Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Used ... What's a used "L" really worth ?

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 11, 2011 15:02 |  #16

macroimage wrote in post #13527554 (external link)
That is very nice. Being in Canada, when I order from Adorama, I don't get the free shipping offers so I pay $40-50 for shipping, HST (12% tax) on the shipping, HST on the sale price, currency exchange (near par these days but the credit card companies take a few percent anyway), a $8 handling fee from FedEx for handling the customs issues, HST on the handling fee, etc etc. After all of that, it isn't always worth it, and often is cheaper to buy from a Canadian distributor in recent months.

That's why I always buy from b&h, they use purolator for shipping, cheaper shipping and clear custom for you! Adorama uses FedEx, way more expensive!

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

sponsored links
kinyocase
151 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 11, 2011 15:05 |  #17

mdvaden wrote in post #13527470 (external link)

Tangent

Not exactly related, but maybe someone can tackle this question ... does Ebay have a function that automatically makes bid for people, to counter one I make? I bid on a lens yesterday, starting at like $600, 4 times in 2 minutes. Every time I entered the bid, a window and refresh showed the minimum bid rose. All the way to $750. So I quit. Then today, about 12 hours later, the $750 is still sitting there unchallenged.

I'm sure that when it came to this situation the guy merely had his Maximum bid set well over what you were bidding, and when you stopped outbidding him his max bid stopped as well. It's a very common thing to see on many ebay listings. I've lost a great deal of items to people who have more in their maximum than I am willing to bid.

Canon EOS 60D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS EF 70-200mm f/4L USM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,427 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 11, 2011 23:59 |  #18

kinyocase wrote in post #13528014 (external link)
I'm sure that when it came to this situation the guy merely had his Maximum bid set well over what you were bidding, and when you stopped outbidding him his max bid stopped as well. It's a very common thing to see on many ebay listings. I've lost a great deal of items to people who have more in their maximum than I am willing to bid.

Its practical in one way, but a tad bit irritating, sitting there having to keep entering bids one right after the other.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

deedub35
63 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 12, 2011 00:07 |  #19

thestone11 wrote in post #13528001 (external link)
That's why I always buy from b&h, they use purolator for shipping, cheaper shipping and clear custom for you! Adorama uses FedEx, way more expensive!

+1 ... I've placed two orders with B&H in the past couple of months. Both orders arrived in about a week. All in I saved more than enough to make it worth while than buying locally.

60D w/ BG-E9 | EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 (converted to macro) | 430EX II

nsfour
62 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 12, 2011 00:32 as a reply to  @ deedub35's post |  #20

When I first started photography, I mean "picture taking" a few years ago, friends have always told me camera lens are good investment and they maintain their value very well.

I couldn't afford very expensive gear, but I did manage to buy a couple "L" lens through the years. Recently I'm trying to sell my 70-200mm f/4 IS in 9.5/10 condition and with UW date code since I would like to take advantage of the rebate on the f2.8 IS MK2.

I listed my lens for $950, which is approx. 20% off what I paid for brand new (tax not included) but I have been receiving offers ranging from $500 to $750, which is 45% to 35% off what I paid for brand new. I know it's still better than buying a brand new car off the dealership, but I wouldn't say "good investment".

J.Doe
183 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 12, 2011 00:46 as a reply to  @ post 13527998 |  #21

Tangent

Not exactly related, but maybe someone can tackle this question ... does Ebay have a function that automatically makes bid for people, to counter one I make? I bid on a lens yesterday, starting at like $600, 4 times in 2 minutes. Every time I entered the bid, a window and refresh showed the minimum bid rose. All the way to $750. So I quit. Then today, about 12 hours later, the $750 is still sitting there unchallenged.

alann wrote in post #13527561 (external link)
Yes on the auto bid. You set your max bid and it will out bid any bid placed until it hits your max. It will then notify you and ask if you want to raise your max amount.

There are quite a lot of SW out there,generically known as "Sniper" or "Bidwatcher" wich are capable of doing the auto-bid.

60D,MKIIn,Ds MKIII __EF 50 f/1.4,EF 100 f/2.8 macro,EF 135 f/2.0L,EF 16-35 f/2.8 L II,Tamron 28-75 f/2.8,EF 70-200 f/2.8L,Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC USD ,EF 2xII TC__Marumi clear glass,UV,ND & CPL__ Kata bags__Speedlite 580EX & Metz 58 AF-2 w/Eneloops__ Sandisk __Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT & TRACKER AP-364 w/SBH-300's

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 12, 2011 00:52 |  #22

Should have asked this months ago ... but what is a used "L" lens really worth? I'd imagine that some of you who have owned them, and had some fixed, might best be able to answer this question. Personally, I don't know how much value of an L lens is salvageable, based on components that will wear out vs. those that don't.

A Craigslist ad prompted me to post this. A Canon used 35L 1.4 was advertised for $1250. A quick online search showed I could buy one today brand spanking new for as low as $1279. After a second email, I found out that the used lens was not just over a year old, but a 2005 lens bought used about a year and a half ago.

Generally, on Craigslist, it seems that used L lenses are selling just 5% or 10% below retail store cost. So what do you think sets the real value of a used L lens? Is there a length of ownership that should be considered like half-life? And would a half-life mean half price? Or do the components last so long, and repairs so cheap, that the value can remain high for a decade?

Tangent

1. A used L is worth about 80-90% of new price depending on the lens and conditions. But 80-90% is for one in good condition.

2. Yes, it is explained here. http://pages.ebay.com …uy/automatic-bidding.html (external link)

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

Bananapie
522 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 12, 2011 03:21 |  #23

Craigslist, in my experience, is filled with 10% people needing to get rid of their junk at really low prices, and 90% delusional people who think their used Macbook, iPod, Lens, or 95 Mustang is worth 98% of what they paid for it new years ago.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 12, 2011 04:45 |  #24

macroimage wrote in post #13527554 (external link)
... Being in Canada, when I order from Adorama, I don't get the free shipping offers...

We have recently agreed terms with an alternative shipping provider for our Canadian customers. However, I understand there have been problems getting the tariff calculator to integrate with our existing website. In the meantime, if you email me: Helen@adorama.com (external link) with details of what you'd like to order I can arrange a USPS shipping quote.

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 12, 2011 04:56 |  #25

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

I have a 70-200mm MkII 2.8 lens that at 14 months old needed an £700 IS barrel replacement.

I also have a 6 year old 24-70 lens with a scratch on the sensor facing lens that takes incredibly consistent sharp pictures. The age doesn't reflect the build quality or usage so value is totally subjective.

However there are folks who don't shop around before listing things or who never shopped around when they bought their lens in the first place and price it higher or equal to the new price. These will never usually sell.

Chris Giles Photography

configsys
165 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 12, 2011 06:47 |  #26

IMO, $500 is a good used price for the non-IS f/4. I would say $900-$950 is reasonable used price for the IS version. $750 or less would be a steal but I'm like you and wouldn't sell it for that price.

nsfour wrote in post #13530446 (external link)
When I first started photography, I mean "picture taking" a few years ago, friends have always told me camera lens are good investment and they maintain their value very well.

I couldn't afford very expensive gear, but I did manage to buy a couple "L" lens through the years. Recently I'm trying to sell my 70-200mm f/4 IS in 9.5/10 condition and with UW date code since I would like to take advantage of the rebate on the f2.8 IS MK2.

I listed my lens for $950, which is approx. 20% off what I paid for brand new (tax not included) but I have been receiving offers ranging from $500 to $750, which is 45% to 35% off what I paid for brand new. I know it's still better than buying a brand new car off the dealership, but I wouldn't say "good investment".

SX40 HS, XSi (gripped), 7D (gripped), EF-S 18-55mm, EF 28-135mm, EF 28-70mm 2.8L, EF 70-200mm F4L IS, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 1.4x Extender II, 430EX-II

nsfour
62 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 12, 2011 08:13 |  #27

configsys wrote in post #13531199 (external link)
IMO, $500 is a good used price for the non-IS f/4. I would say $900-$950 is reasonable used price for the IS version. $750 or less would be a steal but I'm like you and wouldn't sell it for that price.

Totally agree and i thought i listed with a reasonable price.

sponsored links

2,131 views & 0 likes for this thread
Used ... What's a used "L" really worth ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.