Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 08 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 05:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR Video Configuration

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 08, 2011 05:15 |  #1

In a previous thread we debated how good, or bad, a DSLR was for video compared to other systems.

It occurred to me that, while shouting the pro DSLR video corner I don't use my camera as it came out of the box, when it is actually pretty poor for video.

I was therefore interested how you configure your DSLR for video work as such a beast is IMHO very different to the animal you use for still images.

To start the ball rolling:-

I believe an absolute must is a loupe. It gives a much better view of the screen, it is a third point of contact and (if you must hand hold) it puts the camera in the conventional place so you can point it naturally as you would an SLR.

With Loupes available at around £20 I would suggest this is the biggest assistance to DSLR video after the camera.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

sponsored links
Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 08, 2011 06:37 |  #2

I admit I'm a bit of an anachronism in that I've never owned a true video camera, so I don't have a baseline for comparison, but I really love doing video on my T2i. Yes, it's a PITA to manage everything in manual mode, but I compare it to DSLR still photography vs. P&S - it forces me to actually think about what I'm doing rather than just point the camera at something and push the Record button. I agree that a loupe is essential, at least for handheld. Also essential are a good fluid head tripod, Magic Lantern (if your camera supports it), a decent off-camera mic and/or digital recorder, and a variable neutral density filter to control exposure independent of aperture or shutter speed. This is the absolute minimum kit IMO. Everything else is optional depending on shooting conditions, the effect you're after, and how much gear you're willing to lug around. I've toyed with buying rails, follow focus, and all the other "serious" gear, but I fear the "frankencamera" dilemma - so much gear it defeats the advantage of hand-holdability. YMMV.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

John ­ Sims
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 08, 2011 16:25 |  #3

Mmmm. Just loaded Magic Lantern. First thoughts are it doesn't suck.

John Sims

Pepster
105 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2011

Dec 08, 2011 21:07 |  #4

John Sims wrote in post #13512471 (external link)
I believe an absolute must is a loupe. It gives a much better view of the screen, it is a third point of contact and (if you must hand hold) it puts the camera in the conventional place so you can point it naturally as you would an SLR.

Agreed, I would not even consider hitting the REC button without my Hoodman loupe attached - I use the 3x eyepiece, is a little vignetted but focussing is a breeze.

A hand strap is also essential, hold your DLSR like a camcorder, helps eliminate shake and fatigue - which causes shake too.

With a loupe and a strap, you can focus and zoom smoothly with practice, all handheld.

The hand strap is also useful to help steady the camera on a tripod if fast panning sports - pull the camera down on to the tripod helps eliminate shake and tripod jitter.

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 08, 2011 21:53 |  #5

Well now that I have a proper tripod and FF, I'm believing that is the only way to shoot video with these cameras.

As for actually setting up the HD-DSLR itself, well there are a lot of thoughts on that. Are you talking about the actual CF settings?

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

mizer357
213 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 09, 2011 02:01 |  #6

agree with chas. a good video/film tripod and a precision focus assist tool, whether it's a follow focus or zip-tie (other thread), are integral as far as i'm concerned. i have a cineroid evf that i lean on quite a bit. it acts as a loupe, is extremely lightweight, and gives me focus peaking and zebras, which i find invaluable. magic lantern, which i think is great, has some of that functionality for free, but the lag always bugged me.

John ­ Sims
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 09, 2011 03:25 |  #7

Magic Lantern has some sexy AF motor follow focus but (on my Sigma lens at least) it is so noisy that it would be useless whith anything but tight remote audio.

I agree entirely on the comments regarding a good head and sticks.

Jury is still out on Magic Lantern. It has spectacular facilities but, as I don't intend to use on board audio and the motorised follow focus is too noisy and it annoys me the way the Canon resident information can bleed over the ML. It has some awesomely cool functions but most of the realy good ones are so convoluted to set up that, unless you were doing it all the time, you'd give up before using it.

The best function so far is the shooting notification (we've all missed that shot "starting" to record when it was still recording) also that you can use the shutter button for record.

John Sims

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 09, 2011 22:29 |  #8

Damn I wish ML would/could crack the 7D!!!! Dam thing is too closely related to the 1D MkIII and IV in it's firmware. Too bad...

LOCKED DOWN!

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 09, 2011 23:44 |  #9

I don't use ML's follow focus function. The functions I use routinely are magic zoom, focus peak, and crop marks. Haven't tried HDR and intervalometer functions yet. AFIK, the audio and magic zoom functions alone are worth the price of admission.

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 09, 2011 23:46 |  #10

ChasWG wrote in post #13521400 (external link)
Damn I wish ML would/could crack the 7D!!!! Dam thing is too closely related to the 1D MkIII and IV in it's firmware. Too bad...

LOCKED DOWN!

+1. I really wish ML worked on my 7D. It would make adjusting aperture so much easier.

EdwardCasey
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 10, 2011 00:08 as a reply to  @ Snafoo's post |  #11

DSLR Video controller is best software for PC software and Hardware editing.DSLRs in particular prove to be a revelation in movie capture: what they lack in video ergonomics and ease of focusing is more than made up for in flexibility and sheer quality.

Roller Blockout Blinds (external link)

John ­ Sims
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 10, 2011 08:34 |  #12

ChasWG wrote in post #13521400 (external link)

LOCKED DOWN!

And just to rub it in - by moving the video trigger to the shutter button you can also stop/start with the remote lead which you can then mount on your tripod handle or rig grip.

I'll be getting a couple of cheap eBay releases to dissect so that I can create convenient mountings. :-)

Bet you wish you bought a 60D not a 7 now ;-)a

Oh, and if you insist on using the on board audio (which isn't bad with a remote mic.) you can monitor through headphones......and then there is the auto ramping facility for use with the on board intervalometer, sound or movement auto triggering and a shed load of other stuff including a setting called "Don't click me!", auto restart when the camera gets to its maximum video size, CPU temperature read out, auto white balance set up (very good, I've used that)....it's like a whole new camera. :-)

Must remember to load ML onto all my SD Cards now.

John Sims

Sickone
240 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 10, 2011 08:54 |  #13

Getting back to the video config i'd like one of those loupes things, constantly getting glares on the LCD which is a bit annoying. Follow focus next on the list

John ­ Sims
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 10, 2011 08:56 |  #14

Sickone wrote in post #13522546 (external link)
Getting back to the video config i'd like one of those loupes things, constantly getting glares on the LCD which is a bit annoying. Follow focus next on the list

Get one immediately. You will wonder how you ever did video without it. Good for using Live View for stills as well.

John Sims

Mr ­ Rogers
72 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 11, 2011 18:51 |  #15

I just installed magic Lantern on my T2i and i can't believe that i've been without it for this long! Coolest thing so far IMHO is the audio controls. independent right and left! The focus peaking to go with it makes this camera so much more powerful than it was.

My Gear
Video Production-John Stanford Rogers

sponsored links

3,310 views & 0 likes for this thread
DSLR Video Configuration
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.