeah, getting it right (or: better) in camera does simplify PP. Then again: This was fairly simple masking.

Side note: In your bottle shot, I think the "after" has too much contrast: The green goes almost black.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

Mr.Beast
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 27, 2011 15:03 |  #10

René Damkot wrote in post #13458616 (external link)
The image I posted here I shot myself, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it, but linked to it ;)

Space was too limited to decently light the background separately without getting too much spill on the models: I was with my back against the wall already…
But yeah, getting it right (or: better) in camera does simplify PP. Then again: This was fairly simple masking.

Side note: In your bottle shot, I think the "after" has too much contrast: The green goes almost black.

Yeah, I read the "most shot by another photographer" part and spoke to soon, disregarding the "post your own photos" policy of the forum. Regardless, very nice job. It may be simple masking for you, but not something I'd be willing to tackle with my current set of "skills". Maybe after spending an indiscernible amount of time staring at photoshops' daunting U.I...

And yep I know that is WAY too much contrast. I think I added 2 contrast layers in photoshop, then pumped the contrast some more in lr3. Eh. I like how it looked yesterday. And just so we're sure, I'd never add that much contrast to a person. I remember my very first batch of images through lr:oops:

flickr (external link)

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 27, 2011 15:07 |  #11

Rene, top right corner of the laptop is missing!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

MichiTimm
837 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 27, 2011 18:03 |  #12

Nothing spectacular going on here, but I love these kinds of threads so I'll contribute:

Before:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7154/6414821285_c85a5625ea_z.jpg

After:
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7028/6414816375_1672db1e1a_z.jpg

It's just a snapshot I took at an auto show while looking for something orange to take a picture of. Editing was done in Elements 9 -- basically, I just got jiggy with the Shadows/Highlights adjustments and slammed it with some aggressive Unsharp Masking. Fun! And I kinda dig the results too.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 27, 2011 18:05 |  #13

Just to get things straight: this thread is only for images shot/output as jpegs "straight out of the camera", correct?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

skater911
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 27, 2011 18:38 |  #14

Mr.Beast wrote in post #13458111 (external link)
Ouch! Really nice job, but I'd be screaming at the other photographer, "Get it right in camera!" But, it helps pay the bills I'm assuming...

Anyways, here's something similar. I love white seamless. Thanks again for you're help in my thread René.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_8927-Edit-2 (external link) by Frank Mendez (external link), on Flickr

I know the main light isn't quite "right" for this subject matter, but I didn't have a person and this was the closest available thing. Maybe a little far on the pp but I'm having fun!:D

How do you change the background to look like seamless paper?

Nikon D850 l Nikon 28 1.4E l Nikon 50 1.8 g l Nikon 24-120 F4 l Tamron 100-400 l

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 27, 2011 18:52 |  #15

tonylong wrote in post #13459521 (external link)
Just to get things straight: this thread is only for images shot/output as jpegs "straight out of the camera", correct?

jpeg outputs (or unedited RAW with original jpeg presets) vs edits. The idea is to see our editing skills. Mine are not so good :)

sponsored links

20,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
out of camera vs edits, lets see them
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.