Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 05 Feb 2010 (Friday) 23:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark III Rumors

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 05, 2011 17:49 |  #2101
bannedPermanent ban

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #13499875 (external link)
I can't imagine that Canon would offer a T4i as their biggest MP camera, ahead of the 1DX, 7D and potential 5DIII, which all seem to be aligning at 18mp.
The difference between 18mp and 21mp is pretty slim. No one will notice any real world difference in their prints. I could quite happily run a 5DIII or 1DX along side a 5DII and no one would notice the MP difference and as I mostly use fast primes for my professional work, I doubt that anyone would notice the lower iso noise ability between the two cameras either....so why upgrade you might ask? It's quite simple really, shutter count on the camera is getting quite high and one of my 5DII's is about to enter it's 4th wedding season next year. I worry about reliablity.

There is a difference on the way that a full frame/x1.3 sensor camera handles ISO noise over a crop sensor camera as well

sponsored links
helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 05, 2011 17:51 |  #2102

vipergts831 wrote in post #13499836 (external link)
I would be extremely happy if canon went 18mp in the next 5dmkIII :D

I agree as well...I assumed the 1Dx and recent D800 speculation sealed the deal that the 5DIII was/is going to be the high MP Canon camera but I'd much prefer if that wasn't the case.

-Dave

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,410 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 05, 2011 17:56 |  #2103

400dabuser wrote in post #13499967 (external link)
There is a difference on the way that a full frame/x1.3 sensor camera handles ISO noise over a crop sensor camera as well

Yes I've always been dissapointed with the 1.6x cropped sensor's iso abilities compared to the full frame sensors. My old 40D was pretty bad, worse than my older 20D and my current 7D isn't much good over 800 iso. Usable, but noisy. The AF system is nice though :D
Canon can make a 24mp cropped sensor match a 7D's sensor for iso noise, it's nearly 2 years between those two cameras. But that doesn't mean that keeping the pixel pitch confined to 18mp shouldn't offer a little bit more iso ability.

Regards, Gareth Cooper
"If you’re happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then you’re having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List Flickr (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 05, 2011 18:38 |  #2104
bannedPermanent ban

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #13500000 (external link)
Yes I've always been dissapointed with the 1.6x cropped sensor's iso abilities compared to the full frame sensors. My old 40D was pretty bad, worse than my older 20D and my current 7D isn't much good over 800 iso. Usable, but noisy. The AF system is nice though :D
Canon can make a 24mp cropped sensor match a 7D's sensor for iso noise, it's nearly 2 years between those two cameras. But that doesn't mean that keeping the pixel pitch confined to 18mp shouldn't offer a little bit more iso ability.

My 50D is shockingly poor at ISO3200, its manageable at ISO1600 though

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,104 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 05, 2011 19:20 |  #2105

It seems to me that the new crop sensors are doing an amazing job, and bode really well for the ISO abilities of the Mark III. Sure they aren't as good as the Mark II at high ISO, but they are pretty close, even though they have nearly as many pixels in a much smaller sensor. This suggests to me that since the 5D2 came out Canon has really improved their algorithms (or whatever it is that causes the 7D/T2i/60D/T3i to do pretty darn well at 1600/3200).

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

waving_odd
86 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 05, 2011 20:46 |  #2106

bzollinger wrote in post #13498780 (external link)
This is wrong, you're referencing an article about the T4i......:roll:

Read my post again. I was replying to the following statement from "canon shooter". :confused:

canon shooter wrote in post #13498480 (external link)
It was mentioned not to expect a big mp camera from Canon in the immediate future.

If you still don't understand my point, I meant it is too early to conclude "Canon is leaving the MP race." The recent article (external link) from Canon Japan R&D of 1D X clearly indicates that Canon is testing the market response on the lower MP count on 1D X.

If T4i really goes up to 24MP on APS-C, we will have more info / rumor for the resolution of the upcoming 5DIII. It won't take long to know coz the T4i is releasing soon.

5D II₧₧₧TS 24 f/3.5L II₧₧₧16-35 f/2.8L II
7D₧₧₧₧₧50 f/1.2L₧₧₧₧24-70 f/2.8L
60D₧₧₧₧_85 f/1.2L II₧₧_70-200 f/2.8L IS
40D___Macro 100 f/2.8L IS_______________
Next: 1D X | 5D III | 35 f/1.4L II | 24-70 f/2.8L II/IS

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 06, 2011 11:05 |  #2107

400dabuser wrote in post #13500221 (external link)
My 50D is shockingly poor at ISO3200, its manageable at ISO1600 though

"Shockingly poor" is a relative term...5 or 6 years ago we'd all have been thrilled by 3200 on a crop sensor that didn't look like one of those 3D art posters.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

codak
279 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 06, 2011 12:32 |  #2108

Well I'm sure my xti is pretty damn bad compared to your guys camera at 1600 ISO

Canon 5DII - Canon EOS 1V-HS - 8-15mm L - 17-40mm L - 24-70mm L - 24-105mm L - 70-200mm/2.8is ii L - 580EX - Yashica FX-D & FX-7
Flickr (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 06, 2011 13:15 |  #2109

"Two different pieces of information put the camera above 30mp. I get the idea there is more than one sensor being put through the paces. It will not have a pro AF system. It was suggested by one person that the AF will actually be a lesser version of the 7D autofocus system. The camera would not have a crazy frame per second rating, something in the 3-4fps range like the current 5D Mark II."

Well im not buying one now, less af than a 7d! Im disappoint son!

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 06, 2011 15:07 |  #2110

If 5dMarkIII is not having a 7D AF and fps, it will be the biggest disapointment Canon has managed to give its costumers so far. There is a big hype about a comming 5d, and that will end into a big What?, I sell my canon gear and go to Nikon wave. At least it will be that cind of statements in the forums... if people actually do it is another question.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,410 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 06, 2011 16:17 |  #2111

Kent, if you want a 1DX then buy one. The 5D series has always been about a state of the art resolution / sensor, with an under specced body. Why would you expect a 5DIII to change all that?
My problem with the 5DIII is that I really don't need over 21mp...the current 5DII is quite enough. What I need is a slightly more versatile camera and the only one that really fits is the 1DX...which is where Canon have been so clever with their specs.

Regards, Gareth Cooper
"If you’re happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then you’re having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List Flickr (external link)

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,921 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Dec 06, 2011 16:47 |  #2112

helloagain36 wrote in post #13499973 (external link)
I agree as well...I assumed the 1Dx and recent D800 speculation sealed the deal that the 5DIII was/is going to be the high MP Canon camera but I'd much prefer if that wasn't the case.

I can see canon taking a variation of the sensor being used in the 1Dx and dropping it into a 5d video dslr. That is what they are going for in the new rumor speculation. It will pair up with the 1D prototype showcased in the C300 announcement:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,921 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Dec 06, 2011 16:50 |  #2113

waving_odd wrote in post #13500947 (external link)
Read my post again. I was replying to the following statement from "canon shooter". :confused:

If you still don't understand my point, I meant it is too early to conclude "Canon is leaving the MP race." The recent article (external link) from Canon Japan R&D of 1D X clearly indicates that Canon is testing the market response on the lower MP count on 1D X.

If T4i really goes up to 24MP on APS-C, we will have more info / rumor for the resolution of the upcoming 5DIII. It won't take long to know coz the T4i is releasing soon.

I see that being a response to Sony going 24mp in their A77 camera line (although to me this camera should be put up against the 7D market).

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 06, 2011 17:21 |  #2114

kent andersen wrote in post #13504488 (external link)
If 5dMarkIII is not having a 7D AF and fps, it will be the biggest disapointment Canon has managed to give its costumers so far. There is a big hype about a comming 5d, and that will end into a big What?, I sell my canon gear and go to Nikon wave. At least it will be that cind of statements in the forums... if people actually do it is another question.

So you'd switch just because Canon doesn't put zone AF in the 5DIII?

Wishing for the 7D system in the 5D was always just a wish. Shooters who want ultimate Servo performance and customizability won't be looking at slow cameras. Sure, it'd be nice, but not necessary. Adding outer cross points, spot AF, more accurate and consistent center point, and a wider point spread would be much more beneficial for the intended users.

What would be worth leaving is if Canon leaves the existing AF.

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 06, 2011 17:31 |  #2115

vipergts831 wrote in post #13504927 (external link)
I can see canon taking a variation of the sensor being used in the 1Dx and dropping it into a 5d video dslr. That is what they are going for in the new rumor speculation. It will pair up with the 1D prototype showcased in the C300 announcement:

Don't go getting me all excited now! :)

Honestly, I would probably go for a 1Dx if it weren't for the cost...I just can't justify it...but a watered down version in the form of a 5D that falls in the 3-4K range is exactly what I am looking for...so this theory is right up my alley.

-Dave

sponsored links

690,394 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark III Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.