Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Now I know why you guys bicker about someone messing with your watermarks!

chrisandaivi
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 06, 2011 10:51 |  #1

I posted the attached file from a christmas party and put my watermark on it ( on facebook) I have nothing against people copying or saving my picture BUT i was just irritated that someone will crop adjust and etc etc.. NOW i know everyone's headache when this happens.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear: 5D Mark II, Canon 85mm 1.2 L ,Canon 17-40mm F4L
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L, Canon 70-200mm F4L
580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

sponsored links
chrisandaivi
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 06, 2011 10:52 |  #2

here's another one they had fun with.. I'm soo irritated, BUT whatever at least they liked the picture I shared with them.

HOSTED PHOTO

580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 06, 2011 11:09 |  #3

Send them a DMCA takedown notice.

Also...maybe you should have cropped out the chair first and then put your watermark on it. Or make it harder to crop out - put it top right and use a logo not a long string of text. Then to crop it out they would have to cut out heads.

Gear List

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 06, 2011 11:11 |  #4

I'd be more annoyed that someone had messed with the levels, exposure etc tbh. You've delivered art and they've painted it a different colour.

Chris Giles Photography

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 06, 2011 11:12 |  #5

Oh, and don't expect repeat business from that, just tell them to take it down. It only makes you look bad.

Chris Giles Photography

chrisandaivi
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 06, 2011 11:30 |  #6

'I'm more annoyed about the FACT that whenever someone will ask about who took those photos they will say it was ME.

580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,254 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 06, 2011 11:34 |  #7

chrisandaivi wrote in post #13503596 (external link)
'I'm more annoyed about the FACT that whenever someone will ask about who took those photos they will say it was ME.

I had that happen with some family wedding pics. The bride did a total hack effects job on a shot, since so many people knew I was the wedding photographer I was worried that they might think I did that.

chrisandaivi
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 06, 2011 11:34 |  #8

Numenorean wrote in post #13503519 (external link)
Send them a DMCA takedown notice.

Also...maybe you should have cropped out the chair first and then put your watermark on it. Or make it harder to crop out - put it top right and use a logo not a long string of text. Then to crop it out they would have to cut out heads.

Yeah i should have cropped out the chair in the first place-- I batched all the pictures of the party and did not really looked at each photos.

580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 06, 2011 11:46 |  #9

If theyre paying you good then let them do whatever the hell they want. Display the real version on your portfolio and move on. Photos will get murdered no matter what, and those who respect the art behind photography will respect the money they put behind it to not manipulate what the photographer intended.

On the other hand, you can do a lot better. With that first photo, their crop looks better than yours for example. You shouldve had the guy in the left more inside the frame and took the chair out, and fixed the white balance.

Be glad they cropped your watermark out on the photos they made look like crap. You need to improve your watermark also. Its neither legible nor pleasing to look at. You dont need to distract them with it by putting it over her thigh, and you don't need a copyright symbol, it's copywritten the instant you take the shot, especially if you have your camera burn the author info into the image. The main goal for watermarking should be for others to find you, so you can get more business - nothing else. In todays world, a watermark isn't going to stop a thief from stealing your photo - which, in this case, clearly isn't going to happen anyway.

chrisandaivi
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 06, 2011 12:38 |  #10

Just like i said I never looked at all the pictures. I just batched it and put it up so peeps can see the photos online. I wasn't worried about someone stealing the picture, I'm just stating the fact that now i know how it feels when someone manipulates or does something to your photo.

580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,412 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Dec 06, 2011 18:00 |  #11

thedcmule2 wrote in post #13503659 (external link)
.....and you don't need a copyright symbol, it's copywritten the instant you take the shot, especially if you have your camera burn the author info into the image.

This is all true. However, having a copyright message on images means that people can't claim they didn't know it was copyrighted should you ever feel the need to go to court (such as in a case where the person pinching the image is selling it or using it for their business). Penalties are more severe and damages larger in a case of wilful infringement than they are in a case of ignorant infringement.

Further more, if you are in the USA, removal of a copyright notice is a offence carrying a fine of up to $2500 for each instance (http://www.copyright.g​ov/title17/92chap5.htm​l#506 (external link) clause (d)).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 06, 2011 18:08 |  #12

The way they destroyed the image, be glad they removed your watermark. You wouldn't want people to think it was your work. +1 on sending a DCMA

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 07, 2011 10:59 |  #13

Dan Marchant wrote in post #13505223 (external link)
This is all true. However, having a copyright message on images means that people can't claim they didn't know it was copyrighted should you ever feel the need to go to court (such as in a case where the person pinching the image is selling it or using it for their business). Penalties are more severe and damages larger in a case of wilful infringement than they are in a case of ignorant infringement.

Further more, if you are in the USA, removal of a copyright notice is a offence carrying a fine of up to $2500 for each instance (http://www.copyright.g​ov/title17/92chap5.htm​l#506 (external link) clause (d)).

I'm curious about this.....

I don't actually put a (C) or "Copyright" on my watermark, it's just my logo/business name. Does that count as a copyright notice or should I add a (C) thing in there?

Gear List

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 07, 2011 12:55 |  #14

I shoot youth sports and I post game photos up on Facebook. When I do, I fully expect that the kids (and parents) will wreak all kinds of havoc on the photos. Just consider anything that you post on Facebook to be fair game because that's basically what it is. If you don't want people to put their own spin on it, don't post it on FB.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,147 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Dec 07, 2011 17:41 |  #15

Numenorean wrote in post #13508535 (external link)
I'm curious about this.....

I don't actually put a (C) or "Copyright" on my watermark, it's just my logo/business name. Does that count as a copyright notice or should I add a (C) thing in there?

According to the law, there is a specific definition of what the copyright notice should be (and "(C)" does not qualify--you have to use the proper symbol or spell the word out). However, the law doesn't require the copyright notice at all.

There haven't been any court challenges on this that I've heard of, but conceivably someone might try to argue that using a "wrong" notice was confusing: "Well, gee, yerhoner, I thought that C in parenthesis meant 'Creative Commons'--I looked it up in the copyright law and didn't see anything about a C in parenthesis. He got me confooosed. That makes me innocent, right?"

So I would recommend that if you add a notice at all, be sure you're doing it as defined by the law.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links

4,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
Now I know why you guys bicker about someone messing with your watermarks!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.