Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 27 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 13:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Paper for HDR prints?

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 27, 2011 13:56 |  #1

Anyone doing their own printing of HDR images, color and black and white? Wondering if there is any paper you have found that works well with HDR? Thanks

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

sponsored links
thomatis
158 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 28, 2011 03:15 |  #2

Why should paper for HDR be any different than paper for single shot images ??

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 28, 2011 03:23 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

It doesn't have to be, but certain photos can be used by different canvases to enhance effect.

I don't ever do or print HDR except once. While comparing epson ultra gloss to ultra luster paper. I noticed the gloss paper accentuated more of the dynamic colors by being shinier.

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

ralff
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 28, 2011 05:00 as a reply to  @ stayhumble's post |  #4

I haven't seen a print yet, live in the boonies, but have read that HDR pops on the metallic papers. Expensive, but guess I will have to spring for a box and give it a try. I shoot to print!

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,104 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 28, 2011 09:38 |  #5

ralff wrote in post #13458391 (external link)
Anyone doing their own printing of HDR images, color and black and white? Wondering if there is any paper you have found that works well with HDR? Thanks

ralff wrote in post #13461693 (external link)
I haven't seen a print yet, live in the boonies, but have read that HDR pops on the metallic papers. Expensive, but guess I will have to spring for a box and give it a try. I shoot to print!

Correct. Paper can make a big difference. HDR's do pop on metallic. Mpix is about the best, but if home printing, try Red River Metal.

HDR's are not as dramatic on a full matte. Even less so on a fine art matte such as Hahnemuhle Photo Rag.

Papers I like most are Ilford Smooth Pearl or the Red River UltraPro Satin 2.0. The RR competes with the ISP, but has less texture than the ISP. I'm actually liking the RR paper a little more than Ilford these days.

Generally, gloss or semi-gloss makes the detail and color of HDR pop better.

Website (external link) |

ralff
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 29, 2011 05:31 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #6

I have been using Red River Papers for a long time but have not tried the metal paper yet, guess I will buy a box and give it a try. I have printed on the UPS2, my stand by paper, and the glossy, like the glossy better for HDR so far. Thanks.

ralff
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 03, 2011 18:47 as a reply to  @ ralff's post |  #7

Just made a couple prints on the RRP Metalic Pearl, really made the HDR pop, printed a B&W image that looks incredible!

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,104 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 03, 2011 19:03 |  #8

ralff wrote in post #13490524 (external link)
Just made a couple prints on the RRP Metalic Pearl, really made the HDR pop, printed a B&W image that looks incredible!

Glad it worked out for you!

Where did you get the B&W profile? I have searched RR for profiles for B&W prints before, using many of their papers, and could find none. Email to cust service replied with the answer that I should use the auto enhance mode on my printer which, of course, is the wrong thing to do. In my experience, their support of BW printing on their papers is very bad.

Website (external link) |

ralff
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 04, 2011 05:25 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #9

I have just been using the profiles in the printer! When I got the 3880 I tried a B&W print, never got a decent one with my 2200, but the prints on the 3880 with the extra blacks looked pretty good. I use NIK plug in's with LR3 and the SilverFXpro to convert to B&W and printed with the glossy paper profile on the Pearl Metalic. B&W was my original interest in photography, getting back to it. Converting my 2200 to 7 shades of B&W pigments with the Cone ink system, hope tom have it converted in a few weeks.

sponsored links

1,709 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paper for HDR prints?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.