Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 05:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 08, 2011 00:48 |  #196

Had both 70-200 f/4 IS and Canon 100mm USM macro. With a ~50mm extension tube, it's not so good as a macro lens because the minimal AF is so long still.

A longer telephoto macro will work but you will likely need a tripod or hand-holding with flash. DOF is just way to shallow at smaller aperture.

150mm's MFD is not that much more than 100mm though. It's still only 15in for 150mm vs 12in for 100mm. At 1.4x TC, 1:1 MFD willl be somewhere around 18in.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

ecka
501 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 09, 2011 05:58 |  #197

Kiwikat wrote in post #13511741 (external link)
Does anyone know what the MFD is with a 1.4x attached?

This lens really interests me. I didn't like the 100mm focal length, lack of image stabilization, or the MFD of my last macro lens. I had to get too close to insects.

I'll either be picking this or the 70-200 f/4 L IS. I really do miss having a macro lens in my bag, but the 70-200 might be a better choice. Ugh. :confused:

Unlike with the extension tubes, adding a TC of any kind doesn't change the MFD (or MWD) of the lens. You will get 1.4 times more magnification at the same focusing distances. ;)

Gear List ~(Size Matters!)~ flickr (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 09, 2011 12:56 |  #198

TweakMDS wrote in post #10948221 (external link)
Well, IS is far from a must on action scenes like you posted, since your shutterspeed has to be far beyond the minimums for handholding anyway. I don't really miss it often on my 100mm macro, but there are many times where I would really like to be able to handhold at speeds of 1/30 - 1/60th, which isn't really an option.

As for AF speed, I'm going by reputation here, but how would you say your 150 macro compares to the 135L and 200L (2.8 I assume)? Even with the focus limiter, I can't imagine it being anywhere close actually...

Thanks for bringing that up. I am sitting here right now pondering the purchase of the Sigma 700-200 f2.8 with OS vs the non-OS version. The difference is $600 and I just shot some pics last night at a basketball game with my Sigma 150mm APO Macro with no OS and despite feeling like I was shaking too much (that thing is heavy!) everything turned out OK. I've never shot indoor sports before so I was afraid the macro would focus too slow but it did just fine. I just set the focus limiter to not go into the macro range.

So back to my point, I had my mind set on the new OS version but with the $600 savings I could buy a Canon 85mm f1.8 as well and still have some cash left over. I'm starting to wonder just how often I would need to shoot down at 1/60 handheld at 200mm.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

jro
165 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 22, 2012 15:20 |  #199

any more pics with this lens?? anyone use it with the sigma 2x?

5D Mark II | 17-40 f4L | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f4L | Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 50 f1.4 | 100 f2.8 macro | 15 f2.8 fisheye
580ex II | Slik 814 CFII + AF2100
For sale: Sigma 30mm f1.4

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

49,793 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.