Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Nov 2011 (Monday) 08:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newbie needs recommendations for kits

Nellas
438 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 28, 2011 08:57 |  #1

Hello everyone!

I am just now starting to read about and research studio lighting, but was wondering if anyone could give suggestions or starting points on what to look at because there are so many choices out there....it's all very overwhelming.

Here is what I'm wanting:
I do BOTH photography and video, so was tending to think that constant lighting is the better option as opposed to strobes, correct? Of course the downside is that they stay on and thus heat up faster. I would love a kit that has everything in it for a starter. Preferrably 2 backdrops (white & black) with a stand as large as possible, and obviously some softboxes or umbrellas. Which brings me to my next question:

Which are better? Softboxes or umbrellas?
If anyone could post recommendation links to kits like this on Amazon, that would be fantastic! I'd like as good as I can get for as little budget, and right now I don't even know which brands are suggested etc. Thank you very very much for the help!

P.s. I do a lot of dance photography and self-portraits so if the backdrop stand could be as large as possible, that would be an added bonus!

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 28, 2011 12:15 |  #2

For photo AND video, constant light is your best bet. Check out the Linco Flora constant lights. More sturdy and portable for location changes. Its more sturdy than the cheap fluorescent kits by ePhoto and such, but not terribly expensive. Dave (Learning DSLR video) did a review you may find interesting between cheap and expensive: http://www.learningdsl​rvideo.com …tt-vs-ephoto-fluorescent/ (external link) I got a look at the Linco and liked the build and IMO is a good middle ground between the expensive and cheap.
I have a 6bank fluorescent that's great for video and photo http://www.amazon.com …eo-Lighting/dp/B003HNLVI2 (external link) but its heavy and awkward to move around. NOT very portable but the light is great. The Linco has a higher light output rating and is much more portable. I like the portability of LEDs (have a 500LED panel) but I prefer the cost and light throw of fluorescent.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Nellas
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 28, 2011 12:21 |  #3

Thank you SO much for your suggestions! I am currently watching the review. I forgot to mention something that is able to be closed up for storage would be great! I don't have any space to leave something up all the time, so if it can be folded together or easily taken apart to store, that would be lovely!

Nellas
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 29, 2011 08:36 |  #4

Well I guess because I am not a popular member, hardly anyone replies to my threads. But thank you BrickR for taking the time to help me out! I appreciate it!

dedsen
Goldmember
2,580 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 29, 2011 08:40 |  #5

There are just not many video shooters here. I do not know of many continuous light owner/users. You might try posting this in the digital video thread and see what you get there.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 29, 2011 11:56 |  #6

dedsen wrote in post #13467856 (external link)
There are just not many video shooters here. I do not know of many continuous light owner/users. You might try posting this in the digital video thread and see what you get there.

Yeah, its mostly strobe and photo shooters in the lighting section :)
There are Youtube videos that show the Linco's being used for portrait lighting as well. Constant lights have advantages and disadvantages compared to strobes for photo but basically they are "set it and forget it" because you can see exactly what you're gonna get. I use my 6bank as the main light and my Yongnuos for fill and/or backlights.
For video, you only need to worry about banding with fluorescent but they show to be stable up to higher shutter speeds than you'll likely be using.
Shoot thru umbrellas for fluorescent are less effective because fl's broadcast light outwards and its diffused already. Softboxes capture that excess light and focus it more where you aim it. Fl's don't get very hot and are light weight.
Linco also has other constant light setups but the Flora's provide a ton of light power for the price. I'll say this thou, with video, too much light is better than not enough. You can cut back light in many ways including with the camera, but not enough light is a problem that'll effect what you can do and picture quality (ex: higher ISOs needed)

My junk

Nellas
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 29, 2011 15:32 |  #7

Thank you very much!! That is incredibly helpful to know all of those tips and I didn't realize there were so few video shooters on this section.

Thanks again!

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 29, 2011 16:14 |  #8

The lighting section gets a lot more looks than the video section does, but I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. I've found constant lighting very easy to work with, especially for video. You already know if you have enough light, where the shadows fall, if you need back light, etc, right off the bat because you can see it. Sounds like you need portability and good enough build quality that it won't tear up prematurely...hence my suggestion. :)

My junk

sponsored links

1,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbie needs recommendations for kits
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.