Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Custom Album - Designer vs. B&G

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,058 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 01, 2011 15:42 |  #1

1. Do you show the design to the B&G before printing?
2. If yes, do you limit the amount (page, spread, photos) of update that you will do to the completed design by the B&G request?
3. Do you show the updated design to the B&G again before printing?
TIA!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 01, 2011 19:03 |  #2

I'd say yes to all 3. :)

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

tim
Light Bringer
50,935 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 01, 2011 19:25 |  #3

I predesign the album, then let the B&G change it any way they like. I find this works well because couples have no idea how to design an album, or what will work, but when shown something they often will ask to change photos or layouts. This process means I make bigger, nicer albums, and means things get done much more quickly too. We go through 1-4 rounds of changes, they sign off a proof, then it gets made.

I don't limit changes, though I have the right to in my contract.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,394 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 01, 2011 21:16 |  #4

nicksan wrote in post #13481864 (external link)
I'd say yes to all 3. :)

^ YEP

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 01, 2011 21:25 |  #5

I favor Tim's approach, having done it both ways. Clients have a choice to go with 'photographers choice' or their own. Invariably, when clients choose, the whole process usually slows way down because it can take months for them to go through and choose.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,058 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 01, 2011 22:54 |  #6

Thanks Guys!
I just completed one with the 2nd round of changes and hope that it is the last. I can't imaging going up to 4 rounds like Tim :) :(. Can't wait to share them here.

Do you let B&G pick and choose which photos to use and which not?
Have you ever face situation that B&G pick photos those were not your pick and eliminate your favorite / artistic pick for the album?

I know they are the Boss b/c they are paying for the service so do you silently follow their request or you educate / break it down for them about your pick and their pick.

One Bride requested me to create and have Selective Color images in her album and I talk her out of it. Good thing the Groom was on my side :).

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,935 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 01, 2011 23:40 |  #7

I got up to 11 rounds of changes ones. I did it with a smile. Most changes were quite small, but it's a little time consuming providing pdf proofs in between. I ended up saying i'm happy to make as many changes as you'd like, but you must be in my office to make those changes.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 02, 2011 06:55 |  #8

As many rounds as it takes. Once the basic design is done, changes at that level tend to be pretty simple; swap a picture here, change a border there. These are things that quite literraly take 60 seconds. It's part of the service they're paying for in the cost of their album.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,058 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 02, 2011 09:19 |  #9

bw! Tim.

tim wrote in post #13482911 (external link)
I got up to 11 rounds of changes ones. I did it with a smile. Most changes were quite small, but it's a little time consuming providing pdf proofs in between. I ended up saying i'm happy to make as many changes as you'd like, but you must be in my office to make those changes.

True, except it dragging the process a little longer.

Peacefield wrote in post #13483729 (external link)
As many rounds as it takes. Once the basic design is done, changes at that level tend to be pretty simple; swap a picture here, change a border there. These are things that quite literraly take 60 seconds. It's part of the service they're paying for in the cost of their album.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 03, 2011 00:50 |  #10

I do what Tim does. I did start limiting corrections, though, when I had a bride change her design over 10 times and she'd make changes to the changes she just made. In the end, the final album actually looked very similar to the original album so we just kept circling around due to her indecisiveness. Only happened to me once, though, so I won't enforce my correction policy until a bride is changing the same things she changed in the last 3 rounds. That's when it just becomes ridiculous and time wasting.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 03, 2011 05:23 |  #11

By the time I get to a third or fourth edit, it's the bride who's turning sensitive to how much she's asking. It's very rare that it gets past that and even when it does, it's usually around one element of one page so the edits are very quick and easy to accomodate.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 03, 2011 19:00 |  #12

I can agree with the above by the fourth change it has been nailed.

To answer the original question yes to all three.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

Valjoy
459 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 04, 2011 06:10 as a reply to  @ MGiddings Photography's post |  #13

I have in my contract that I design all albums, with final proofing by the client for minor changes.

I discuss this with clients at the 1st meeting, along with my reasons for doing it this way.

This works extremely well for me with 99% of clients not making any changes at all and the most changes I have made for a client was swapping 3 pics. This was done via email without any extra meetings with the clients.

jerrybsmith
299 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 10, 2011 08:39 |  #14

I have found that I can tell the story much better if I pick the pictures and pre-design the album. Once done, I show it to the couple electronically and they usually go with it or make small design changes. More often, there are a few pictures they want added or swapped which I do and update the online preview. Used to have them pick pictures first but it can take forever for them to get around to it and the pictures they choose don't always work well together in the album design.

www.jerrybsmith.com (external link)

isophotostudio
494 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 10, 2011 16:56 |  #15

I've only done two albums with clients so far, I set up the book with the photos I thought best told the story, than met in person with the client to show them the proof, on the spot we swapped out photos so they could see their changes in real time. I then take it home do a few little tweaks depending on how well their choices fit the layout and send off a final proof.

I do the same thing with photo collages. (Usually the customer walks away impressed by how well I know their entire gallery)

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

sponsored links

2,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding Custom Album - Designer vs. B&G
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.