Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Jan 2011 (Wednesday) 19:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grip 101: Show your booms and grip hardware in action!

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 03, 2011 16:12 |  #601

Dave Jr wrote in post #13469342 (external link)
I assume that they need to be a certain length too, and that the hardware that comes with the wall mount boom arm is not compatible...

Dave Jr wrote in post #13470408 (external link)
Thanks Martin, I was just going to post that you said 10-32 earlier in the thread, I knew I had seen it somewhere. Looks like they can't be too long, like 1" maybe?

I'm not sure if it was in this thread or the home studio thread that we talked about this, but I'll throw this out again. I'm not sure what hardware you'll get with your boom arm. I bought a used one and it had no mounting hardware - but even if it comes with something, it'll probably be for wall mounting. No worries, you only use the holes in the mounting plate.

The screws I used are the sort that you can buy for attaching things to a bicycle frame. With the allen wrench heads. I have found them (here in Germany) in two lengths, and the longer one is too long - they bottom-out in the Super Clamp holes before the plate is tight. Martin and I discussed earlier, the holes are tapped for metric (M5, if I remember correctly) but 10-32 is essentially the same.

You might need a washer to keep the head from pulling through the holes.

When you find the right screws, by some extras to keep in your studio. The same screws can be used to put two Super Clamps together into a Double.

Kevin

sponsored links
Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 06, 2011 16:59 |  #602

I have confirmed that the correct screw is a 5mm hex key cap screw, 16mm long. These Fit perfectly with the Manfrotto superclamp, a washer is needed if using Impact superclamps.

I took my clamps to Ace hardware and the 5mm x 16mm was the best fit. Got back and opened up the boom package, and it shows this two-clamp autopole mount option right in the directions, and lists the screws as 5mm x 16mm, lol.

I'm off to punch holes in my ceiling, lol.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 07, 2011 11:10 |  #603

Has anyone used one of THESE (external link) on the end of a boom? Seems an excellent option for the end of the boom to increase the articulation options of your boom mounted strobe (which is kind of a PITA without an add on device). I am going to try one, unless someone has a better idea.

IMAGE: http://www.davidbrooksphotography.com/photos/i-Mm5pQfH/0/X3/i-Mm5pQfH-X3.jpg

Dave Jr - MN

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 07, 2011 11:14 |  #604

Dave Jr wrote in post #13504979 (external link)
I have confirmed that the correct screw is a 5mm hex key cap screw, 16mm long. These Fit perfectly with the Manfrotto superclamp, a washer is needed if using Impact superclamps.

I took my clamps to Ace hardware and the 5mm x 16mm was the best fit. Got back and opened up the boom package, and it shows this two-clamp autopole mount option right in the directions, and lists the screws as 5mm x 16mm, lol.

I'm off to punch holes in my ceiling, lol.

Autopoles installed successfully, no ceiling holes! These mount very securely, as others have mentioned, I should not have been worried about the ceiling. The long wall mounted booms attached to the Autopoles are very secure as well, no issues at all. The whole system is outstanding and I could not be more pleased, only wish I would have done it sooner.

I'll post some pics once I have everything cleaned up and squared away.

Dave Jr - MN

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 07, 2011 11:17 |  #605

Dave Jr wrote in post #13508587 (external link)
Has anyone used one of THESE (external link) on the end of a boom? Seems an excellent option for the end of the boom to increase the articulation options of your boom mounted strobe (which is kind of a PITA without an add on device). I am going to try one, unless someone has a better idea.

QUOTED IMAGE

I haven't used those before, but i do use the Avenger F830 on the ends of my booms.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …RH_F830RH_Baby_​to_Jr.html (external link)

I take the bottom twist lock off and it fits directly into my A4050CS booms. Has a 90' opening on one side and i adjust to taste.

edit: This setup hold my RX600 w/Mola Euro and the RX600 w/EL Octa.

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 07, 2011 11:43 |  #606

Regarding attaching the Wall Mount Boom Arms to Autopoles, I recommend using the Impact superclamps (external link) instead, as they can be mounted much closer to the wall due to their low profile clamp handle. These sell for $20 with a stud and are similar to the Manfrotto 635 Quick action superclamp, which sells for $36 without a stud.

I think the quality compares very favorably to the Manfrotto clamps, although some will probably say they are junk.

Dave Jr - MN

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 07, 2011 11:53 |  #607

Where are the pictures?

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 07, 2011 12:22 |  #608

symbolphoto wrote in post #13508610 (external link)
I haven't used those before, but i do use the Avenger F830 on the ends of my booms.

I take the bottom twist lock off and it fits directly into my A4050CS booms. Has a 90' opening on one side and i adjust to taste.

edit: This setup hold my RX600 w/Mola Euro and the RX600 w/EL Octa.

Excellent, thank you. I forgot about that one, it is pricey, but very nice.

Dave Jr - MN

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 07, 2011 12:22 |  #609

DwightMcCann wrote in post #13508785 (external link)
Where are the pictures?

Haha, told you on your thread I didn't get to it last night :p

Dave Jr - MN

DwightMcCann
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 07, 2011 13:04 |  #610

Dave Jr wrote in post #13508903 (external link)
Haha, told you on your thread I didn't get to it last night :p

Just jerking your chain! LOL.

Dwight McCann

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 07, 2011 13:40 |  #611

Dave Jr wrote in post #13508587 (external link)

I use one of those, alongside a E700 drop-down pin.

What would you like to know about it ? I love using it with a 39"DO or med SB since i can set just the right amount of friction to be able to move the modifier around and point it where i want it and have it stay there easily.

It does have a problem locking on heavier loads though, and unlike the E700 that you leave loose, if you leave this with no friction whatsoever, it will have a tendency to wobble down and aim the modifier poorly.

When it can handle the load, its quite effective and far more articulated, I got it so that i could aim lights on my boom without having to loosen the strobe mount and have all the counterweight pull one side.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 07, 2011 13:45 |  #612

symbolphoto wrote in post #13508610 (external link)

I see, so if you take the twist lock off, it acts as a junior stud, but if using the twist lock, does it take a 5/8" stud? I am a little confused because the description says it is a junior female receptor.

Dave Jr - MN

Dave ­ Jr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 07, 2011 13:57 |  #613

Csae wrote in post #13509215 (external link)
I use one of those, alongside a E700 drop-down pin.

What would you like to know about it ? I love using it with a 39"DO or med SB since i can set just the right amount of friction to be able to move the modifier around and point it where i want it and have it stay there easily.

It does have a problem locking on heavier loads though, and unlike the E700 that you leave loose, if you leave this with no friction whatsoever, it will have a tendency to wobble down and aim the modifier poorly.

When it can handle the load, its quite effective and far more articulated, I got it so that i could aim lights on my boom without having to loosen the strobe mount and have all the counterweight pull one side.

That is exactly what I wanted to know about it, thank you. The problem with the F830 swivel pin that I have is that you can't rotate the strobe side to side, without loosening the strobe mount, as you say. Exactly why I was looking at this one. You also answered my question about whether it would hold a load without slipping and good to know on friction adjustments, that is what I want, to set that and be able to make minor adjustments without loosening anything.

So, when you say heavier loads, like what? I would mostly use this with a smaller 10x36 gridded strip, or gridded 8.5 reflector, maybe a gridded Kacey dish. Biggest load would be a 15x55 gridded strip, do you think it might start slipping with that?

Dave Jr - MN

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,623 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 07, 2011 14:00 |  #614

Dave Jr wrote in post #13509232 (external link)
I see, so if you take the twist lock off, it acts as a junior stud, but if using the twist lock, does it take a 5/8" stud? I am a little confused because the description says it is a junior female receptor.

That's correct, let's simplify it here. The female side twist lock i removed. I then place that into the end of the boom stand. Which is essentially a female accepting a smaller female adapter. Whereby the smaller female, in effect, becomes a male.

This is getting awkward.

But yes, that's essentially how i'm using it. When you loosen the ratcheting handle on the F830, the ball head also has 360' rotational movement independent to the ball head itself, so it moves very smoothly.

Lastly, the 90' cutout allows you to use it more like a drop pin. I'll take a photo tonight and post it for you see it for yourself.

DwightMcCann
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 07, 2011 14:04 |  #615

Photos! Excellent plan!

Dwight McCann

sponsored links

270,614 views & 1 like for this thread
Grip 101: Show your booms and grip hardware in action!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.