Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 20:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I have been out of the game a little bit but come on

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 30, 2011 20:04 |  #1

So after using just about every camera Canon and Nikon have to offer I got a little bored. It is an expensive lesson to learn but a camera is a camera is a camera.
Since my favorite subject to shoot is macro and creative shots I figured AF really isn't important and I supply most of my own light so ISO performance really doesnt matter either.
This sent me on a mission to get one of my favorite cameras to date, The canon 40D.
Come on Amazon. I didn't pay that much on its release date years ago
http://www.amazon.com …F8&qid=13227048​17&sr=8-11 (external link)

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

sponsored links
frozenmoments925
517 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 30, 2011 20:12 |  #2

thats a 3rd party store, not Amazon directly ...

Canon 5D Mark IV / Canon EOS R / Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS Mark II / Canon 24-70L f/2.8 Mark II / Canon 35L f/1.4 / Canon 135L f/2 / Canon 100L f/2.8 Macro / Canon 580 EX II / Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 30, 2011 20:17 |  #3

Try eBay.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 30, 2011 20:24 |  #4

I looked a little deeper for you: http://www.amazon.com …/B000V5P90K/ref​=pd_cp_p_1 (external link)

There are refurbished bodies for $599 at Amazon. That's fair. It's essentially a brand new camera. They don't even get used enough to get a scratch. Most likely wouldn't turn on, and went back for a second look and quick fix.

I don't blame you for looking at that model. You'll get (in my opinion) better image quality than anything made after that (unless you step up to full frame). The 40D is 10mp, and if you don't need to crop, you get insanely clean images with no noise (unless you go above 1600 and underexpose).

Good luck.

NOTE: The above amazon link leads to a lot of third-party sellers. I always trust Amazon, but I don't know if Amazon consistently links to reputable dealers. Hard to say.

I'd try a few things: 1. Call the Canon Loyalty Program (accessible by phone only). See if they have it. 2. Call B&H, Beach Camera, and Adorama to see if they have any refurbished models.

And like others suggested, try Ebay for used. I've never bought a used one, but many people do and seem to do alright.

Thank you. bw!

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 30, 2011 21:15 |  #5

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #13476981 (external link)
.... You'll get (in my opinion) better image quality than anything made after that (unless you step up to full frame). The 40D is 10mp, and if you don't need to crop, you get insanely clean images with no noise (unless you go above 1600 and underexpose).

I defy you to demonstrate better IQ from 40D than from subsequent APS-C sensors. You can make a valid argument that it is as good at lower ISO and that it may be as much as most people need but I don't think you can demonstrate superiority: particularly if images from 7D/60D/T3i etc are downsized to match the 10 mp 40D files. I defy people to look at dpreview's comparison tool here (external link) (note you need to use Eos 1000D for comparison but same sensor as 40D) and, allowing for apparent enlargement of 7D, say that the smaller sensor is superior at any ISO.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 30, 2011 22:42 as a reply to  @ lungdoc's post |  #6

I just thought it was funny they would have that on there for that.
As far as the IQ goes. I loved the 40D. True it went a little south after ISO 800 compared to the D700 that I just sold but I never really needed the extreme low light capabilities.
I have seen them for sale on here for 400-500 bucks and A refurb for 600 is not bad at all.

I don't need to look at any review sites to know that it took good pictures. My lightroom catalog just told me that I had shot with the following cameras
xti
40D
50D
5D
5D2
1D2
1D3
7D
D700
G10
Iphone 3g
Iphone 3gs
iphone 4

I haven't used a 60D yet but I am not a fan of articulating screens..... I know myself to well and I would rip that thing off in a month. LOL

Good light and good glass is always the best bet:D

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 01, 2011 06:22 |  #7

Don't mistake me - I am not saying anything negative about 40D IQ at all, just that if one claims it to be SUPERIOR to later generation APS-C sensors one should be able to back that up.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

midnight_rider
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 01, 2011 09:08 as a reply to  @ lungdoc's post |  #8

I think it was better than the 50d as far as noise and overall IQ.
For low light I think that the 7D is much better for all around shooting. In a controlled light environment I think it is pretty much a draw.
Clean is clean and sharp is sharp:)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 01, 2011 09:12 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I love my 40D, and have no issues with IQ at an ISO of 1600.

40D ain't a bad way to go!

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 01, 2011 11:20 as a reply to  @ midnight_rider's post |  #10

midnight_rider wrote:
=midnight_rider;134776​3

I haven't used a 60D yet but I am not a fan of articulating screens..... I know myself to well and I would rip that thing off in a month. LOL

Good light and good glass is always the best bet:D

The good thing is that you don't have to pull the screen out on the 60d. You can just use
It like a normal screen

My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,842 views & 0 likes for this thread
I have been out of the game a little bit but come on
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.