Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 09:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T2i to 50D

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 29, 2011 08:53 as a reply to  @ post 13324204 |  #31

Another 50D fan checking in. My progression was 400D>40D>50D. The 50D took a while to come to terms with. After that, it is purely a great camera. It has nice AF performance, speed, microfocus adjust (important), build, CF memory, great LCD, and standard control layout (great ergos). Its image quality is great, ISO performance fine (with Canon's DPP to remove noise). When paired with great glass, the file detail is fantastic.

I shoot a 5D2 at work. It feels like a slug compared to the 50D. To be honest, the 5D2 is a great camera but I actually prefer the 50D for most shooting. :shock:

The 50D upgrade is the 7D, not the 60D. The thing is, I am so satisfied with the 50D that my next upgrade will have to wait for the 7D MkII. BTW, my 40D sits in the bag unused most of the time. It has crossed my mind to have it converted to IR.

Once I really came to terms with it, I am continually amazed with what the 50D can do. Here are a couple of high ISO images (DPP for automatic NR) as examples...

ISO6400 Test Shot

IMAGE: http://ericmcferrin.smugmug.com/photos/1138150360_qWWCj-L.jpg

Real World image, ISO3200, 1/4 sec @ f/2.8, lens 17-55IS, Inside a coal mine!
IMAGE: http://ericmcferrin.smugmug.com/photos/i-WdSKjFw/0/L/i-WdSKjFw-L.jpg

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

sponsored links
jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 29, 2011 09:17 as a reply to  @ District_History_Fan's post |  #32

I shoot with a T1i so its very similar in feel and function to your t2i.

however, I have borrowed my friends 50d and my other friends 60d multiple times.
Here is what I learned very quickly. Almost instantly.

the t1i/t2i/any nice Canon DSLR with a good lens will take SOME amazing pictures.
they will be sharp, vibrant, etc.

the 50d/60d/7d will take MANY MORE in focus pictures per shoot especially if you shoot wildlife and some action/sports as I do.

I found my in focus shots to be about 50% higher with the XXD bodies over my rebel.
That is SIGNIFICANT.

so IQ is not going to be noticeably different but your # of good shots will be higher.
That is worth the upgrade to a 50d even though you go down in MP from your t2i.
or get the 60d as I have used it and it feels great, even side by side with a 50d.

My Flickr (external link)

photomom2one
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 29, 2011 09:27 |  #33

jhayesvw wrote in post #13324412 (external link)
I shoot with a T1i so its very similar in feel and function to your t2i.

however, I have borrowed my friends 50d and my other friends 60d multiple times.
Here is what I learned very quickly. Almost instantly.

the t1i/t2i/any nice Canon DSLR with a good lens will take SOME amazing pictures.
they will be sharp, vibrant, etc.

the 50d/60d/7d will take MANY MORE in focus pictures per shoot especially if you shoot wildlife and some action/sports as I do.

I found my in focus shots to be about 50% higher with the XXD bodies over my rebel.
That is SIGNIFICANT.

so IQ is not going to be noticeably different but your # of good shots will be higher.
That is worth the upgrade to a 50d even though you go down in MP from your t2i.
or get the 60d as I have used it and it feels great, even side by side with a 50d.

so true. I very rarely have an out of focus shot with my 50D. With my xti I'd say at least half were OOF. I absolutely love my 50D, the images are so much better, sharper, with more detail.

50D, XTI, gripped
28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, Sears 135mm 2.8
430 EX, other accessories

savageajc
66 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 30, 2011 21:36 |  #34

thread definitely helping. thanks. I sold my T1i, something about it just made me not like it. I think it seems like a lot of my photos are out of focus, and I really hate the loud shutter sound. Im deciding between the t3i or 50d. I don't know anyone who has a 50D or any other xxD body to try, and my local best buy only has the 60D but its all secured and bulky feeling. ( thanks to the 3 cables sticking out and pulling it down I'm sure) BUT I think ill go for the 50D. great responses guys thanks!

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 01, 2011 08:56 |  #35

ekinnyc wrote in post #13278913 (external link)
no matter how much i try to tell myself otherwise, the T2i just feels like a toy, even gripped.

you hear that a lot in these forums, makes you wonder why people want larger heavier stuff in the digital era, like cameras, cell phones, MP3 players, etc.. Sometimes you feel sorry for those old 35mm shooters with their lightweight "toy" gear

IMAGE: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4089/4957219067_d860cd9b0a_z.jpg

crimsonblack
Goldmember
2,052 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 02, 2011 14:04 |  #36

The 50D has an excellent focusing system, the build of course is similar to the 7D and better than the 60D. I believe with the ISO though you lose a bit with the 50D over the Rebel with better image results at higher ISOs. But, the 50D really gives you the more professional feel. I enjoy the top screen on my 7D immensely, The 50D was my first choice before I got the 7D as a gift.

| 7D Gripped | 28-135 f/3.5-4.6 | 50 f/1.8 || --- Sony F717 digital (infrared) --- Bunch of Film Stuff:- | Nikon & Nikkormat | 50/28/70-150/400 | B & J 4x5 large format | Mamiya C220 |
BurntEffects.com (external link)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 03, 2011 13:44 |  #37

When I had XTi, I bought a 40D hoping to get fewer OOF shots, among other things, but it seemed to be a wash so I returned it.

Unless you shoot a lot of fast moving subjects, I honestly fail to see how you'd get less OOF shots with 50D. Especially using a single point mode. Is it really that much difference ? I am curious.

With T2i I routinely get very useful shots at ISO 4000 or above, so if I wanted to upgrade to an XXD I'd look at 60D at least. Giving up that high ISO capability is tough.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

Jason ­ Paul
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 03, 2011 22:13 as a reply to  @ Amamba's post |  #38

When my wife and I were considering a DSLR, my cousin (who had been into photography a couple of years at the time) recommended a T2i. He recommended it based mainly on price and image quality. My wife wanted a 7D and he basically talked us out of that (and I still agree with him considering what we wanted overall).

However, handling a T2i in the store, I agree with what I've seen here before; that it kind of feels like a toy. It feels lightweight and plasticky to me - which I know is an advantage for some. The other thing I didn't like was the lack of the top LCD on the shoulder. That's pretty important to me.

So, she ended up getting a 60D and is pretty happy with it.

A few months later I got a fantastic deal on a 50D and a few lenses.

I like the overall feel of the 50D better than her 60D. It's a bit bigger and feels more solid. I do think her 60D gives better high ISO performance though.

I'm still pretty new to photography so I can't really give much in the way of a technical comparison.

Jason

50D - Canon 60mm Macro - Sigma 30mm - Canon 70-300mm DO IS - Canon 17-85mm IS - Canon 50mm 1.8 II
Flickr (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 04, 2011 03:57 |  #39

Amamba wrote in post #13489510 (external link)
Unless you shoot a lot of fast moving subjects, I honestly fail to see how you'd get less OOF shots with 50D. Especially using a single point mode. Is it really that much difference ? I am curious.

Fast moving subjects found with a T2i.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

No troubles gathering the images with the T2i.

sponsored links

4,664 views & 0 likes for this thread
T2i to 50D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.