Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 05:17
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Is the 35mm 2.0 or the 50mm 1.4 better in low light?"
35mm f/2
30.8%
50mm f/1.4
69.2%

39 voters, 39 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the 35mm 2.0 or the 50mm 1.4 better in low light in your experience?

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,754 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 04, 2011 18:34 |  #46

I find 50mn to be almost useless on my T1i. Way too narrow even for outdoors.
Flash and Rebel kit lens will outperform 50 1.4 no flash in low light.
24-105, 18-55 and flash will do.
This is 35mm F4 and flash in total darkness..

IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eJNnpik4jA8/Tl2iKq5xB4I/AAAAAAAAW8c/uBnFLTU7vvM/s800/_MG_1262.jpg

If you want ambient light to be present increase ISO and decrease flashlight power.

IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bGQlt2xyPKY/TmgajlohpFI/AAAAAAAAXEc/GEJwKR7uNTU/s800/_MG_3495.jpg
F9, ISO400, 30mm. Flash compensation pushed to the left.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Ashura
117 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 05, 2011 08:11 |  #47

The second picture is, IMO, very unflattering.
The perspective of the 30 makes her nose look huge, and the flash makes every skin defect very apparent.
I would have used my 50, stepped back a bit, used a 2.0 aperture or so, and pushed ISO enough to get sufficient shutter speed. The picture would maybe have been a bit noisy, but with a lot more atmosphere.

flickr (external link)
50D, EF 24-105/4 L, EF 50/1.4, EF 35/2.0, EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5, 430EX, D-Lite 4 It kit

artyH
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 05, 2011 09:11 |  #48

The difference in maximum aperture doesn't mean as much as you might think. It is usually OK to hold the 35 at 1/60 and the 50mm lens requires at least 1/80 to avoid the effects of hand movement while holding the lens. Also, many people don't want to shoot the 50 at f1.4, since their copies are a little soft there. Mine is pretty good at f1.4, but indoors, I like larger f stops with the 50 - like f1.8 to increase depth of field. Even if you want to shoot the 50 at f1.4, the difference is not a full stop, because of the need for most people for higher shutte speeds with the 50.
Focal length does matter here. The 50 is now in a lens case, but often winds up on a second body, while the camera I often reach for has the 35 on it.
My answer to the original question is still that they are both very good in low light, but I use my 35f2 more.
Now, the 35f1.4 - that is a different issue entirely.

uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 05, 2011 10:11 |  #49

artyH wrote in post #13497484 (external link)
The difference in maximum aperture doesn't mean as much as you might think. It is usually OK to hold the 35 at 1/60 and the 50mm lens requires at least 1/80 to avoid the effects of hand movement while holding the lens. Also, many people don't want to shoot the 50 at f1.4, since their copies are a little soft there. Mine is pretty good at f1.4, but indoors, I like larger f stops with the 50 - like f1.8 to increase depth of field. Even if you want to shoot the 50 at f1.4, the difference is not a full stop, because of the need for most people for higher shutte speeds with the 50.
Focal length does matter here. The 50 is now in a lens case, but often winds up on a second body, while the camera I often reach for has the 35 on it.
My answer to the original question is still that they are both very good in low light, but I use my 35f2 more.
Now, the 35f1.4 - that is a different issue entirely.

What is the different issue with the 35mm 1.4 ArtyH?

Gerard Payne | www.gerardpayne.com (external link)
Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 24-105L |Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,130 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is the 35mm 2.0 or the 50mm 1.4 better in low light in your experience?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.