Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 28 Nov 2011 (Monday) 04:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Video lighting for wedding photography

D.A.
422 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2011 08:52 |  #31

Great examples Jamison. Blends wonderful with tungsten light. Considering to buy one.

5DMKII, 6D x2
17-40 / 24-105 / 35 f/2 IS / 50 F/1.4 / 85 f/1.8 / 70-200 f/2.8 IS / sigma 15
Speedlite 600 EX-RT, Yongnuo 600 EX-RT / Yongnuo ST-E3

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 29, 2011 09:06 |  #32

umphotography wrote in post #13467834 (external link)
So do you trigger these things like you would with a regular flash off camera ?
Are you shooting on camera and do you have to worry about gate speed as well??

Jamison,, Great shots. Lovely:cool:

Do you mean the video light? It's constant lighting, so no triggering. You turn the unit on, dial in the right amount of lighting, possible use gels to change color temperature (some units have this built-in so no need to use a gel) and shoot away.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2011 10:12 |  #33

nicksan wrote in post #13467966 (external link)
Do you mean the video light? It's constant lighting, so no triggering. You turn the unit on, dial in the right amount of lighting, possible use gels to change color temperature (some units have this built-in so no need to use a gel) and shoot away.

OK got it

so your changing AA's as needed and shooting wide apertures blending the ambient ??

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 29, 2011 10:32 |  #34

umphotography wrote in post #13468216 (external link)
OK got it

so your changing AA's as needed and shooting wide apertures blending the ambient ??

Pretty much...

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2011 11:15 |  #35

nicksan wrote in post #13468322 (external link)
Pretty much...

Honestly

I think you are better off with a grid on a flash or some other modifier that will get you the same results, if not better. Not saying these are bad at all, but, im with Tim. Flash does the same thing if you play around a little.
flash cords, pocketwizards which i have already, HONI grids,Gobos/flags for a speedlight, Rosco Cinefoil all do the same thing and a lot less to mess with. Just my thoughts

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 29, 2011 11:42 |  #36

umphotography wrote in post #13468555 (external link)
flash cords, pocketwizards which i have already, HONI grids,Gobos/flags for a speedlight, Rosco Cinefoil all do the same thing and a lot less to mess with. Just my thoughts

how is all of that less to mess with than a single constant light source that you dial up or down as you want, and wysiwyg?

unless you are saying that since you already have all of that stuff, so why add another tool?

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2011 12:06 |  #37

bigarchi wrote in post #13468727 (external link)
unless you are saying that since you already have all of that stuff, so why add another tool?

Pretty much thats it for me. The Honi Grids work pretty impressivly so I would prefer to go the way I have gone. I think in Manual mode, with a grid, you have better options and better control of your DOF. I would prefer to dial it down for fill and shoot wider with a grid to get similar results. But thats the way im used to doing it. After I read syls book I ran out and baught a bunch of that stuff. Probably have $175.00 invested, easy to carry around, easy to use and its going to last a forever. I dont know, guess im just a big fan of speedlights in these situations because you can use Ettl or manual, maybe a few more options. But i get what some are saying, i just prefer to use the speedlights and cary less stuff around. I have the Mini and flex TT5 wizards so im really lucky and get to play when we can find the time. Frustrating because i have the stuff and want to try all kinds of new stuff but with big parties, your running non stop and dont have a lot of time to play with it. hate to tell them lets start 4 hours before. Really pushing it with some venues at 3 hrs prior so not a lot of time to play.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 29, 2011 12:17 |  #38

bigarchi wrote in post #13468727 (external link)
how is all of that less to mess with than a single constant light source that you dial up or down as you want, and wysiwyg?

Yup, that's exactly what I wrote in a previous post. As I mentioned before, I can see it being very useful for quick and dirty shots.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 29, 2011 12:24 |  #39

Honestly

I think you are better off with a grid on a flash or some other modifier that will get you the same results, if not better. Not saying these are bad at all, but, im with Tim. Flash does the same thing if you play around a little.

When I grid my speedlights, a lot of fiddling is required. I wouldn't be able to use them quickly since there's no modeling light. These video lights are basically modeling lights that you use for the exposure too so it's a lot faster. WYSIWYG.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

jamiewexler
Goldmember
2,012 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 01, 2011 07:26 |  #40

Honestly

Actually, that's a lot MORE to mess with than a single little light. :lol: And I would never hand that setup to a drunk groomsman, unlike the $30 LED video light that I use. And the "play around a little" part. with vid lights there is no playing around. Turn it on, aim it, shoot it.

Massachusetts Wedding Photographer (external link)
My blog (external link)
my facebook (external link)
my gear

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 01, 2011 09:56 |  #41

jamiewexler wrote in post #13478817 (external link)
Actually, that's a lot MORE to mess with than a single little light. :lol: And I would never hand that setup to a drunk groomsman, unlike the $30 LED video light that I use. And the "play around a little" part. with vid lights there is no playing around. Turn it on, aim it, shoot it.

EXACTLY.... Simple..light..easy to use and cheap...

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 01, 2011 10:14 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #42

I know a lot of the big film wedding photographers like Jose Villa and Jonathan Canlas use video lights...but it's not something that I have ever tried personally. Some nice examples in this thread though.

By the way...am I on the only one who doesn't know what WYSIWYG means? Nevermind...I got it.

-Dave

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 01, 2011 10:42 |  #43

What you see is what you get. I know you got it, but I wanted to say it for those that dont know.

No one has been able to convince me why you shouldnt buy a cheap LED light, so I think I will keep mine.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 01, 2011 11:09 |  #44

For those of you who already use one, what kind of lux rating or other measure of power do you find to be necessary for the light to be effective?

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 01, 2011 11:27 |  #45

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13463757 (external link)
The one I got on ebay (I think it is called the cn-160?) was about $50. Worth it to me.

Edit: it is now $40. http://www.amazon.com/​gp/product/B004TJ6JH6 (external link)

Can I use this on a Monopod or Tripod? I want to play with one. Thanks for the link Bryan!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links

18,223 views & 0 likes for this thread
Video lighting for wedding photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.