Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Nov 2011 (Monday) 21:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pros please offer advice...quite unhappy about wedding pics

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 29, 2011 16:33 |  #31

I saw them too, and I have to agree with the others. They are definitely of sub-par quality. Why they would provide OP with unedited photos that are horribly underexposed and with WB that is waaaay off is beyond me.I would at least make an effort to correct the photos first before handing over proofs.

OP, did they actually shoot your wedding or did they subcontract? I checked out their website and I have to agree with you that what is represented in their portfolio section and what I am seeing from your wedding photos are vastly different in quality, including exposure and composition.

There are definitely some decent shots in there, but nothing really stand out. There are photos in there that are definitely salvageable via PP.

$3800? I wouldn't be happy either.

Disappointed to see this happen...but it always does to someone. Just sorry it was your turn.

sponsored links
mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,231 posts
Gallery: 136 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 29, 2011 16:43 |  #32

nicksan wrote in post #13470282 (external link)
I saw them too, and I have to agree with the others. They are definitely of sub-par quality. Why they would provide OP with unedited photos that are horribly underexposed and with WB that is waaaay off is beyond me.I would at least make an effort to correct the photos first before handing over proofs.

OP, did they actually shoot your wedding or did they subcontract? I checked out their website and I have to agree with you that what is represented in their portfolio section and what I am seeing from your wedding photos are vastly different in quality, including exposure and composition.

There are definitely some decent shots in there, but nothing really stand out. There are photos in there that are definitely salvageable via PP.

$3800? I wouldn't be happy either.

Disappointed to see this happen...but it always does to someone. Just sorry it was your turn.

They were actually the ones to shoot the wedding.

I would imagine they aren't going to give me the RAW files( if they even shot in Raw), so things are going to be tough in PPing. Not to mention that the more these things get adjusted for exposure, the less likely they are going to retain the image quality if we decides to make a large print.

Im actually getting more ticked off as the days go on. Guess I need to start constructing an email to them...I don't trust myself to not say something rude in a phone convo.

What is everybody's thoughts regarding amount of refund? Should I let them make an offer first or should I request an amount?

---------------
5D4, 5D3, Sony ZV-1, Panasonic Lumix FX7, Nikon L35AF, Minolta SRT-102
35Art, 50 f1.8 STM, EF 85 f1.8, EF 16-35L f4, EF 100-400L II
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 29, 2011 17:04 |  #33

I wouldnt start with a number to give them. Tell them you are not happy, and see how they respond. Make them make the first offer, and see what they come up with. Chances are, if they are good photographers at all, they will know they goofed up.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,231 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 29, 2011 17:09 |  #34

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13470412 (external link)
I wouldnt start with a number to give them. Tell them you are not happy, and see how they respond. Make them make the first offer, and see what they come up with. Chances are, if they are good photographers at all, they will know they goofed up.

Thanks for the advice.

For those of you who have seen the pics and compared them to the portfolio, what do you think would be a fair refund amount?

---------------
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 29, 2011 17:42 |  #35

mannetti21 wrote in post #13470326 (external link)
They were actually the ones to shoot the wedding.

I would imagine they aren't going to give me the RAW files( if they even shot in Raw), so things are going to be tough in PPing. Not to mention that the more these things get adjusted for exposure, the less likely they are going to retain the image quality if we decides to make a large print.

Im actually getting more ticked off as the days go on. Guess I need to start constructing an email to them...I don't trust myself to not say something rude in a phone convo.

What is everybody's thoughts regarding amount of refund? Should I let them make an offer first or should I request an amount?

It is hard to say exactly what I would do but it would be partly based on what was the final product they delivered to me. Sometimes I like to ask questions, some that come to mind are " How do you feel about the job you did for me ", " How do you think this work compares to your competitors", " What happened to the missing pictures that were taken", " Do you think that what you are delivering is worth the price you are asking me to pay". Read the contract again and think about all of the promises they made and use that in the conversation.

The refund would be comparable to where the end product places amongst the average local competition, that would seem fair.

I do really to try to start off nice and give the company a chance to do the right thing but have a plan just in case they start to play hardball. I have a short list of ridiculous stories of companies not delivering. I wish I never had to go through all of that drama. In the long run things seem to work out and it will work out for you too.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 29, 2011 19:49 |  #36

Have they already created an album for you, as in delivered a finished product? It doesnt seem like they have had time, but that would bring it into the equation.

What do YOU feel is a fair price for a refund if it goes that far?

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 30, 2011 06:52 |  #37

What does the contract say about refunds and disputes?

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 30, 2011 11:46 |  #38

if you can pm me the gallery link and password I'd be happy to offer my take on the photos.

As far as specific photo requests, I usually make it clear to the B&G that I cannot be responsible for missed group shots as I'm not family and not sure who travelled from afar, etc. I usually get the maid of honor get the people in groups for me and it has worked perfect so far.

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,231 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 30, 2011 11:58 |  #39

Svetlana wrote in post #13474300 (external link)
if you can pm me the gallery link and password I'd be happy to offer my take on the photos.

As far as specific photo requests, I usually make it clear to the B&G that I cannot be responsible for missed group shots as I'm not family and not sure who travelled from afar, etc. I usually get the maid of honor get the people in groups for me and it has worked perfect so far.

the group picture was taken, we spent almost 5mins posing while they shot. So I don't know why the pics aren't available.

---------------
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 30, 2011 15:39 |  #40

In to see what happens here. Sorry this happened to you. Did you get a referral to these people from someone? We tried to with our wedding and our photog was great. He has gotten 3 more weddings from guests and friends of ours. Our DJ was another story...

Do you even feel there are enough pictures to make an album/finished product? That should also play into the refund/compensation. I like the idea of getting a refund and getting a session done with your new wife.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R5
Donate for Forum Costs

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 30, 2011 16:16 as a reply to  @ randy98mtu's post |  #41

Sorry to hear this for your most important day. It seems from the number of responders who have viewed the photos, your initial impressions of the quality are substaniated. So as others have said, I would contact the photographer and express your unhappiness. First I would read over any contract you may have signed, so you have a better understanding of where any discussions may lead and how to respond. You might point out why you are unhappy and see what kind of reponse you get and then take it from there. It would certainly seem appropriate at a minimum the pictures should be made better if at all possible, though I suspect that may not be possible and at least a partial refund.

Best, Bruce

Tanya ­ De ­ Leeuw
Goldmember
4,260 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 30, 2011 16:51 as a reply to  @ Gizmo1137's post |  #42

Indeed, commiserations. I think it's been established that your disappointment with the photos isn't unfounded.

I'd approach the situation with great caution. Don't go in with all guns blazing, demanding a refund and threatening legal action. That's the quickest way to alienate the photog - not what you need to do at this stage, much as you want to! If you go for the jugular right out of the gate, there's no way you're going to get a re-shoot (unless you want to pay for it again, with another photog).

I'd go in very gently, in a calm email (I'd also avoid a phone conversation that could quickly degenerate into a slanging match) saying that "we're very disappointed with the photos" that have been presented so far, that they don't seem to have the same quality as the images that are shown on the photog's website as reasonable samples of their work, that their experience at that particular venue should've stood them in good stead with regard to having adequate preparation for lighting, etc ... and just see what they come back with.

There's plenty of time to play hardball later, if the photog doesn't want to work with you to rectify the situation by at least offering a free re-shoot for you and your bride, and perhaps some hard goods/prints to go along with it ... effectively, at least a partial refund.

Unfortunately, the lost moments, the ones with aunts/uncles you rarely get to see, are gone and cannot be re-enacted ... and its unlikely that the photog is going to pay to get you all together again to do that.

Best of luck with it ... do let us know how it all pans out.

Tanya De Leeuw
Facebook (external link) - Smugmug (external link) - Blog (external link)
Constructive comments are most appreciated!
Now: 1D Mark IV, 7D + 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 30, 2011 19:08 as a reply to  @ Tanya De Leeuw's post |  #43

I've see the photographs and IMO they are underexposed, WB is way off, they have unintended camera tilts, poor composition - just plain amateurish.

If they shot RAW then many of them are fixable and you could offer a low figure and pay someone else to salvage them.

If they didn't shoot RAW you should get a full refund.That's what I would do, but my first culled rejects are better than those.

Richard
Gear

LifeUnFraged
89 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 01, 2012 03:01 |  #44

Just curious, any update on this situation?

I'd like to see the pics as well, if you are still showing them.

Tzetsin
197 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 01, 2012 23:12 as a reply to  @ LifeUnFraged's post |  #45

I havn't seen the shots they took, but I have to ask.

You said you were looking at about 600 shots. Where these shots SOOC, or edited? I can assure you that most SOOC shots of any event are going to be pretty average technicaly speaking. RAW images can easily jump a stop or even sometimes 2 stops in exposure with almost no image quality loss. White balance, tilt, minor noise is pretty much a non issue with RAW files.

It sounds to me that the biggest problem here is that the photographer is stupid enough to show you completely unedited images. If he hasn't shown you any completed images, I'd say just hold your reserve until you see the finished product, then if the quality is much lower than advertised on their website, refuse them and seek legal council.

Canon camera, Canon lenses.

sponsored links

28,666 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pros please offer advice...quite unhappy about wedding pics
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.