Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

bin your dslr

Photon ­ Phil
Goldmember
1,763 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 29, 2011 19:55 |  #16

Some smart dude like Zack Arais (except unknown) will get hold of one and make himself a fortune and a name off of his first 500 shots out of it.

Bodies: SONY A850 / Pentax K100D / D70 (18-55VR, 55-200)
Primes: Minolta 28 ff2.8 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Minolta 50 f2.8 Macro
Zooms: 35-70 f4 / 100-200 f4.5 Lights: AB800 / AB400 & CSRB's
Classics:
Pentax Super Tak 50 f1.4 / Pentax SMC 50 f1.4,f1.7,f2.0

sponsored links
oklaiss
471 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 29, 2011 22:25 |  #17

I looked at the sample photos on their website and the extremely shallow depth of field is nice with a very sharp in-focus image, but the out-of-focus background or foreground is really bothersome when you just want your whole picture to be clear

Fixed f2.8 = failed product

5D Mark II Gripped, 60D Gripped, 450D, 24-105 f/4L, 85 1.8, 70-200 f/4L IS, Nifty Fifty, 28 1.8, B+W/Lee/Cokin/Hitech filters, 430ex II x2
Flickr (external link)

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 29, 2011 22:47 |  #18

Great concept but still needs more work. I personally would not mind buying one to play with but not at that price. If it was half of what they said then I would check one out. I know it's still new in technology but give it time. Price will go down. I'll probably pick one up just to play with.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

Pi_314
365 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 30, 2011 02:54 |  #19

I'm quite impressed. Today it's a toy, but it could be your goto camera in say seven years? It has amazing potential. Think of what a five grand model will do in five to ten years. Top notch glass, high end sensor, the latest chips, well written software? You can bet your bippy that Canon and Nikon will be looking very closely at this.

The quality of the photos suck from this current camera, but lets face it, there is nowhere else to go but up as far as quality goes. I see grumblings about the shortfalls on this thread, but it is quite obvious that all these things can be overcome in the future. Hope they have stock for sale!!!

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,065 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 30, 2011 07:48 |  #20

Pi_314 wrote in post #13472667 (external link)
I'm quite impressed. Today it's a toy, but it could be your goto camera in say seven years? It has amazing potential. Think of what a five grand model will do in five to ten years. Top notch glass, high end sensor, the latest chips, well written software? You can bet your bippy that Canon and Nikon will be looking very closely at this.

The quality of the photos suck from this current camera, but lets face it, there is nowhere else to go but up as far as quality goes. I see grumblings about the shortfalls on this thread, but it is quite obvious that all these things can be overcome in the future. Hope they have stock for sale!!!

I agree, it has potential like the Apple 1MP digital camera I bought in 1986. This looks like Canon’s DIGISUPER HDTV zoom lenses with a sensor on the back. Even the specs for this are in video terms.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, 16, 18, 56, 16-55, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80
<<all zooms for sale—zeiss, canon & fuji>>

d3m0n_edge
59 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 30, 2011 09:18 |  #21

It's a nice concept, and I truly would like to applaud Ren for his efforts. There is one thing that I have learned through photography, and that "there's more to a photo than just blurring out certain persectives". I spent a majority of my time honing my skills in landscape photography, and as such I use wide angle lens, so I'm assuming that the focal length of the lens is fixed (which is...)? Also, composition through the screen rather than an optical view finder (something that I now enjoy rather than glazing at the screen on my point and shoot), but that's purely opinion based. Also, the examples they had shown for "low light" use were't that convincing, they were shot inside an office with the lights on. So in hindsight, it's another point and shoot because there is no manual control, no aperture priority (because their USP is the selective focus after shooting), no shutter control (means no long exposure), no exposure compensation etc.

I didn't pay much attention to the video because the two "directors" didn't play up to their roles effectively, lot's of "erms" and "errs". The image dimensions are 1080p...? So does that mean the captured image resolution will be 1080 by 1080? Hmmm, and a very long hmmm.... not much to play around with if you want to crop the image where one might desire.

Canon EOS 60D || EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM || EF-S 55-250mm IS || EF 50mm 1.8 MK II || Sigma 10-22mm || Speedlite 430EX II
Gear List || Facebook (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,515 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 30, 2011 11:48 |  #22

d3m0n_edge wrote in post #13473611 (external link)
It's a nice concept, and I truly would like to applaud Ren for his efforts. There is one thing that I have learned through photography, and that "there's more to a photo than just blurring out certain persectives". I spent a majority of my time honing my skills in landscape photography, and as such I use wide angle lens, so I'm assuming that the focal length of the lens is fixed (which is...)? Also, composition through the screen rather than an optical view finder (something that I now enjoy rather than glazing at the screen on my point and shoot), but that's purely opinion based. Also, the examples they had shown for "low light" use were't that convincing, they were shot inside an office with the lights on. So in hindsight, it's another point and shoot because there is no manual control, no aperture priority (because their USP is the selective focus after shooting), no shutter control (means no long exposure), no exposure compensation etc.

I didn't pay much attention to the video because the two "directors" didn't play up to their roles effectively, lot's of "erms" and "errs". The image dimensions are 1080p...? So does that mean the captured image resolution will be 1080 by 1080? Hmmm, and a very long hmmm.... not much to play around with if you want to crop the image where one might desire.

Oddly enough, the one thing that ISN'T fixed in this camera is the focal length; it is, actually a zoom...like, 28-135 or something

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Pi_314
365 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 30, 2011 13:19 |  #23

A good camera of this nature will probably need 200 mb files, or more.
It would seem that the aperture would be best at the widest possible, as the post process can determine any aperture you so desire? One could be selective throughout the picture what will be in focus and what will not, once software is available for such choices.
Imagine the possibilities with video after you shoot.

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 30, 2011 17:38 |  #24

The sample pictures on their website don't look very sharp to me. While you can refocus to different places within the image, IQ still seems to be lacking. Hopefully, this will improve as the later generations of this technology comes out.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Nov 30, 2011 19:18 |  #25

oklaiss wrote in post #13471949 (external link)
I looked at the sample photos on their website and the extremely shallow depth of field is nice with a very sharp in-focus image, but the out-of-focus background or foreground is really bothersome when you just want your whole picture to be clear

Fixed f2.8 = failed product

By "clear" I presume you mean in focus.
Also, it's f/2

cnet referred to the lytro faqs (external link) and had this to say

Oh, and to answer a question I saw asked several times in comments, you currently cannot have everything in focus. Lytro's FAQ answers this with, "It's definitely possible with the technology; stay tuned!" And that's really the take-away with the Lytro: it might maybe do what you want someday, but the software is still being worked on.

My picture galleries (external link)

oklaiss
471 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 30, 2011 20:04 |  #26

AJSJones wrote in post #13476615 (external link)
By "clear" I presume you mean in focus.
Also, it's f/2

cnet referred to the lytro faqs (external link) and had this to say

I would presume that in future versions of this product you will be able to choose a wider depth of field so that more of the image is in focus. When that feature rolls out, this product may have some potential

5D Mark II Gripped, 60D Gripped, 450D, 24-105 f/4L, 85 1.8, 70-200 f/4L IS, Nifty Fifty, 28 1.8, B+W/Lee/Cokin/Hitech filters, 430ex II x2
Flickr (external link)

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Nov 30, 2011 21:05 |  #27

It would have wider potential then! The manufacturers think it has potential already :D
You could easily kludge it today - screen grab an image of each plane of focus and stack 'em in PS or similar!

My picture galleries (external link)

Pi_314
365 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 30, 2011 21:13 |  #28

oklaiss wrote in post #13476853 (external link)
I would presume that in future versions of this product you will be able to choose a wider depth of field so that more of the image is in focus. When that feature rolls out, this product may have some potential

The product is more than capable of getting the whole picture in focus. This is a software issue, wherein as of now, you can choose any part of the picture to be in focus. With new software, you could choose to make different areas of the picture to be in focus, or all of it. In other words, the sky is the limit. All the information is already there to micromanage the file. The only thing lacking is the software.

Never mind the fact that this camera is low resolution, which absolutely sucks. Fact is, you will eventually have complete control of the depth of field after the shot is taken. It does not matter that the camera is f2. F2 only means how much light is coming in, f1 would even be better.
With this camera, the aperture does nothing for the depth of field, the software does that. At least that's my understanding.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 30, 2011 22:17 |  #29

The fact that it is a low res camera that shoots in square format should tell you exactly who this is aimed at. I think the ideas behind it are great, and I think it will definitely have a strong market (think of your average picasa/picnik user), I know my wife saw it and said "I'm gonna buy one". Of course when we were in Best Buy last thanksgiving to get a new TV my wife saw the Fuji 3D camera and, well, you guessed it.
I don't see users of this camera printing any images. This thing is a Facebook/flickr/tumblr special right now.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 30, 2011 22:19 |  #30

BTW, did anyone else get a kick out of how they danced around the issue of resolution? "Right now it's 1080x1080, but we can upres that if we need to", "we can upres it as much as we need to". Really? I can upres my images until they canvas a football field at 300dpi but that doesn't say anything about my native resolution.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links

4,351 views & 0 likes for this thread
bin your dslr
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.