Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 30 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 15:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Zeiss 25/2 vs Canon 24L II.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 30, 2011 23:40 |  #31

It's interesting how, on some review websites (www.the-digital-picture.com (external link)), test shots with all third-party lenses seem to look blurry and exhibit significant CA, particularly when they're shown next to a shot taken through a Canon lens. Except when that third-party lens is a Zeiss, in which case it's suddenly the Canon which looks blurry and with lots of CA.

Maybe they get all the good Zeiss lenses, and all the lemons from Sigma...

sponsored links
sicarius82
35 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 01, 2011 14:23 |  #32

From the initial comparison, I'd prefer the Canon. The Zeiss lens seems to have removed the woman from the shot.

Long Vu
Kids in the backseats cause accidents. Accidents in the backseat cause kids.
Gear List

Lester ­ Wareham
31,049 posts
Gallery: 3034 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 01, 2011 14:34 |  #33

I see these sort of comparisons all the time with zeiss lenses. What one could conclude for a situation like this with a three dimensional target and many uncontrolled variables I don't know. Why they don't use a flat test target where with care there might be something useful to learn I can never fathom.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 01, 2011 15:04 |  #34

plasticmotif wrote in post #13475369 (external link)
http://zeissimages.com​/showreplies.php?qid=8​53 (external link)

Canon @ 2.8
QUOTED IMAGE

Zeiss @2.8
QUOTED IMAGE

Click the link for the entire comparison.

I think the new ZE 25 is going to break the record for sharpness that it already held with another 25. It's CA handling is pretty nice as well.

Thank you for taking your time for posting this. And please do not pay attention to all of the trolls who are taking way too much time out of their (and our) day to poop all over your efforts while offering nothing of value in return.

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 01, 2011 15:16 |  #35

I cannot see any reason you would think that was a valid test. Oh, you have a few CZ's ;-)a

So do I. :-) The comparison is clearly flawed.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 01, 2011 15:25 |  #36

bohdank wrote in post #13480907 (external link)
I cannot see any reason you would think that was a valid test. Oh, you have a few CZ's ;-)a

So do I. :-) The comparison is clearly flawed.

I am not trying to say it is a valid or professional test. I am just thankful this guy took time out of his day to post shots from a brand new lens that is not available to many people. and on top of that he shot some quick pictures with a similar competing lens as well. He gains exactly nothing from giving us these shots, it is only for our benefit.

Is this as exhaustive a test as we can expect form Photozone? No

Would I make a purchasing decision off of this post? No

Do I like the attitude displayed here that says if you are not a professional lens tester taking nothing but perfect shots then go away? NO!!!

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

zappbrannigan
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 01, 2011 15:35 |  #37

JonK wrote in post #13477310 (external link)
That may be. But at least take a real test shot. The internet is full of this rubbish.

It was not supposed to be a test. These were snaps for people asking for them. The real test does not do comps and can be seen here: http://zeissimages.com​/showreplies.php?qid=8​50 (external link)

Regardless, I think both lenses are great and will make any owner happy.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 01, 2011 15:39 |  #38

dadgummit wrote in post #13480954 (external link)
I am not trying to say it is a valid or professional test. I am just thankful this guy took time out of his day to post shots from a brand new lens that is not available to many people. and on top of that he shot some quick pictures with a similar competing lens as well. He gains exactly nothing from giving us these shots, it is only for our benefit.

Is this as exhaustive a test as we can expect form Photozone? No

Would I make a purchasing decision off of this post? No

Do I like the attitude displayed here that says if you are not a professional lens tester taking nothing but perfect shots then go away? NO!!!

It's a very questionable 'test' done by someone who is obviously a Zeiss enthusiast. What's the purpose of calling people who question this 'test' trolls?

Flickr (external link)

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 01, 2011 15:45 |  #39

dadgummit wrote in post #13480954 (external link)

Just a FYI... I don't think the person who did the test is the same person who posted it here...

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,352 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 01, 2011 15:54 |  #40

zappbrannigan wrote in post #13481000 (external link)
It was not supposed to be a test. These were snaps for people asking for them. The real test does not do comps and can be seen here: http://zeissimages.com​/showreplies.php?qid=8​50 (external link)

Regardless, I think both lenses are great and will make any owner happy.

The thread was presented as a comparison to the Canon, hence (Re: New Zeiss 25/2 vs Canon 24L II). The "test" link as you referenced does indeed have a direct comparison as well.

The OP boldly stated from his conclusion in this thread, "I think the new ZE 25 is going to break the record for sharpness..." .

Yet, in his "test" thread he makes the statement "...I don't see much value to these shots. Other than showing CA control."

I DON'T LIKE TO BE HARSH BUT HIS THREAD IS BOGUS AS PRESENTED AND CA IS ONLY MENTIONED AS A SIDE NOTE. BTW, THE BRICK BUILDING PHOTOS BY THE CANON ARE CLEARLY SHARPER IN ONE OR MORE IMAGES. THERE APPEARS TO BE DIFFERENT FOCUS POINTS WITH OTHERS.

HE SHOULD START OVER WITH HIS COMPARISON/ANALYSIS...​....

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 01, 2011 16:10 |  #41

^^You obviously haven't shot Zeiss glass. ;)

Ferrari_Alex
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2011 16:14 |  #42

It all doesn't matter....I know that my next purchase will be Zeiss 21....if something even better is not going to pop up:-)

Alex || www.dylikowski.com (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 01, 2011 16:22 |  #43

^There's a very good comparison of Zeiss vs. Canon made by Denoir. It clears up all the questions of which has the better IQ. Can you guess who won? ;)

Ferrari_Alex
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2011 16:23 |  #44

jdizzle wrote in post #13481192 (external link)
^There's a very good comparison of Zeiss vs. Canon made by Denoir. It clears up all the questions of which has the better IQ. Can you guess who won? ;)

can you share the link?

Alex || www.dylikowski.com (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Dec 01, 2011 16:42 |  #45

I don't think anyone is really questioning whether or not Zeiss is sharper than Canon... that's sort of a moot point, in my opinion.

The issue here is that these images are portraying the Canon as being drastically inferior, which it simply is not, period.

The Canon 24L II can more than hold it's own with the Zeiss and it does a whole lot that the Zeiss cannot do.

sponsored links

6,348 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Zeiss 25/2 vs Canon 24L II.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.