Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Nov 2011 (Monday) 10:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d vs. 1dmkIII Autofocus

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2011 14:55 |  #31

maverick678 wrote in post #13469293 (external link)
Care to explain ?. More focus points don't mean jack. You might know the 7D articles do you really really know how to use it ?. Yes, I'm in the mood to argue with anybody about AF.

OK Mav

Yes i know very much how to use the 7D camera. I think Teamspeed myself and a few others were one of the few that figured it out and started answering countless posts 2 yrs ago:lol:

My issue was not so much the AF system on the 7d but rather the 1.6 format. And i beg to differ...45 points do me jack. One of the things i truly liked about the 7D was being able to use the focal points for composition and not have to resort to center point and recompose with the 5D2. We all know the outer points are weak on the 5D2. I really appreciate the extra spots on the mark111. The mark111 KILLS a 7D for low ISO work. I shoot almost everything OCF at a wedding and i want my ISO as low as i can get it and if i go up, its got to be clean. Below 800 ISO, a 1DMKIII buries a 7D so there were other reasons why i went that directions.

But the AF system was good on the 7D if you knew how to use it. My issues with the 7D were more about image quality and 1.6 format more than anything else i suppose, but after spending the past season with a Mark111 i am more at ease on the MarkIII.......it simply never misses. Even Servo and the complaints they had about it works pretty darn good as far as Im concerned and for low light focusing and image quality, markIII beats the 7D all day long. You cant leave the 7D is spot for everything. It missed in AF point expansion, not a lot, but enough to raise a flag, and i missed enough in Zone AF to get me ticked off especially for tight sports shots with 2 or more players in the zone.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 29, 2011 15:17 |  #32

umphotography wrote in post #13469788 (external link)
I think Teamspeed myself and a few others were one of the few that figured it out and started answering countless posts 2 yrs ago:lol:

...and so did I, after a while I lost my apetite to answer questions that be answered by reading the manual.

My issue was not so much the AF system on the 7d but rather the 1.6 format. And i beg to differ...45 points do me jack.

More power to you but I have tested my 7D against a 51 points D700 and as you know I'll be happy to have a 5D III with ala 7D AF. Now don't try to compare the D700 with the 1D III, you will lose.

But the AF system was good on the 7D if you knew how to use it. My issues with the 7D were more about image quality and 1.6 format more than anything else i suppose, but after spending the past season with a Mark111 i am more at ease on the MarkIII.......it simply never misses.

Never is such a strong word, I doubt that the case. Canon actually has never really fixed 1D III completely hence a new AF system in 1D IV, 7D, and now 1D x. So it seems you haven't tested your camera enough.

You cant leave the 7D is spot for everything. It missed in AF point expansion, not a lot, but enough to raise a flag, and i missed enough in Zone AF to get me ticked off especially for tight sports shots with 2 or more players in the zone.

Well try a lot modes in your 1D III (Ring of Fire, etc) and see if it can actually be used everytime in any situation. As I've responded a question about D700 vs 7D, Canon has so many modes/configs that require you (the user) to pick and choose based on situation and condition.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 29, 2011 15:19 |  #33

You guys are very entertaining BTW :D I want to interject, but I am afraid to derail the conversation :D

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 29, 2011 15:31 |  #34

maverick678 wrote in post #13469887 (external link)
...and so did I, after a while I lost my apetite to answer questions that be answered by reading the manual.

More power to you but I have tested my 7D against a 51 points D700 and as you know I'll be happy to have a 5D III with ala 7D AF. Now don't try to compare the D700 with the 1D III, you will lose.

Never is such a strong word, I doubt that the case. Canon actually has never really fixed 1D III completely hence a new AF system in 1D IV, 7D, and now 1D x. So it seems you haven't tested your camera enough.

Well try a lot modes in your 1D III (Ring of Fire, etc) and see if it can actually be used everytime in any situation. As I've responded a question about D700 vs 7D, Canon has so many modes/configs that require you (the user) to pick and choose based on situation and condition.

:p:p:cool:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 29, 2011 15:55 |  #35

themadman wrote in post #13469897 (external link)
You guys are very entertaining BTW :D I want to interject, but I am afraid to derail the conversation :D

I'm done for today.

umphotography wrote in post #13469947 (external link)
:p:p:cool:

You can argue with Julian and TeamSpeed now :p.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 29, 2011 16:09 |  #36

maverick678 wrote in post #13470077 (external link)
You can argue with Julian and TeamSpeed now :p.

You must mean "Julian" as in jdizzle, right? :lol:

Cuz I got nothing to say other than OP must have been shooting flying dinosaurs cuz the BiF I get to shoot don't have eyeballs big enough to even occupy half of my spot focus. :)

And I have no experience w/ current 1D focus so I can only assume that an originally-$4000 camera would be excellent.

*heating up s'mo popcorn*

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

L.Morey
Goldmember
1,571 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 29, 2011 22:51 |  #37

harcosparky wrote in post #13467340 (external link)
Here is what I did with my 7D.

I sought out those who have used it successfully in different venues.

The guys who used it for Auto Racing with excellent results.

The guys who used it for Birds In Flight with excellent results.

The guys who used it for Portrait work with excellent results.

I asked them all about the various settings they used and came up with a cheat sheet of sorts. I put those setting for the three main areas in C1, C2, C3 and I love my 7D.

I have been extremely happy with the 7D .... even happier with
it than with my 5D2. I still do not know why I bought that 5D2. :confused:

Could you possibly post your settings so the rest of us could enjoy them

THX ADVANCE
L.W. MOREY

7d gripped,40d gripped,G9,17-40f4L, 24-70f2.8 L, 70-200f2.8 mkll L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L, 50f1.4 , 85f1.8 , Sigma 24-70f2.8
Sigma 150-500 , Sigma 18-200f4-6.3 , Canon Ste2 , Canon
580mki , Canon 580mkllx2
http://lwmorey.zenfoli​o.com/ (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 29, 2011 22:59 |  #38

harcosparky wrote in post #13467340 (external link)
Here is what I did with my 7D.

I sought out those who have used it successfully in different venues.

The guys who used it for Auto Racing with excellent results.

The guys who used it for Birds In Flight with excellent results.

The guys who used it for Portrait work with excellent results.

I asked them all about the various settings they used and came up with a cheat sheet of sorts. I put those setting for the three main areas in C1, C2, C3 and I love my 7D.

I have been extremely happy with the 7D .... even happier with it than with my 5D2. I still do not know why I bought that 5D2. :confused:

That's pretty much what I did - except I called them 'running things', 'flying things' and 'stills'.

nonick
Goldmember
1,588 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 30, 2011 07:50 |  #39

umphotography wrote in post #13468019 (external link)
Dont read me wrong. I liked the 7D. I understand how its AF system worked and miss some things about it on the Mark111. Biggest thing for me was the 1.6 format and having to use EFs lens that didnt work on our 5D's. we decided to go all full frame and sold the 7D to get the mark111. Once you learn how to use the features on a Mark111 its a better system over all than what the 7D offers. some of the stuff on the 7D, like spot AF, Zone and the tracking system work awesome, other stuff not so well. I found the auto features basically useless on the 7D. Like i said, over all, mark111 is a superior system at jsut about every single step.

Want to set up your 7Ds' right..here ya go

http://www.deepgreenph​otography.com …ing-up-your-new-canon-7d/ (external link)

http://www.garyluhm.ne​t/bio/tips_0310.html (external link)

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …_news_eos7d_art​icle.shtml (external link)

http://www.learn.usa.c​anon.com …ls/eos_7d_tutor​ials.shtml (external link)

There is a lot more information out there if you need it. Like i indicated i am very familiar with the 7D system. Mark111 is better by a lot plus you don't have to use Efs glass. However, i really miss that 10-22 on a 7D. Nothing better on the market than that combo for wide angle work. I liked it better than a 16-35 on a 5D2. Did not like a 7D for portrait work. The 5D2 blows a 7D away for portraiture and wedding use.

good stuff thanks!!

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

sponsored links

6,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d vs. 1dmkIII Autofocus
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.