Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MkII vs 7D - Show us the difference

bigland
405 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 04, 2011 13:23 |  #46

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13493276 (external link)
Don't be so sensitive.

Call me sensitive or whatever you may. In the time that I have been on here, I have found most members quite helpful. Comments like the ones above do nothing to improve POTN or help the OP in their question.

I refuse to accept that statement. I guess I'm just too sensitive.

Thorrulz wrote in post #13493281 (external link)
Is another 7d/5D/5DMII thread necessary, really? I stated earlier in this thread how the op could have done a search for similar threads of this nature. As far as I am aware the op could have posted in those threads since they aren't locked to my knowledge.

By that same argument, don't you think that another person complaining about another 7D/5DII thread is necessary? Last I checked, you clicked here on your own. The thread title is very direct - you could have chose to skip it. But no, unfortunately you decided to jump in and rant about the answer that you wanted to.

The OP didn't start a thread asking "Which do I get". To quote... here is what he/she asked:

I keep coming across threads where people with both bodies say one shines where the other is lacking and vice versa.

Does anyone have any pictures that creates a fair comparison to support this? There's been plenty of anecdotal evidence, but I've yet to see.

So let's do a check here:
OP mentioned of reading other threads? CHECK
OP asked about where he/she could find a side by side comparison? Check

Thorrulz rants on about repeat threads not answering the OP's question? Check

Thanks for showing up. Your post count here at POTN has gone up another few notches!

5DII | 35 f/1.4L | 85 f/1.8 | 430EX II

sponsored links
bigland
405 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 04, 2011 13:24 |  #47

Don't be so sensitive.

Old Baldy wrote in post #13493399 (external link)
+1.

Can't stand this type of commentary. If the subject bores you, don't read or post in the thread.

Well Old Baldy, welcome to "so sensitive" club. :rolleyes:

5DII | 35 f/1.4L | 85 f/1.8 | 430EX II

stockshas
247 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 04, 2011 13:32 |  #48

bigland wrote in post #13493402 (external link)
By that same argument, don't you think that another person complaining about another 7D/5DII thread is necessary? Last I checked, you clicked here on your own. The thread title is very direct - you could have chose to skip it. But no, unfortunately you decided to jump in and rant about the answer that you wanted to.

Agree+1

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,741 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 04, 2011 14:08 |  #49

If you check my previous posts here on potn I will offer advice to individuals who are genuinely seeking some help or direction. But for you sensitive types who are too lazy to check prior postings and start another thread regarding something that's already been discussed to death I have no sympathy whatsoever.

Now please lets quit dealing with feelings and get back on topic. What was that again? Oh yes, what camera takes better pictures?

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

silverpilot03
123 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 04, 2011 14:37 as a reply to  @ Thorrulz's post |  #50

I had both. This 7D review (scroll down to "Comparison with 5D Mark II") http://rolandlim.wordp​ress.com …1/06/canon-eos-7d-review/ (external link) helped me decide which one to keep.

way too much Canon stuff for an amateur

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 04, 2011 15:13 |  #51

Lucky me, I have had both and I don't need anybody to help me decide which one to keep :).

silverpilot03 wrote in post #13493687 (external link)
I had both. This 7D review (scroll down to "Comparison with 5D Mark II") http://rolandlim.wordp​ress.com …1/06/canon-eos-7d-review/ (external link) helped me decide which one to keep.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 04, 2011 15:17 |  #52

OP:

I had both cameras. Compared both. 5d is superior for my needs.
Do yourself a favor and go to bestbuy and buy both and return the one you think is best for your needs.

datadump

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 04, 2011 15:18 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

datadump wrote in post #13493873 (external link)
OP:

I had both cameras. Compared both. 5d is superior for my needs.
Do yourself a favor and go to bestbuy and buy both and return the one you think is best for your needs.

Why would he do that? ;)

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 04, 2011 15:32 |  #54

I have both.

Simply put.

Image quality is better in the 5d2.

Focus tracking is better in the 7d.

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 04, 2011 15:34 |  #55

Don't be so sensitive.

Don't be so insensitive.

Or are you trying to up your post count rapidly?

Regards, Wim

5D Mk II & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & a solitary zoom, OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Pen-F & Panasonic GM5 with 11 primes, 8 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 04, 2011 15:36 |  #56

bigland wrote in post #13492748 (external link)
Gotcha.. I may be mistaken, but does the 7D have a larger viewfinder?

EDIT: Nevermind... did a little looking... 5DII is larger.

And a lot brighter too, and it also doesn't have the tunnel vision of the 7D :D.

Kind regards, Wim ;)

5D Mk II & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & a solitary zoom, OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Pen-F & Panasonic GM5 with 11 primes, 8 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

Laouik
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 04, 2011 15:36 |  #57

modchild wrote in post #13492718 (external link)
Why dont you just buy both of them and compare the pics yourself. I wanted to know what the difference was like so I got the 5D2 to go with my 7D and I looked for myself. Guess what? They both take great pictures if you use them right.

Must be nice having enough expendable income to buy both just like that!

I've been saving up for almost precisely a year now, and have enough for one or the other. I'll be getting a 5DII, as my interests lie in being able to take better low-light photos and better IQ interests me more than better AF.

Laouik (external link)
You want to see my gear? I thought you'd want to see my pictures...

Laouik
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 04, 2011 15:38 |  #58

Thorrulz wrote in post #13492831 (external link)
If you have to ask which is better in such a broad statement without better defining your question, most likely you're not ready for either of these more advanced dslrs.

Fischer Price on the other hand may have a camera that may match your skillset.

Really not trying to sound like a smart*ss, but asking which is better is akin to asking how dark is dark.

Not asking which is better. Asking people to qualify their statements, reportedly based on experience, with actual examples, not just talking. "Better" is a value judgement.

You are trying to be a smart ass. Trying being the operative word, your hostility has killed any humour you may have attempted.

Laouik (external link)

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 04, 2011 15:40 |  #59

bigland wrote in post #13493209 (external link)
I knew I read something that made me think that the 7D had a bigger viewfinder. That's what it is... the 5DII has a 97% or 98% VF?

That is only the part of the entire frame you see in the VF. However, the 5D II VF is significantly bigger and brighter, and as a result doesn't have the tunnel vision typical of APS-C, and most pronouncedly actually of the 7D, which for me has the worst tunnel vision of all Canon APS-C cameras - I do wear glasses, however, which doesn't help.

Kind regards, Wim

Laouik
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 04, 2011 15:42 |  #60

And the thread is on its fourth page, and other than a reference to Kai's/DigitalRev's review (which I've viewed and is helpful), no one's come forth.

Show me a "failed" shot taken with the 5DII that you then managed to capture flawlessly with the 7D moments after!

Laouik (external link)

sponsored links

18,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MkII vs 7D - Show us the difference
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.