Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Sep 2006 (Friday) 20:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 45th TPBM Random and Undulating Chat Thread with bonus Eggs

this thread is locked
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Dec 10, 2011 14:37 |  #7636

Becky N wrote in post #13522360 (external link)
For CAT and anyone else who wants to see. My Nativity keeps growing, and I haven't ventured out to get this year's addition, yet.

QUOTED IMAGE

Very nice, Becky.

I grew up calling the the little manger scene a 'nativity.' When I married Lois she referred to it as a 'kresh.' I much prefer the term I grew up with, but around here, people don't know what I'm talking about.

Ours is plain white porcelain, and it's sitting on our patio table so we can see it from the family room, kitchen, dining room, and living room. (House is U-shaped in the back)

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

sponsored links
Becky ­ N
"full of baloney"
23,060 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 10, 2011 15:14 |  #7637

Permagrin wrote in post #13523221 (external link)
It won't load for me. Nothing comes up.

Belmondo wrote in post #13523338 (external link)
It worked fine for me. It's cute.

short5 wrote in post #13523471 (external link)
Bax! What a cutie.

Strange that Permie can't see it. The file is a .mov and I know Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize the file. The reason I posted was to hear feed back on seeing it to get an idea what other software might be needed. It took forevah to load up to Smuggy probably due that I shot in HD. Will have to do some more testing and research.

Belmondo wrote in post #13523621 (external link)
Very nice, Becky.

I grew up calling the the little manger scene a 'nativity.' When I married Lois she referred to it as a 'kresh.' I much prefer the term I grew up with, but around here, people don't know what I'm talking about.

Ours is plain white porcelain, and it's sitting on our patio table so we can see it from the family room, kitchen, dining room, and living room. (House is U-shaped in the back)

Thank you and you and you. This just grew by 2 olive trees and 6 more figurines. The place I buy from is down sizing and selling all their collectibles at 75% off. I got for my annual budge about 3 years worth. :mrgreen: but now I'll have to find a new place that sells them, locally.

I grew up calling them "kresh" also but I spell it crèche. The porcelain white sounds gorgeous. And this one is my big one a far as number of pieces, total I have 3 plus 3 of just the Holy Family.

BeckyWomen and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it. ~ Robert Heinlein; Procrastinate now! Don't put it off.. ~Cat (CFPackerfan)

Becky ­ N
"full of baloney"
23,060 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 10, 2011 15:32 |  #7638

Here is the update:

IMAGE: http://performancephoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-hRDzZcm/0/O/i-hRDzZcm.jpg

IMAGE: http://performancephoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-9QR4qKG/0/O/i-9QR4qKG.jpg

Worked a bit with live view and the 100 macro this morning. The heated bird bath is a bit frosty around the edge (about 10% crop):

IMAGE: http://performancephoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-r4tpvmV/0/O/i-r4tpvmV.jpg

BeckyWomen and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it. ~ Robert Heinlein; Procrastinate now! Don't put it off.. ~Cat (CFPackerfan)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Dec 10, 2011 15:51 |  #7639

Long long day today, I drove down to east Sussex last night (about 160 miles) to stay with a friend and up this morning at 04:30 to be at the estate office for 05:30. A dawn session in the cold netted 1 x Fallow, 1 x Roe 1 x Muntjac and a fox. A full house.

It is pretty cold and wet here at the moment and the ground is pretty much 100% clay so the new stalk mobile looks anything but new :-)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 10, 2011 21:59 |  #7640

Good Evening :D

Had a very busy, fun and rewarding day today. :D The people we were dealing with were extremely stoked, and the whole atmosphere of the Drop-In Centre was elevated above its normal level. We had TV crews in, carolers and musicians. There was a special meal put on for the clients. I can't even begin to describe how great the day was. :D

We were not as busy as we first feared we might be, but we still did 488 shoots, and printed out nearly 600 photos. There were 8 stations set up, with 2 photogs per station. Myself and the photog I was shooting with shot 90 people or groups in 6 hours. We had 20 memory cards between us, using one per shoot, returned to us with the photo for the people we were shooting. We actually ran out of cards a few times, as the folks doing the editing and printing were overwhelmed. I pulled out those old small cards that I had kept for some reason, the old 256K and 512K ones, as they were just fine for this. I think I will look to pick up a few more of these small cards that folks have laying around and don't use, before next year.

I am in for certain next year, and would encourage anyone here to join up with a local Help-Portrait group, or even begin their own.

-JIM-

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,634 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 10, 2011 22:09 |  #7641

Excellent, Jim!! Glad you had fun. It is always nice to help people out. Maybe next year I'll be able to go again!

SmugMug (external link)

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Dec 10, 2011 22:53 |  #7642

neil_r wrote in post #13523871 (external link)
Long long day today, I drove down to east Sussex last night (about 160 miles) to stay with a friend and up this morning at 04:30 to be at the estate office for 05:30. A dawn session in the cold netted 1 x Fallow, 1 x Roe 1 x Muntjac and a fox. A full house.

It is pretty cold and wet here at the moment and the ground is pretty much 100% clay so the new stalk mobile looks anything but new :-)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Neil....

Please post a photo after you get the mud off of it.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

CrazieCricket
Stupid wine.... *kicks box*
15,499 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 11, 2011 00:00 as a reply to  @ Belmondo's post |  #7643

BearLeeAlive wrote in post #13525081 (external link)

Had a very busy, fun and rewarding day today. :D The people we were dealing with were extremely stoked, and the whole atmosphere of the Drop-In Centre was elevated above its normal level. We had TV crews in, carolers and musicians. There was a special meal put on for the clients. I can't even begin to describe how great the day was. :D

We were not as busy as we first feared we might be, but we still did 488 shoots, and printed out nearly 600 photos. There were 8 stations set up, with 2 photogs per station. Myself and the photog I was shooting with shot 90 people or groups in 6 hours. We had 20 memory cards between us, using one per shoot, returned to us with the photo for the people we were shooting. We actually ran out of cards a few times, as the folks doing the editing and printing were overwhelmed. I pulled out those old small cards that I had kept for some reason, the old 256K and 512K ones, as they were just fine for this. I think I will look to pick up a few more of these small cards that folks have laying around and don't use, before next year.

I am in for certain next year, and would encourage anyone here to join up with a local Help-Portrait group, or even begin their own.

Sounds like a fantastic day! What is the official name of the organization? I'm not finding anything in my area and thought maybe I'm typing in the wrong thing. :confused: Or maybe there isn't any such group around here.

Paula

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,634 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 11, 2011 00:05 |  #7644

How is your dad, Paula?

Wife spilt iced tea on the keyboard earlier on...the keys aren't the fastest to spring back to their original positions...heh...

SmugMug (external link)

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 11, 2011 06:04 as a reply to  @ Harm's post |  #7645

Harm wrote in post #13525123 (external link)
Excellent, Jim!! Glad you had fun. It is always nice to help people out. Maybe next year I'll be able to go again!

Maybe you can get some sleep in between now and then. ;)

CrazieCricket wrote in post #13525534 (external link)
Sounds like a fantastic day! What is the official name of the organization? I'm not finding anything in my area and thought maybe I'm typing in the wrong thing. :confused: Or maybe there isn't any such group around here.

Help-Portrait (external link)
You can search for groups in your area, or you can start your own. There is getting to be lots of resources available to help the individual groups worldwide.

-JIM-

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,640 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 11, 2011 07:45 |  #7646

Good work Jim! Our North Bay group had more volunteers than they could use, so some of us just donated supplies like photo paper and cartridges. It can get rather expensive to put one of these on.

Tim

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
9,640 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 11, 2011 08:54 |  #7647

Bella being a bad girl...

IMAGE: http://tjb.smugmug.com/Other/Bella/i-trHM3B8/0/XL/B62D9227-XL.jpg

Tim

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 11, 2011 09:35 as a reply to  @ Timphoto's post |  #7648

Bella is as cute as ever! When are you getting her a friend? As I am typing this Robbie is trying to gnaw on my phone...

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

cfpackerfan
I love my tail!
51,606 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 11, 2011 10:49 as a reply to  @ Skrim17's post |  #7649

Becky N wrote in post #13522360 (external link)
For CAT and anyone else who wants to see. My Nativity keeps growing, and I haven't ventured out to get this year's addition, yet.

Very nice! Congrats on the new additions too. I didn't quote the updated pictures, but I saw them. :)
I like that you have a dog in the scene, lol. I need to get me one of those, LOL.

BearLeeAlive wrote in post #13525081 (external link)

Had a very busy, fun and rewarding day today. :D

That is SO fantastic, Jim! What a great way to spend your day. *hugs*

Cat -the femine feline with the namby arms. Loquacious, but not to a fault.
*Best post ever*  (external link)*Inspirations Photography* (external link) *Starfish Journal* (external link) *H.A.R.T.* (external link) <--clickety click!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 11, 2011 10:56 as a reply to  @ Skrim17's post |  #7650

Timphoto wrote in post #13526388 (external link)
Good work Jim! Our North Bay group had more volunteers than they could use, so some of us just donated supplies like photo paper and cartridges. It can get rather expensive to put one of these on.

Yeah, the costs can get up quite high. I am not certain, but our ink and paper costs were in the neighbourhood of $2,000 or more. We have gotten a fair bit of corporate sponsorship from a couple local camera shops (printers and ink), stationary stores (paper), Costco (gift certificates for whatever), and the like. The Drop-In Centre arranged food for us through their donors, the chief cook came in or her day off just to cook for us, and provided a great bevy of yummy foods. The staff their was extremely helpful and very upbeat type people to work with. They were excited to have us there, and we were just as thrilled to actually be there.

Never too many volunteers here. If we were to get more, we would just branch out and set up at more locations in order to reach more people who are unable or unwilling to come to us. We did have one satellite group set up at a smaller family oriented support centre nearby.

-JIM-

sponsored links

497,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 45th TPBM Random and Undulating Chat Thread with bonus Eggs
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.