Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 07:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cactus V4s failing in the cold?

Wallpap3r
383 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 04, 2011 07:14 |  #1

Whenever I take my triggers outside when its cold (anywhere from 20-30F) my cactus triggers slowly degrade into uselessness as they get colder. At first they will be fine, then I'll have to be closer than normal, then I'll have to hold the camera way out in front of me for it to trigger at all. A few minutes after that I often can't even trigger them from inches away.

Anyone know a fix for this? Or did I just waste another $40 on weak triggers?

Flickr (external link)
40D || 50 1.8 II || 18-55IS || 85 1.8 || 430EXII || YN560 x2 || Cheap umbrellas x2 || QBox 24 || Cheap macro crap

sponsored links
ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 04, 2011 09:20 |  #2

This is an issue with any battery. Battery performance drops significantly even at that temperature. Have batteries in a pocket inside your jacket and switch them out. A "cold" battery will regain its performance once warm again.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,870 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 04, 2011 09:23 |  #3

I'd guess it would be the batteries.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

leeport
817 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 04, 2011 09:25 |  #4

Check out this tread.
https://photography-on-the.net …=1062291&highli​ght=cactus

There was an issue with them not working in the heat. I know yours is a cold issue, but if you go to post #19 of the mentioned thread, you might see a solution. The manufacturer had a batch that were subject and fixed the problem. Hope that helps.

rudy_216
299 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 04, 2011 15:14 |  #5

Don't assume it is the battery. Some electronic components change their value whith changes in temperture. Capacitors and inductors used in radio frequency circuits will change their value. Transistors will change the amount of gain they have.

One of the differences between better equipment and cheap crap is how well it handles conditions outside the norm. The circuit design of most of the 433MHz based radios is designed to be cheap to manufacture. (designs that use a 12 volt battery in the transmitter)

Wallpap3r
THREAD ­ STARTER
383 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 05, 2011 23:45 |  #6

leeport wrote in post #13492646 (external link)
Check out this tread.
https://photography-on-the.net …=1062291&highli​ght=cactus

There was an issue with them not working in the heat. I know yours is a cold issue, but if you go to post #19 of the mentioned thread, you might see a solution. The manufacturer had a batch that were subject and fixed the problem. Hope that helps.

Hmm, not sure if it would apply to the V4 models. Its definitely not the batteries, the flashes use the same batteries (eneloop) and dont have any problems

rudy_216 wrote in post #13493860 (external link)
Don't assume it is the battery. Some electronic components change their value whith changes in temperture. Capacitors and inductors used in radio frequency circuits will change their value. Transistors will change the amount of gain they have.

One of the differences between better equipment and cheap crap is how well it handles conditions outside the norm. The circuit design of most of the 433MHz based radios is designed to be cheap to manufacture. (designs that use a 12 volt battery in the transmitter)

Know any transmitters that perform well in the cold that arent as pricey as pocketwizards?

Flickr (external link)
40D || 50 1.8 II || 18-55IS || 85 1.8 || 430EXII || YN560 x2 || Cheap umbrellas x2 || QBox 24 || Cheap macro crap

sponsored links

853 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cactus V4s failing in the cold?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.