Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 20:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Xti is taking better pics than my new t3i? What gives?

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 06, 2011 22:49 |  #31

As others have said, LCD screens are not the best choice for this test. I was also wondering if both shots are taken from from different distance and are both at 100% or if you took the shots from the same location, with the resolution influencing at how many % they are seen.

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

sponsored links
sev
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 07, 2011 00:19 |  #32

sebr wrote in post #13506564 (external link)
As others have said, LCD screens are not the best choice for this test. I was also wondering if both shots are taken from from different distance and are both at 100% or if you took the shots from the same location, with the resolution influencing at how many % they are seen.

Sorry I had stepped away for dinner. Both shots are at the same exact exposure, f-stop and iso, (1/60, F/4, iso 400 on P mode) so one cannot be over exposed or under exposed more than the other, unless there's something I am not understanding at all here. Both are JPEG files on the L setting and the scene mode is 3,0,0,0.

Both photos were taken on a tripod with a non image stabilized Sigma 18-125mm lens and a speedlite 430ex II on a tripod that was not moved, so they are at the exact same distance.

The only reason the framing is different because I opened up the picture in windows picture viewer, zoomed in 10 clicks on each one and tried to center both as best as I could and took a screencap of both, obviously it was not centered perfectly.

The reason I chose the monitor is because I manually set the autofocus to the center of the frame, which ended up landing exactly on the monitor to the right, that is why I zoomed in there 10 clicks.

When I attempted to shoot another subject, specifically more close up, the t3i resolve much better detail than the xti, however I still cannot come up with an explanation on why most of my shots with the t3i come out blurry and my shots with the xti come out pretty crisp.

A poster earlier mentioned that perhaps the tripod shook a bit when hitting the shutter, this is a possibility, but I took the same shot 3 times with each camera at nearly the same outcome.

fiftyD
75 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 07, 2011 01:14 as a reply to  @ sev's post |  #33

looks like a focus issue like was said,

IMO the auto focus is not seeing enough contrast on the monitor to focus correctly

try that same test with manual focus ?

or try turning on all the focus points.

sev
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 07, 2011 01:48 |  #34

fiftyD wrote in post #13507023 (external link)
looks like a focus issue like was said,

IMO the auto focus is not seeing enough contrast on the monitor to focus correctly

try that same test with manual focus ?

or try turning on all the focus points.

I think youre right, i tried replicating this issue in a room that had dark blue walls and the 53i beat the pants off of the xti in sharpness and clarity every time.

jezzarino
43 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 07, 2011 03:36 |  #35

I'm having a guess here, but I think the different images having different exposures is due to ETTL. Try setting the flash to M to shut all the critics up :)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,871 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 07, 2011 10:24 as a reply to  @ jezzarino's post |  #36

sev, I noticed your comment "Both photos were taken on a tripod with a non image stabilized Sigma 18-125mm lens and a speedlite 430ex II ". The fact that your lens is non-stabilized makes me think it is several years old, since I think Sigma put OS into the lens around 2008. It is fairly well known that old Sigma lenses on relatively new bodies have some focusing issues, especially at low light levels. Sigma can recalibrate the lens, depending on age and parts availability. The different bodies might deal with this differently so it is somewhat the effect of the lens/body combination.

I would get the subject matter into a daylight scenario and start with that comparison.

JoYork
Goldmember
3,079 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 07, 2011 11:05 |  #37

This might not be the issue, but I had a Sigma lens (30mm prime) and I had totally inconsistent results with my bodies, whereas the person I bought it off (40d) and person I sold it to (50d) said it was fine for them.

Jo
Flickr (external link)

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 07, 2011 11:52 |  #38

sev wrote in post #13506874 (external link)
The only reason the framing is different because I opened up the picture in windows picture viewer, zoomed in 10 clicks on each one and tried to center both as best as I could and took a screencap of both, obviously it was not centered perfectly.* * *

Don't use the Windows picture viewer as your test sample production engine - I think it's probably worthless for really seeing what the images look like. Use DPP or something else (e.g., Photoshop) that will reliably give you a 100% pixel view.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 07, 2011 14:03 |  #39

John from PA wrote in post #13508372 (external link)
sev, I noticed your comment "Both photos were taken on a tripod with a non image stabilized Sigma 18-125mm lens and a speedlite 430ex II ". The fact that your lens is non-stabilized makes me think it is several years old, since I think Sigma put OS into the lens around 2008. It is fairly well known that old Sigma lenses on relatively new bodies have some focusing issues, especially at low light levels. Sigma can recalibrate the lens, depending on age and parts availability. The different bodies might deal with this differently so it is somewhat the effect of the lens/body combination.

I would get the subject matter into a daylight scenario and start with that comparison.

This. Sigma lens + canon bodies = focusing issue. Even new sigma lenses will focus differently on different bodies although not usually this badly at f4. Do the same test focusing manual with live view, or using the contrast detect with live view.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sev
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 07, 2011 14:09 |  #40

John from PA wrote in post #13508372 (external link)

Wow thanks so much, in fact it is a pretty old lens, I got it in 2007. Should How do I contact Sigma? Through their website?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,871 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 07, 2011 15:36 as a reply to  @ sev's post |  #41

The thread over at http://forums.dpreview​.com …orum=1029&messa​ge=9964697 (external link) discusses the front focusing issue that is common to many Sigma lenses. If you look at some of the replies getting this corrected involves sending the lens back to Sigma for "calibration" with the camera body for verification. So I would start with the Sigma Customer Service. Apparently the lens is modified and the tests are conducted on the body to make sure everything is working properly. The process from what I can learn using Google takes about an hour so that would add up to something like US$100 or perhaps more. You might be better off getting a new lens! But I would do so in a local store or deal with someone reputable (B&H) that permits returns.

Perhaps the newer lenses are better or I just got lucky. I purchased the Sigma 18-55mm 2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM lens as my walkaround lens for my 60D. I couldn't be happier (as compared to the Canon kits lens). In fact I shot about 250 exposures at my niece's wedding recently and burned a DVD of both the RAW and JPG images and gave it to the "pros" that were doing the wedding. I heard from them about two weeks later and they were quite complimentary of my abilities and the quality of the pictures.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 07, 2011 15:43 |  #42

Is your flash set to manual or ETTL? If it's in ETTL, that would explain the exposure difference. Make sure that your flash is in manual (or don't even use a flash) to keep everything exactly the same.

CU ­ Wader
173 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 07, 2011 21:17 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

sev wrote in post #13509339 (external link)
Wow thanks so much, in fact it is a pretty old lens, I got it in 2007. Should How do I contact Sigma? Through their website?

I'm surprised no one has suggested that you should try using a Canon lens on both camera bodies, seeing that your initial complaint was about the T3i camera, not the lens.

Yes, a lens that is four years old is ancient. I would bypass the website and telephone Mr. Sigma directly at his residence.

BTW, good job pulling the wool over everyone's eyes (well, almost everyone).

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,871 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 08, 2011 10:24 |  #44

CU Wader, if you think "...a lens that is four years old is ancient" is true, then you must be in marketing with a lens manufacturer.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 08, 2011 11:09 |  #45

I think there may have been a teeny bit of sarcasm in that post.

The "Mr Sigma" gave it away for me ;)

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links

22,968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Xti is taking better pics than my new t3i? What gives?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.