Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 30 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 15:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much do you pay your 2nd Shooter?

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,058 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 30, 2011 15:45 |  #1

I shoot as 2nd for Others and also bring in 2nd Shooter when I shoot as main and it goes from $200 - $400 depending on duty and hours.

How do you pay, by hour or by wedding?
TIA!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 30, 2011 15:59 |  #2

That sounds like the typical range.

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

jcolman
Goldmember
2,612 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 30, 2011 16:20 |  #3

$400 to second shoot (but I rarely use second shooters) $100 for an assistant who does not shoot.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 01, 2011 06:44 |  #4

My assistants (who happen to be my sons) get $10/hour including travel time so they're $100-$120 for the day.

I don't used second shooters often, but it typically $250-$300 for 5-6 hours. They only stay until after the first dance and the toasts; I'll shoot the bulk of the reception alone.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,424 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 01, 2011 18:04 |  #5

$400 is my usual rate for my prefered #2 guys
I have a 3rd option that I pay $250 but he's short on his own gear and relies far too much on my gear...

5D4 / Want a 1D X
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 01, 2011 18:56 |  #6

Nothing. My second is my fiance. He doesn't ask to be paid, just fed.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,293 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 01, 2011 19:29 |  #7

PeaceFire wrote in post #13481837 (external link)

Ha ha

Same here. My second is my wife. We probably should not talk about the fringe benefits:eek::lol:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 01, 2011 20:08 |  #8

umphotography wrote in post #13481939 (external link)
Ha ha

Same here. My second is my wife. We probably should not talk about the fringe benefits:eek::lol:

hehe, totally hear ya.

i pay her with ice cream after each wedding :)

but i'm new in the business, and hope that i can actually pay her in the future, well pay us eventually.
so far all the money goes towards new gear :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 01, 2011 21:28 |  #9

The shooters I've second shot for that are the highest-end on price tend to be the cheapest on paying for second shooters. It's the more middle of the road photographers that seem to be more generous, but at the same time, there's so much pressure on price these days, it almost seems generous to offer $40hr.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 02, 2011 01:15 as a reply to  @ Philco's post |  #10

Have you guys have any bad experiences regarding second shooters and videographers that you hired? It happened to me twice, both will probably never again work for me. I could have tons of work for second shooters and videographers but I simply decide not to mention that idea to couples, am I to paranoid? My motto is if you can do it alone do it! Other than that I paid my shooters $500 now I see I overpaid them according the above mentioned amounts :)

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 02, 2011 08:17 |  #11

If you can shoot it solo, then by all means, shoot them solo.

When I second shoot, my minimum rate is $400. I've gotten paid $500-$600 on gigs here and there.

I feel that having other shooters can be both a blessing and a curse because while you may have better coverage, it's just an additional thing to worry about.

If you are lucky enough to have shooters you trust, then that's the most ideal. Like you would second for them on their gig and they would second shoot for you on your gig.

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,058 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 02, 2011 09:37 |  #12

jcolman wrote in post #13475706 (external link)
$400 to second shoot (but I rarely use second shooters) $100 for an assistant who does not shoot.

I would love to shoot 2nd for $400.

Peacefield wrote in post #13478695 (external link)
My assistants (who happen to be my sons) get $10/hour including travel time so they're $100-$120 for the day.

I don't used second shooters often, but it typically $250-$300 for 5-6 hours. They only stay until after the first dance and the toasts; I'll shoot the bulk of the reception alone.

This is what I normally get.

SMP_Homer wrote in post #13481575 (external link)
$400 is my usual rate for my prefered #2 guys
I have a 3rd option that I pay $250 but he's short on his own gear and relies far too much on my gear...

$400 and using your gears. That is good paying!

PeaceFire wrote in post #13481837 (external link)

umphotography wrote in post #13481939 (external link)
Ha ha

Hahaha.... I can't say anything about this. Who know if my Beautiful Wife read POTN :).

bigarchi wrote in post #13482136 (external link)
hehe, totally hear ya.
i pay her with ice cream after each wedding :)
but i'm new in the business, and hope that i can actually pay her in the future, well pay us eventually.
so far all the money goes towards new gear :)

I am new as well and 2/3 of what I earned goes towards new gears as well.

nicksan wrote in post #13484005 (external link)
If you can shoot it solo, then by all means, shoot them solo.
When I second shoot, my minimum rate is $400. I've gotten paid $500-$600 on gigs here and there.
I feel that having other shooters can be both a blessing and a curse because while you may have better coverage, it's just an additional thing to worry about.
If you are lucky enough to have shooters you trust, then that's the most ideal. Like you would second for them on their gig and they would second shoot for you on your gig.

As good as you are, I can't believe that you are not busy enough and still have time to shoot 2nd for others. The same goes with someone in San Diego that I know. Hope that when I get as good as you are, I will be so busy that I don't have time to shoot as 2nd (though I love shooting as 2nd).

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 02, 2011 16:44 |  #13

If I look at all the checks I've written to second shooters myself, most of them wold be $350. If I'm teaching someone the ropes, then it's usually $200-$250 depending on what they bring to the party. I know a lot of people say that's pretty standard, but it's been really rare for other shooters to offer me tat much, but maybe it's because I'm in a saturated market.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 02, 2011 16:46 |  #14

Heres something that affects 2nd shooting alot, do you have your 2nds edit/cull their shots at the end? or do you just get the card.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,058 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 02, 2011 16:58 |  #15

Philco wrote in post #13486272 (external link)
If I look at all the checks I've written to second shooters myself, most of them wold be $350. If I'm teaching someone the ropes, then it's usually $200-$250 depending on what they bring to the party. I know a lot of people say that's pretty standard, but it's been really rare for other shooters to offer me tat much, but maybe it's because I'm in a saturated market.

Could you please teaching me the ropes sometime Phil? I would love to work by you.

Csae wrote in post #13486278 (external link)
Heres something that affects 2nd shooting alot, do you have your 2nds edit/cull their shots at the end? or do you just get the card.

I edit/cull myself. When I shoot as 2nd, I hand the cards the Main Shooter as soon as the session is done.

sponsored links

13,275 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.