Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Nov 2011 (Monday) 21:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pros please offer advice...quite unhappy about wedding pics

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 29, 2011 12:15 |  #16

mannetti21 wrote in post #13468836 (external link)
I forgot to add that those pictures on the site I provided are edited AND unedited versions. It seems like the original pics were horrendous and they did their beat to salvage them. With that said, there are pics that I know they took but are not on there, so I can only imagine how bad those were. So now I have NO group pics of me and my aunts/uncle's as I specifically requested.

Im not real sure of exactly how I should go about approaching them. Even though Im pissed, I don't want to totally offend them.

I agree offending them will not help the situation it is always best to wait until the emotions die down a little and you have time to think of some solutions that would be an acceptable outcome for you.

It would be best if you could work out something with them and hopefully for their sake they are agreeable to this. Lawyers are messy and should be avoided if possible but the fact that they know that is a option available to you it is in the back of their minds.

I am in my first year of business full time and I would want the customer to come to me with all concerns and we could go from there. Some things are the photographers fault some things not like a corrupt CF card.

sponsored links
Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,547 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 29, 2011 12:17 |  #17

If they had 8 weddings on 11/11/11, they obviously must have had subcontracted a couple of weddings to other people - some who may not have their expertise.

Were the photographers that shot your wedding the ones you spoke to when you began negotiations? If they were misleading as to who was going to be photographing your wedding, you could have grounds for a broken contract.

Go re-read your contract, top to bottom. It's what will determine what, if any, monetary compensation you're entitled to due to their perceived negligence, especially if you do decide to take them to court.

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

veritasimg
210 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 29, 2011 12:18 as a reply to  @ post 13468836 |  #18

So sorry to read about your predicament. A dialog is a good start. There is no need to go into legal action....yet. See if you can work things out with the photographer(s). If they want to keep their reputation, they will certainly find a common ground somewhere.
Also have a read on your contractual clauses so that you are not caught unprepared.

Real sorry to see a big day's moment captured in poor light. Feel free to PM me pix if you want another perspective.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link) | Our latest Works @ Veritas Images (external link) | Let's Get Social! (external link)

Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,547 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 29, 2011 12:20 |  #19

mannetti21 wrote in post #13468683 (external link)
unfortunately that statement is simply false when/if it becomes a legal matter...which is why I am seeking expert opinion, rather than my own personal opinion alone.

Expert opinion? What qualifies someone to be an expert? :) I'm just playing devil's advocate here. You're unhappy with the photos. You're the customer. Everyone has a different perception on what's acceptable and what's not - I know people who absolutely love photos that I personally, find horrendous from a technical standpoint.

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 29, 2011 12:32 |  #20

PM me the info and I'll weigh in on my opinion.

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 29, 2011 12:54 as a reply to  @ Halliday's post |  #21

What the OP paid and what was delivered he has a right to not be pleased with the outcome. Photography is subjective and different photographers have their own style and whatnot but there is a basic idea of what it takes for a photograph to be acceptable by most peoples standards.

My thinking is also based on my area there are some very talented wedding photographers that are in the $1800.00 range that deliver some amazing work.

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,115 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 29, 2011 13:39 |  #22

Zansho wrote in post #13468931 (external link)
Expert opinion? What qualifies someone to be an expert? :) I'm just playing devil's advocate here. You're unhappy with the photos. You're the customer. Everyone has a different perception on what's acceptable and what's not - I know people who absolutely love photos that I personally, find horrendous from a technical standpoint.

I am a medical practitioner and when any legal issues arise, the court looks to obtain what is considered "common practice" among the profession to determine negligence and/or malpractice. I'd imagine it works quite the same way regardless if the case is medical or not, so long as a professional service was paid for.

As for the multiple weddings, Im not sure that isn't a typo. We spoke with the same people who actually shot our wedding, so sub contracting was not the case.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 29, 2011 14:36 as a reply to  @ mannetti21's post |  #23

I also had a look at the images and I have sent a PM to the OP on my opinion. There is just too much slagging of other photographers on here these days so my opinion will be between me and the OP. It serves no purpose to bad mouth others on here when they are not around to defend whatever their reasons may be.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 29, 2011 15:27 |  #24

ssim wrote in post #13469668 (external link)
I also had a look at the images and I have sent a PM to the OP on my opinion. There is just too much slagging of other photographers on here these days so my opinion will be between me and the OP. It serves no purpose to bad mouth others on here when they are not around to defend whatever their reasons may be.

If you were referring to me my intent is not to bad mouth any photographer but is is simply my opinion that the product that I saw was inconsistent with the pricing. Why should a photographer get away with charging a lot and not delivering just because they are an "artist"? If a contractor showed up and built an addition that was leaning and the walls were not strait and didn't finish painting the walls there would be a huge problem. Promising more than you deliver is a sure way to have problems no matter what profession you are in. How they handle the situation is another chance that they have to make the client happy. I hope they choose to try to make the client happy.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 29, 2011 15:44 |  #25

david lacey wrote in post #13469930 (external link)
If you were referring to me my intent is not to bad mouth any photographer but is is simply my opinion that the product that I saw was inconsistent with the pricing. Why should a photographer get away with charging a lot and not delivering just because they are an "artist"? If a contractor showed up and built an addition that was leaning and the walls were not strait and didn't finish painting the walls there would be a huge problem. Promising more than you deliver is a sure way to have problems no matter what profession you are in. How they handle the situation is another chance that they have to make the client happy. I hope they choose to try to make the client happy.

David, I was not referring to you. I was making a general observation on the forums in general. There is just too much of the "how does this guy make a living with crap like this" kind of posting going on and it serves no purpose. My comments were never directed at you personally.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 29, 2011 15:48 |  #26

OP. Shoot me a PM. I'd be willing to evaluate.

Singularity96
79 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 29, 2011 15:57 |  #27

ssim wrote in post #13469668 (external link)

that bad hey ?

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 29, 2011 16:03 |  #28

ssim wrote in post #13470014 (external link)
David, I was not referring to you. I was making a general observation on the forums in general. There is just too much of the "how does this guy make a living with crap like this" kind of posting going on and it serves no purpose. My comments were never directed at you personally.

Just checking sometimes things are not so clear on internet forums, so I thought I would just ask.

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,115 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 29, 2011 16:05 |  #29

Thank you everyone thus far for your opinions, it is somewhat of a relief to know Im not being over critical. Still looking to gather opinions from well established photogs, preferably those charging in the $3-4k range. I also realize geographical location plays a role in pricing, so to put pricing into perspective, I will say that the wedding was held in the Northeast.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Brandon72
246 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 29, 2011 16:06 |  #30

I'm thinking enough people have seen the images now to confirm what the OP was feeling about their quality. ;)

sponsored links

27,220 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pros please offer advice...quite unhappy about wedding pics
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.