Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,958 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 28, 2011 16:32 as a reply to  @ post 13463993 |  #5311

One of the seniors We photographed this season that's going to help out with this project. I used Camerons technique for the skin and redid it with Potrait professional with onOne. Very hard to tell any difference

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i195.photobucke​t.com …nbaby12/IMG_912​8-Edit.jpg (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 28, 2011 18:53 |  #5312

Here are a few for a senior from this past season. Let me know what you think.

Dave

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 28, 2011 18:54 |  #5313

A few more

Dave

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

locky
Goldmember
2,663 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 28, 2011 20:48 |  #5314
bannedPermanent ban

Great job Dave. What was your lighting setup in the first picture?

I just got my first pair of glasses that I didn't think I needed. I apologize to anybody in the past year that I said their pictures were out of focus lol.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 28, 2011 21:10 |  #5315

Dave I like the last one.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

rjharris
Goldmember
1,137 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 28, 2011 21:13 |  #5316

umphotography wrote in post #13463993 (external link)
Short answer-- No-- with lightroom its applied to everything. With PS you layer it in and brush it where you want it

The video link is Cameron rads technique and its modified a bit. Its been posted in this thread before.

Here is my .02 cents on this as well as other techniques that have been posted. Find something you like and stick with it. master it and get fast at it because when you start doing a lot of seniors your not gonna want to sit in front of that monitor and spend 20 minutes processing and smoothing skin. Especially this glam style smoothing that has been posted. Way toooo many zits at this stage of the game for a lot of HS girls. Sure there are some that have great skin like the model in this video, but few and far between 17 yr old HS girls. Spend 10 minutes moving skin around with the patch tool, 20 minutes smoothing the skin,5 more on the eyes,,, at all ads up.

Time is money and this technique really digs into your time. I use onOne for my skin and perfect portrait pro for HS seniors. Tiffany uses portraiture. Yup, its quick and easy and does a nice job. Is camerons technique any better ? Yup, absolutely. Does cameron photograph 30,40,50 HS seniors during a 6 month period? Nope, not even close to that.

I love this technique, but i use it more for models where Im going to pic out 4-5 shots out of 300 for their portfolio and develop them. That technique works until you get busy.

I'm in the process of developing a commercial site for some modeling work that i want to do with some agencies. Guarantee you i will use this technique when getting the final shots up and ready to go. But thats 20-30 models for a commercial site that's going to take the next 4-5 months to develop. Big difference.

Yes it does take longer than using Portraiture. I have that as well and actually used it before I did Cameron's technique. I was lucky with this girl, I think she had two zits I had to worry about and that was it.

jsvphoto
790 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 28, 2011 22:59 |  #5317

Dave, I like that first one (grasping the football with two hands) a lot. Very nice! The other sports shots are good as well, but I really like the first one. On the second image, there are a couple of blemishes on his forehead, and the right side of his face (image left) seems a little over exposed. Together, these two things make my eye wander around the image and miss his eyes...

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 29, 2011 18:47 |  #5318

umphotography wrote in post #13430774 (external link)
HEY Peeps

Denny MFG has a great special right now for solid color freedom cloth backdrops. I just ordered Brilliant red,,,,,10x20 for $89.00:cool:

8x10's or 10x8's are $69.00-- Great for headshots and 3/4 shots

cool prices. I would look at the samples with the models in the shots. Some of the colors dont photograph as shown. Thats probaly why they did that. Light grey photographs TAN,,,,,YUK:cry:

Here is the link

http://www.dennymfg.co​m …b6-45d2-8786-fa6e291aa0de (external link)

damn, I missed the sale. I've been so entwined with my search for a bike that I neglected this site too much and now I have to wait for a new sale. Hopefully they will have another one soon.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2011 22:49 |  #5319

man watced that video finally, guy must have too much free time if after doing it bunch of times it still takes 30min per shot. Not worth you unless I am getting paid atleast $500 for that shot. And if I was shooting fashion models as well get some model with nice skin. Watched Mathew Jordan smith a month back and he said he does very little pp, get it right in the camera. Just my opinion.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

DinosaurioAllie
525 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 30, 2011 00:05 |  #5320

umphotography wrote in post #13464451 (external link)
One of the seniors We photographed this season that's going to help out with this project. I used Camerons technique for the skin and redid it with Potrait professional with onOne. Very hard to tell any difference

QUOTED IMAGE

Beautiful photo, but I don't like the skin processing. It looks blotchy, as if an amateur tried to do it.

Canon 7D | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 40mm f/2.8 | Mamiya RB67 | Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8 | http://www.flickr.com/​mosbeckphotography (external link)
"There's a common misconception that all photographers want to photograph famous people, to be a paparazzi. To me that's like selling my soul. My photographs give thanks to people who have helped me out. Thats not selling my soul, that's gaining it." -Bob Campagna

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,958 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 30, 2011 08:28 |  #5321

DinosaurioAllie wrote in post #13472348 (external link)
Beautiful photo, but I don't like the skin processing. It looks blotchy, as if an amateur tried to do it.

She has very poor blotchy skin, complicated by trips to a tanning salon, complicated by recovering from substance abuse,, that's why it looks the way it does. i tried it 4 different ways.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 30, 2011 10:33 |  #5322

Originally Posted by DinosaurioAllie View Post

umphotography wrote in post #13473380 (external link)
She has very poor blotchy skin, complicated by trips to a tanning salon, complicated by recovering from substance abuse,, that's why it looks the way it does. i tried it 4 different ways.

Wow, I actually thought the skin looked pretty good, although a bit smoother than my taste would be, eyes are beautifully done. The thing I noticed was the hand, looks like it was burned, maybe slightly too much. Overall, I like the image very much.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 30, 2011 11:23 |  #5323

locky wrote in post #13465762 (external link)
Great job Dave. What was your lighting setup in the first picture?

Agreed, very nice work Dave.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 30, 2011 12:50 |  #5324

I just realized I posted SOOC pictures except for the last one. The outdoors one has some color adjustment and contrast bump but thats it. Here is the edited version of the first pic.

Not a huge difference, but only took 3 min in photoshop. Makes it a bit more edgy. Family ordered this in a 30x40 :)

Dave

HOSTED PHOTO

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 30, 2011 13:22 |  #5325

Muskydave22 wrote in post #13474591 (external link)
I just realized I posted SOOC pictures except for the last one. The outdoors one has some color adjustment and contrast bump but thats it. Here is the edited version of the first pic.

Not a huge difference, but only took 3 min in photoshop. Makes it a bit more edgy. Family ordered this in a 30x40 :)

Dave

I REALLY like this shot, but it appears that in your final processing you may have got the acne(?) on his face (specifically his forehead) way too sharp. I would fix that, as it will be VERY obvious in such a large print.

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

sponsored links

2,963,301 views & 4 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.