Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 29 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 03:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First attempt at Moon

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 07, 2011 06:51 |  #16

I agree, it still looks like movement to me. Mirror slap, maybe? Is your connection to the tripod nice and solid?

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sponsored links
takadakeyo
THREAD ­ STARTER
71 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 10, 2011 02:39 |  #17

Yeah the 1/8000 came out very noisy.
Here is the 1/8000, f/8, ISO1000

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1110.photobuck​et.com …toartistry/IMG_​6793_1.jpg (external link)

Ok ill try shoot in live view and not with mirror lockup.
Yes very solid and very heavy, high quality tripod. Should I add more weights?

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 10, 2011 03:42 as a reply to  @ takadakeyo's post |  #18

A few things I've found out with the moon.

Use a tripod
Don't use image stability
Use manual focus only via live view

Spot meter and when doing so don't deliberately overexpose because it appears white. It isn't, it's pretty much middle grey.

1/160 second is fine as a shutter speed...

http://www.facebook.co​m/Chrisgilesphotograph​y (external link) - from last night

Use mirror lockup, use a remote trigger. It takes about 4 seconds for shake to completely disappear so be mindful of this when you press a button to put the mirror up.

The image you have posted so far are either out of focus or suffer from camera movement.

Lastly, it's easier to manually focus a lens if it is pointing straight up as the weight, motion and vibration goes downwards. If the lens is directing out and away across the horizon then it's very hard to manually focus. also, atmospheric distortion is more present on the horizon.

Have fun :D

Chris Giles Photography

ohata0
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 10, 2011 06:01 |  #19

that seems really really noisy for ISO 1000. Not sure if it's supposed to be that noisy normally. If you had to bring up exposure, again, that adds to noise. Not sure if it was mentioned, but also adding contrast and sometimes sharpening (depends on your technique) will add to noise.

actually, you want to try both, live view AND w/ mirror lockup enabled (just don't take the picture in live view). Both use the mirror lockup, but handle it in slightly different ways. Just remember when you try it w/ mirror lockup enabled, you have to press the shutter 2x--first to lockup the mirror and another to take the picture (unless you're using the timer).

normally, it wouldn't matter, but I'm just curious why you are getting mirror shake if you're using live view already.

Although the picture is noisy, it doesn't seem like there's shake in that last picture...not completely sure if it's out of focus a little or not though.

If you think you may be having focus issues, try using the live view focus...it should work fine on bright objects like the moon...especially if you focus on the areas w/ the craters.

Here's a moon shot that I did earlier this week, if you're interested in my process.
http://www.flickr.com …0/sets/72157617​333723890/ (external link)
(the last 3 moon pictures...should be labeled moon 15)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 10, 2011 06:17 |  #20

Gel wrote in post #13522023 (external link)
A few things I've found out with the moon.

Use a tripod
Don't use image stability
Use manual focus only via live view

Or not :D

Handheld
IS on
AF using AI Servo

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/Moon%20420mm%20Handheld%20%281%20of%201%29.jpg

I've found that ISO800 and f8 means that a shutter speed of 1/1000s works. And at that speed handholding is OK, especially with IS.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 10, 2011 08:32 |  #21

Handheld works, but I don't like high ISO - Sorry about the watermarking.....this is full size, no enlarging.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Bit of CA to deal with but you get the idea.

Chris Giles Photography

dragon_irl
67 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 12, 2011 07:14 |  #22

while we're at it.....

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7147/6472490147_f43e1780c9.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …sfunpicsnvids/6​472490147/  (external link)

Canon 7D, T1i gripped, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 17-40 f/4.0 L USM, 580 EXII

BaghdadFred
871 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 12, 2011 11:15 |  #23

IMAGE: http://baghdadfred.smugmug.com/Astrophotography/09-11-2011-MOON-SHOT/i-ws2wKf7/1/M/20110911-IMG0419-M.jpg

70-200 1.4EXT f/6.3 ISO 1000 1/400 sec

Fred - Photographing everyday Military life in Iraq (external link) | SmugMug (external link)
7D | C 100-400L | Σ 70-200 2.8 OS | Σ 30 1.4 | C 10-22 | Σ 8-16 | C 17-55 2.8 IS | C 28-135 IS | 580EX II | Σ 1.4x

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 24, 2011 15:11 as a reply to  @ BaghdadFred's post |  #24

Raw mode.
Set ISO to 400
Use tripod
No filter on lens
Manual focus via LIVE view, if you have LV!
Aperture to f/9 with the TC
set AEB to 1 stop either side
Mirror lockup
Start with shutter at 1/250 or 1/320
Hit the remote shutter to lock mirror up. Wait 5 seconds. Hit shutter to take the shot
Repeat twice more for the other 2 brackets.

CHeck exposure on computer.
Tweak shutter up or down and repeat until you have your best shot.

NOTE: It seems to me that you are under-exposing slightly. Try a little brighter, and you will likely need less noise reduction. Sharpen in post.
Increase contrast slightly in post.

A pic from my 5Dc (one of the worst cameras for moon work) and an ancient, 35-year old FD 400MM lens with a badly scratched inner lens element, at 100% crop, below.
NOTE: I used a very low (too low shutter speed here, just trying it out. Turned out to be pretty sharp despite the slow shutter, for some reason!)

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6052/6327645194_b2a1fd554b_o.jpg

OB
Gear list
Flickr Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

2,978 views & 0 likes for this thread
First attempt at Moon
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.