Another one that got sick of this thread here and just dumped the 85L today in favour of 85 1.8 for following 9 reasons :
- 85 1.8 is also sharp wide open (I had both and compared them).
- I compared f1.2 <> f1.8 bokeh's and there was very little difference (I switched many times screens between same pics, the 1.8 is dreamy enough)
- they both have purple fringing/CA so no advantage of the L.
- f1.8 is mostly the edge to have both eyes sharp, f1.2 too thin if the head is not straight
- f1.8 is fast enough (and I also work with 5D2, so even ISO3200 is no problem)
- faster AF of the 1.8 is always welcome
- lighter and more compact 1.8 is nice
- I bought the L second hand for €1000 and sold it for €1000, so I actually borrowed it
- €750 extra in my wallet is always welcome (tabletpc or extra lens,...)