Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Nov 2011 (Monday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d vs. 1dmkIII Autofocus

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 29, 2011 05:51 |  #16

umphotography wrote in post #13464779 (external link)
I switched from 7D to 1DMKIII. MKIII has 7D beat just about every place you can think of. Couple of advantages that Team mentions but the MarkIII is deadly accurate, has more focal points and if you use read the manual and try to learn as much about these custom functions and more importantly, when to use them and change them around for different circumstances, my opinion is that it leave the 7D in the Rear view mirror. Best decision we made was jumping on a 1 series and dropping the 7D. Liked the 7D, love the Mark3.

Here is what I did with my 7D.

I sought out those who have used it successfully in different venues.

The guys who used it for Auto Racing with excellent results.

The guys who used it for Birds In Flight with excellent results.

The guys who used it for Portrait work with excellent results.

I asked them all about the various settings they used and came up with a cheat sheet of sorts. I put those setting for the three main areas in C1, C2, C3 and I love my 7D.

I have been extremely happy with the 7D .... even happier with it than with my 5D2. I still do not know why I bought that 5D2. :confused:

sponsored links
citro
167 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 29, 2011 08:59 |  #17

http://blogs.stonestep​s.ca/showpost.aspx?pid​=54 (external link) is a very interesting read about 7D focus points. It explains the AF errors some users complain about.

Canon 400D :: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 :: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L :: Tokina 12-24mm f/4 :: Speedlites :: Flickr (external link)

chupacabra31
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2011 09:00 |  #18

harcosparky wrote in post #13467340 (external link)

I asked them all about the various settings they used and came up with a cheat sheet of sorts. I put those setting for the three main areas in C1, C2, C3 and I love my 7D.

I have been extremely happy with the 7D .... even happier with it than with my 5D2. I still do not know why I bought that 5D2. :confused:

They nerfed the Autofocus on the 5d2 I guess in order to make it an affordable full frame camera I suppose. I wish it had the autofocus of the 7d but then I suppose that is slightly what the 1dmkIV or III is for.

chupacabra31
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2011 09:01 |  #19

hollis_f wrote in post #13467304 (external link)
At least swallows and dragonflies swoop around in daylight. This was my best result from attempting BiF where the B stands for 'bats'.

QUOTED IMAGE

Great Shot sir!

There are nocturnal birds that only start flying just before dusk. So very similar situation to this.

chupacabra31
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2011 09:03 |  #20

TeamSpeed wrote in post #13465844 (external link)
I don't know, dragonflies are tough too... I almost gave up on them and went back to swallows. :)

QUOTED IMAGE

Good job! Thank-you for posting the full frame and then the full crop! Well done! Hey lets take it a step further, perhaps the pinnacle of in flight photography are hover flies. :lol:

chupacabra31
THREAD ­ STARTER
113 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2011 09:04 |  #21

citro wrote in post #13467930 (external link)
http://blogs.stonestep​s.ca/showpost.aspx?pid​=54 (external link) is a very interesting read about 7D focus points. It explains the AF errors some users complain about.

Will definitely study that! Thank-you so much for the link!

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,358 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2011 09:18 |  #22

Dont read me wrong. I liked the 7D. I understand how its AF system worked and miss some things about it on the Mark111. Biggest thing for me was the 1.6 format and having to use EFs lens that didnt work on our 5D's. we decided to go all full frame and sold the 7D to get the mark111. Once you learn how to use the features on a Mark111 its a better system over all than what the 7D offers. some of the stuff on the 7D, like spot AF, Zone and the tracking system work awesome, other stuff not so well. I found the auto features basically useless on the 7D. Like i said, over all, mark111 is a superior system at jsut about every single step.

Want to set up your 7Ds' right..here ya go

http://www.deepgreenph​otography.com …ing-up-your-new-canon-7d/ (external link)

http://www.garyluhm.ne​t/bio/tips_0310.html (external link)

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …_news_eos7d_art​icle.shtml (external link)

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …ls/eos_7d_tutor​ials.shtml (external link)

There is a lot more information out there if you need it. Like i indicated i am very familiar with the 7D system. Mark111 is better by a lot plus you don't have to use Efs glass. However, i really miss that 10-22 on a 7D. Nothing better on the market than that combo for wide angle work. I liked it better than a 16-35 on a 5D2. Did not like a 7D for portrait work. The 5D2 blows a 7D away for portraiture and wedding use.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
29,029 posts
Gallery: 3247 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 29, 2011 13:10 |  #23

citro wrote in post #13467930 (external link)

That's interesting but not unexpected, I assume that is why the spot focus mode is provided.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 29, 2011 13:13 |  #24

umphotography wrote in post #13464779 (external link)
I switched from 7D to 1DMKIII. MKIII has 7D beat just about every place you can think of. Couple of advantages that Team mentions but the MarkIII is deadly accurate, has more focal points and if you use read the manual and try to learn as much about these custom functions and more importantly, when to use them and change them around for different circumstances, my opinion is that it leave the 7D in the Rear view mirror. Best decision we made was jumping on a 1 series and dropping the 7D. Liked the 7D, love the Mark3.

Just a quick clarification, more focus points, yes. But the same number of cross type focus points.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 29, 2011 13:17 |  #25

So which auto feature(s) on 1D III that work all the time or useful ?.

umphotography wrote in post #13468019 (external link)
I found the auto features basically useless on the 7D.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 29, 2011 13:23 |  #26

Care to explain ?. More focus points don't mean jack. You might know the 7D articles do you really really know how to use it ?. Yes, I'm in the mood to argue with anybody about AF.

umphotography wrote in post #13468019 (external link)
Like i said, over all, mark111 is a superior system at jsut about every single step.

Nikon/Fuji.

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Nov 29, 2011 13:57 |  #27

maverick678 wrote in post #13469293 (external link)
Care to explain ?. More focus points don't mean jack. You might know the 7D articles do you really really know how to use it ?. Yes, I'm in the mood to argue with anybody about AF.

Which AF system is better - the 7D or the D700?

Jason

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 29, 2011 14:10 |  #28

Hi - care to share your C1, C2, C3 (I assume Racing, BiF, and Portrait)?

Thanks

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 29, 2011 14:15 |  #29

^ 7D's AF system is more robust than any Nikon compact dslr atm. The amount of AF customizations are really great to those that spent the time in getting to know them.

I've not used the 1d3 so cannot comment on its AF prowess. I did have a 1d2n and I find for my style of photography, I cannot discern any differences b/t it and the 7D. Both are far more responsive and accurate than the 5d and 30d before it.

If all you care about is the AF which is very important, I think both cameras will do very well. But a camera is often a sum of its parts. For sheer versatility, from Flash commander (aka CLS) to hdslr to detail images.... the 7D > 1d3. It is practically a mini 1d4 in a compact dslr format. I do find that having a good quality lens is important enhance these camera's AF abilities. Using a kit lens or some base model glass will hamper AF accuracy.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 29, 2011 14:16 |  #30

Good question. The D700 and generally Nikon Pro AF has a very simplistic setup that works right out of the box unlike Canon camera(s) that have multiple AF modes, not to mention configurations, etc. The Canons usually fast in locking the focus but not very good at holding the focus (mostly in low light servo), the Nikons is the other way around, slow acquisition but once it locks it holds like glue.

jase1125 wrote in post #13469467 (external link)
Which AF system is better - the 7D or the D700?

Nikon/Fuji.

sponsored links

6,511 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d vs. 1dmkIII Autofocus
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.