Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 02 Dec 2011 (Friday) 08:09
Search threadPrev/next

Finding it really hard to secure models for TFCD shoots, any advice?

sammz
127 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 02, 2011 08:09 |  #1

Hi

I'm London, UK based. I am not a professional photographer, but am working towards it and have lots to learn. I am trying to secure models via Model mayhem for TFCD shoots, but for the last 3 shoots that I have set up (beauty), all 3 models have cancelled at the last minute. One gave no explanation, the other 2 said that their agents had booked them in for a paid job so they decided to take that.

Whilst I understand that I'm not paying and am no Steven Miesel, if what they are saying is true about the paid jobs, then I can see why they would cancel; I also do not understand how I am to build my beauty and fashion portfolio.

Any words of advice?

Sam

Facebook Fan Page (external link)
My website (external link)

groovehouse
287 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 02, 2011 08:58 |  #2

Find friends to shoot?

Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link)

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 02, 2011 09:18 |  #3

Call their agents and find out how much they cost?

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 02, 2011 13:54 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #4

You're sort of in that catch 22 area right now. You want to shoot TF, but you don't have a portfolio to entice the models yet. So it's not going to be easy. My advice is to network, network, network. Go to events, meet people, hand out cards, etc. As other's mentioned, offer to shoot your friends... friends of friends, etc. You're just gonna have to be patient and take whatever you can get right now. Or start paying ;)

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 02, 2011 18:41 |  #5

find some group shoots where you share a model and studio with others. I don't know if meetup.com has something in London, but I'm sure there is something like it around. All my shoots have been with shared models so far.
Benefit is also that you're more likely to get an experienced model that knows what to do in front of the camera :-)

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

JAE ­ Photography
108 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 02, 2011 18:54 |  #6

-Go to group shoots. You can usually find decent models at well run events that can help build a portfolio.

-Pay. Sometimes even a little bit such as offering to pay for gas helps.

-Have a concept a model really wants to do and isn't going to turn down. At the end of Summer I posted a casting to do a few beach shoots before it got cold. I woke up to over a dozen decent models leaving me a message. A lot of models just wanted to shoot at the beach before having to wait until next year.

MM can be hit or miss and it takes awhile to get the ball rolling. Just keep at it.

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1926140 (external link)
http://www.jae-photography.net/ (external link) (nsfw)

PosNeg
351 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 03, 2011 11:17 |  #7

There's a lot of great advice here. When I started I would hand a business card to good looking gals and explain that I was building a portfolio and I would be honored to photograph them, and in return give them free images. It worked 99.9% of the time. I can only remember ONE not calling me.

You're not asking for their number so it is all on the up and up.

Try a few.

David M. Blecman
Positive Negatives
Annapolis, MD
http://www.posneg.com (external link)
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY UPCOMING WORKSHOPS

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,707 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 03, 2011 21:46 |  #8

Does meetup.com work over there? Anything like it or a photo club? Groups add more structure for those starting out.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

sammz
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 04, 2011 10:19 |  #9

Hi all,

Some great advice from all of you, thanks very much :-)

Thankfully, I managed to get a really good model to fill in for my cancellation yesterday and the shoot went really well so I may well be working with her and the MUA again, assuming that they like the images. Can't wait to get them into my portfolio.

PosNeg - I will definitely try handing cards out to random girls that I see, I have never done this before but know that many photographers do.

JAE - Paying for expenses is definitely worth considering and yes finding a concept that a model wants makes sense too, thanks.

Phantelope and Chunky DA - Never tried this site but yes it does cover London so I'll take a proper look, thank you :-)

leeport
817 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 04, 2011 10:44 |  #10

Sam,
First off, if you are interested in shooting women, you have to understand them. Girls love attention. And especially when they are with other girls. Also, once an idea is in a woman's head, it stays there for weeks. What I am saying is, when you see a girl you might want to shoot, approach her and explain what you want to do.

Now having said all that, girls also have a thing they call "the creep factor". If they sense that with you, you're out of luck. It's all in your approach. You have to have confidence in what you are doing. What I do is approach with a smile. I say, Have you ever done any modeling? Whatever her answer is, then I say, I am a freelance photographer, and I noticed you because I think you have a unique look. I would love to shoot you sometime. Tell her, It's a win-win for you because you get free professionally processed pictures just for volunteering your time. You can build your portfolio, or send them to family or friends or facebook. I am NOT interested in nudes or semi-nudes, just some shots that will accentuate your look. Tell her to bring along a friend, or a family member. This gives them a little piece of mind that you arent some weirdo. Give them a business card(have some made that are professionally done, dont create one on your ink jet printer, people will notice that right off and it makes them think that you are cheap and unprofessional.)

Even if she doesnt commit right then, she will think about it for a while and chances are will contact you. Usually when you are talking to her, especially if she is with her boyfriend or husband, talk to both ot them. Let them know that this is purely professional and you are always looking for pretty and unique girls to broaden your own port. I think what also helps me is, my wife is usually always with me. She tags along on the approach, and it just backs up that I am not a creep looking for some racy photos. Plus my wife is my assistant and her name is also on the business card. Again, reenforcing that I am not a weirdo.

LIke I said, most attractive girls absolutely love to be the center of attention. And after they show the pics to their friends...your phone will get very busy. That's how I do it and have had great success. Just dont be shy.

birderman
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 05, 2011 11:15 |  #11

Hi
I am in similar situation (and also London based) and one thing I have managed to secure (tomorrow) is at a local university via my Niece the use of a fully equipped Studio for half day and my Niece has arranged for several of her Uni friends (my Niece is in her second year at the Uni doing advertising and media course which gives her access to artistic and creative types) to come along and do some modelling for me. Its a start and hopefully in the right direction, I will let you know how it goes....In the past I have had similar problems convincing girls that my intentions are honerable and genuine with some of the bade media coverage it can be difficult to convince them otherwise. Being relatively short and overweight I am sure also has the disadvantage that it increase the creep factor for me....

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

PosNeg
351 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 05, 2011 12:57 |  #12

birderman wrote in post #13498027 (external link)
Hi
I am in similar situation....

Invite your prospects to bring a friend, and perhaps also give them a restaurant gift certificate.

David M. Blecman
Positive Negatives
Annapolis, MD
http://www.posneg.com (external link)
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY UPCOMING WORKSHOPS

systaltic
38 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 06, 2011 19:10 |  #13

PosNeg wrote in post #13489005 (external link)
There's a lot of great advice here. When I started I would hand a business card to good looking gals and explain that I was building a portfolio and I would be honored to photograph them, and in return give them free images. It worked 99.9% of the time. I can only remember ONE not calling me.
You're not asking for their number so it is all on the up and up.
Try a few.

Everyone is pointing you in the right direction, but ^PosNeg and leeport's advice on "the creep factor" are spot on. You either need to invest on your approach and presentation, or on the models and their expenses.

I find that when you dress smart and introduce yourself confidently, people are willing to work with you -- or at least listen and maybe pass your card on to someone they know.

***If you think finding female models is difficult, try to get the average American male in front of a camera for a structured shoot. Lord. :shock:

systaltic
38 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 06, 2011 19:19 |  #14

Try reading "Simplifying Bartering Between Model & Photographer":
http://posneg.com …tween-model-photographer/ (external link)

Some guy :D (David M. Blecman, aka PosNeg) wrote it.
Gah, you have some outstanding photos on that site!

sammz
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 07, 2011 08:06 |  #15

Leeport - Thanks, I don't think I have the creep factor, partly being that I'm female and also that I know how to get into a girls head I guess. I just haven't tried walking up to someone random before, chatting to them and handing them my business card, it's a bit nerve racking, but I'll get over that especially if I get a shoot out of it. Thankfully my business cards are not home spun.

systaltic- thanks for the advice and the link

5,142 views & 0 likes for this thread
Finding it really hard to secure models for TFCD shoots, any advice?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.