Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 16 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Olympus in deep trouble

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,248 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 05, 2011 14:31 |  #16

KCS wrote in post #13443086 (external link)
I work for a division of Olympus and there really isn't much worry about the ability of the company to carry on. For sure, this is one huge embarrasement, but the company is diverse enough to survive this trouble. It's too early to tell what the fallout is going to be, but I'm optimistic and everyone is working hard to make their groups successful.

I can tell there is trouble just looking at the standard four thirds body offerings - down to one. Why did they discontinue everything but the most expensive body? Makes those of us invested in s43 lens collections concerned.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 05, 2011 15:57 |  #17

I read one article today about olympus doing big trick with their finanzes at least for the last 10 years... tried to dig that up, but can't find it. ( have been reading to many online newspaper today).They have been running with bad results for years as a well kept secret. That company has some hidden finanzial bombs waiting to explode.

I am very sure that Olympus is the worst investment any could do right now. There is lots of known brands that have been buried and forgotten... Olympus could very well be the next.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

Stranger ­ or ­ Solid
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 09, 2011 17:19 |  #18

I'm not sure I think its possible that Olympus encounters some really hard times for a few years. But who knows maybe the market will completely over look this? Seems a bit odd to me either way.

Time is a great teacher but sadly kills all of his students.
Be prepared : Term Life Insurance (external link) bw!

ZLUJ
43 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 14, 2011 18:29 |  #19

Wow that's crazy.

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 14, 2011 21:13 |  #20

oh no, the once most popular brand name is in trouble.... :(

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 16, 2011 16:50 as a reply to  @ tomcat7886's post |  #21

Today, Olympus is offering the Olympus Pen (no model number) on HSN for $299. Seriously. I don't know if it's a stripped down version or what, I do know they have offered stripped down models on HSN before.

I wonder if that is related to their money woes or what.

My first slr was an Olympus and oh, how I loved it! This whole thing is so sad for me.:(

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 16, 2011 17:02 |  #22

It's two models back. That's why it is $299.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 17, 2011 14:53 |  #23

tkbslc wrote in post #13556107 (external link)
It's two models back. That's why it is $299.

Oh, okay. Thanks!

Michael101
75 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 21, 2011 01:05 |  #24

News radio is reporting a raid on olympus offices, along with records and computer equipment taken by police.

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/n​ews/business-16281034 (external link)

ZchDnn
684 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 21, 2011 01:31 |  #25

Keeps on popping up in the news. Sounds crazy!

Work: CXSTLEdotcom (external link)
Twitter: Twitter (external link)
Facebook: CXSTLE (external link)
Canon 1D Mark III / Canon 5D Mark II / Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS / Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II / Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM / Yongnuo YN685 x4 / Yongnuo YN-622C-TX / Yongnuo YN-622C x2

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 21, 2011 05:27 |  #26

Michael101 wrote in post #13577487 (external link)
News radio is reporting a raid on olympus offices, along with records and computer equipment taken by police.

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/n​ews/business-16281034 (external link)

That sounds more like Enron than Kmart or General Motors. Still, I'm going to stick with my advice that Olympus stock is more of a 'sell' recommendation right now than a 'buy'.

$0.01 for a stock isn't a bargain if the stock's final value winds up being $0.00. You still take a 100% loss when that happens.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 21, 2011 18:47 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #27

Don't know anything about the stock value but I am staying far, far away from Olympus products. It's a shame but that's what it's gonna be.

freshcargo
361 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 23, 2011 06:23 as a reply to  @ Rainyday's post |  #28

Olympus will probably emerge out of this stronger, with a better run company and stronger investors.

My 2c

Matt

1DsMk III, 5DII, 17-40L. 135L. 70-200mmL II. 50mm F/1.4

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,248 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 23, 2011 15:22 |  #29

I hope they do continue and improve the standard four thirds sensor. I have some nice four thirds glass but the sensors are just too noisy above ISO 800.

Flickr (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 23, 2011 15:38 |  #30

freshcargo wrote in post #13589179 (external link)
Olympus will probably emerge out of this stronger, with a better run company and stronger investors.

I'd be fine with that so long as they first cooperate with the law, expose everyone involved in malfeasance and some significant jail time is handed out.

Then perhaps a completely new management team could take over and pick up the pieces.

But I'm weird like that. I'm often actually offended by gross malfeasance and evildoing by corporations and their officers. Most people don't seem to give a rip, even though these people are typically stealing billions of dollars.

It's funny. Everyone knows the pecadilloes of every celebrity out there, but I have found very few people who understand the kinds of massive fraud that was happening prior to the most recent economic catastrophy of 2007-2009.

I'll mention how Goldman Sachs created huge mortgage backed securities, bribed Moody's to give them a high rating, peddled them to their clients and simultaneously shorted the investments. I usually get a blank stare. These guys make Al Capone look like an honest business man. Where are the RICO suits?

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links

6,433 views & 0 likes for this thread
Olympus in deep trouble
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.