Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Very basic clarifications & questions on Elements...

Jason ­ Paul
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 29, 2011 13:58 |  #1

To this point, the only PP I've done is some minor tweaking and sharpening in DPP before converting to jpg.

A couple of days ago I ordered Elements 10 when Amazon had it for $45.00. With that on the way, I've been reading here and of course am overwhelmed with where to start. So, just a couple of very basic questions.

From what I've gathered, it seems I should do the following:

1. Still start by opening my raw file in DPP.

2. Make global changes there (saturation, contrast, hue changes).

3. Convert to 8-bit tiff file. (seems there's some different opinions here)

4. Import that tiff file into Elements for any layer or filter work (which I know literally NOTHING about).

5. Complete work there and finally convert to jpg.

Do I have this right?

Do I make any color (RGB) changes to the raw file in DPP (in step 2 above)? Or, is that something done with curves in Elements? Is "curves" even available in Elements? See how little I know?! :)

Do I sharpen in DPP before converting to tiff? If so, do I do any additional sharpening in Elements?

Any other very basic information I need to know? Right now I'm just trying to understand the overall process, and will focus on the details once I get Elements installed.

Thanks,
Jason

50D - Canon 60mm Macro - Sigma 30mm - Canon 70-300mm DO IS - Canon 17-85mm IS - Canon 50mm 1.8 II
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 29, 2011 14:08 |  #2

In a nutshell:

Anything that should affect the entire image (white balance, exposure, saturation, contrast, capture sharpening, NR) and can be done in DPP, should be done in DPP.

In Elements you can do local adjustments (brighten eyes, creative sharpening (sharpen eyes for instance), add vignette, whatever.

If you're going to print (at home, using an inkjet), you can also do output sharpening in Elements.

Instead of sharpening three times, some people like to do just input and output sharpening, or sharpen all in one go… (basically, IMO, that's just output shapening)

Instead of DPP, you could also use ACR instead.
But that also depends on preference and (maybe, used to be he case with PSE9, not sure about 10) whether you're using windows or OSX

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 29, 2011 15:19 |  #3

My workflow is similar as it starts in DPP. I use this tool to review and cull shots that won't be processed and kept.

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) is a freebee you can download from Adobe website that works as a front end to your PSE 10 software. In ACR I do corrections to WB, exposure, adjust black levels and some other simple corrections. What's nice about ACR is if you shot something like a basketball game in controlled lighting, you can select all images and correct WB once and it applies to all.

From ACR I usually pull each image into PSE7 for final tweaks and sharpening. Save to .jpg and done!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 29, 2011 20:22 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #4

I do everything in Adobe. I open in ACR, make some usually minor adjustments to exposure and contrast, maybe add some saturation if necessary. Then I open directly to PSE 10 for further editing - high pass or edge sharpening, mask or adjustment layers, any effects or actions that I might want to use, then save it as .psd, and then convert to jpeg. I keep the RAW and the .psd in case I ever want to make different or additional edits sometime in the future.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Jason ­ Paul
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 30, 2011 09:16 as a reply to  @ Preeb's post |  #5

Thanks all. I'll at least know where to start.

Jason

50D - Canon 60mm Macro - Sigma 30mm - Canon 70-300mm DO IS - Canon 17-85mm IS - Canon 50mm 1.8 II
Flickr (external link)

MusicLaw
124 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 30, 2011 10:59 as a reply to  @ Jason Paul's post |  #6

As you will discover, PS Elements can perform the RAW conversion and global adjustments to exposure, white balance, NR, sharpening, straightening, cropping, etc.

You should compare DPP's performance vs. Elements' performance in these areas on the same RAW file and see which you prefer.

Obviously, Elements' editing features go well beyond what DPP is designed to provide.

As you explore the capabilities of each program you will settle upon a comfortable workflow.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,038 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 30, 2011 11:12 |  #7

MusicLaw wrote in post #13474059 (external link)
As you will discover, PS Elements can perform the RAW conversion and global adjustments to exposure, white balance, NR, sharpening, straightening, cropping, etc.

In general, the 'light weight photo editing' tools (Elements, Paint Shop Pro) do not seem to have as robust a set of RAW conversion capabilities as found in full blown RAW convertors (DPP, LR, ACR). An example of this...

As shot (blown exposure!)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Before.jpg

RAW converted with Paint Shop Pro
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/After.jpg

RAW converted with Lightroom
IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/AfterLR2.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Jason ­ Paul
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 30, 2011 15:00 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #8

Thanks for the additional replies.

From the threads I've read, it just seemed that more people in my situation converted in DPP then moved to Elements. I just figured there was a good reason why, so I just took that as the better way to do it (thought not the only way).

Wilt, that's an interesting comparison - thanks. I'll have to try it both ways.

Jason

Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 01, 2011 13:51 |  #9

I haven't used Elements for several years, so I don't know what PSE10 is capable of, but back with PSE4 you couldn't do batch processing with Raw files. You can with DPP, and also DPP uses the settings that you could use (or do use) in-camera for producing jpegs, and that keeps a lot of DPP users loyal to the Raw processor. Plus, some people believe that the DPP Raw processor is superior to the Adobe Raw processor in its ability to render colors and such, although I'm quite happy with the results I get from the Adobe software (I use Lightroom).

In general, if Elements does not have batch Raw processing I'd use DPP for my Raw processor and then open images in the Elements editor for "special" editing tasks. For example, as has been mentioned things like output sharpening, local adjustments and removing, adding objects, changing backgrounds and such falls in the "Elements" category. To make use of these things, you do need to spend some time learning to work with Elements, layers and such.

But, as was mentioned earlier, whether you use DPP or the Elements Raw processor (Adobe Camera Raw, or ACR) you get the most benefit from maximizing your Raw development in those apps. When done, your plan to convert to a tiff rather than a jpeg is sound (and an 8-bit tiff can be fine as long as you maximize your Raw development) but the key is to maximize your Raw processing. The Raw file has the most data for things like shifting luminance tones and colors, including highlight recovery. Once you convert, you lose some of that data, even if you convert to a tiff, so bear that in mind. Yes, in Elements you can do a whole lot to a converted image, even a jpeg, but still, if you are bothering to shoot in Raw you are best to get the most out of it, then use Elements to enhance or manipulate the resulting image when called for.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 01, 2011 14:03 |  #10

tonylong wrote in post #13480474 (external link)
I haven't used Elements for several years, so I don't know what PSE10 is capable of, but back with PSE4 you couldn't do batch processing with Raw files. ....

Since I now use LR for most of my processing, I couldn't remember this either. Just gave it a try and was able to open several RAW files all at once. Having done that, it is possible to select some or all of them an apply the same adjustments to all at once as a batch if desired.

-----

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 01, 2011 15:03 |  #11

I prefer to work just as you described although I do not always convert to TIFF depending on what I plan to do with the file. I own and have tried DPP, ACR, and DXO for raw conversion and I much prefer DPP for its color rendition. I can get close to the same thing in DXO and ACR but it takes much more work to get there even using my own presets.

The curves feature in elements is a scaled down version of what you'll find in the full version of photoshop and doesn't work as well in my opinion. I would recommend you do as much color correction in DPP as possible rather than relying on elements - that will be less destructive to the data.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

sponsored links

1,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
Very basic clarifications & questions on Elements...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.