Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 29 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another website question.Prophoto4, zenfolio, smumug or ...?Which shall I choose?

acevesf
88 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 02, 2011 08:23 |  #16

ProPhot 4 no doubt!

sponsored links
mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 04, 2011 00:32 |  #17

aIpha wrote in post #13477864 (external link)
Your site is setup a little different. You have your TLD hosted at WiredTree running wordpress then you have a subdomain pointed to SmugMug to take advantage of their photo gallery. Or at least that is what it looks like.

That is accurate. The subdomain was customized to look like the Wordpress portions. I did it myself and did not need to pay a designer or get an approved design.

medicdude
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 04, 2011 11:59 |  #18

I've been with smugmug for three years and am in te process of switching to Zenfolio. I really like the UI and customization better. And it's cheaper!

Dustin
5D3 : Lenses : Flashes

travsirocz
189 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 12, 2011 12:18 |  #19

I use Prophoto with Wordpress on Bluehost and Smugmug as my proofing gallery and checkout. I highly recommend Prophoto.

http://www.dewitzphoto​graphy.com (external link)

Dewitz Photography | Eau Claire, WI Portrait Photographer (external link)
Commercial Photography Company | Eau Claire, WI Commercial Photographer (external link)
The Boudoir | Eau Claire, WI Boudoir Photographers (external link)
My Blaze Orange Deer Hunting Culture Book (external link)
$10 discount code for ProPhoto Photography Blog/Website (external link) TDEW2869
Travis Dewitz

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,186 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 30, 2011 07:08 |  #20

travsirocz wrote in post #13532518 (external link)
I use Prophoto with Wordpress on Bluehost and Smugmug as my proofing gallery and checkout. I highly recommend Prophoto.

dude.. nice site.. i like how it all streams together... i would not have known you had all that going on.... really nice...

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

John
Goldmember
1,405 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 30, 2011 10:18 |  #21

Very nice!

Big fan of sites like this where the photos just pops out at you and information/prices are well organized. Didn't take me long to find some prices for your service. If I were a client that is one of the top things I'd want to see. I don't like sites that say "call us for prices".

john | gear | web hosting deal for POTN members!

Joergeske
633 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 30, 2011 15:59 |  #22

Profoto offers a ton more customization, but with a ton of extra expense and a huge gap that still needs filled. Zenfolio and Smugmug allow for client ordering and access pages that are seamless and you can pick the prices and products available. You also have a ton more backend support and ease of use is unequaled. I think you will find that at somepoint you almost need both.

Personally I went the build my own site approach and could never get a result that I liked, then I tried to build a site with zenfolio as it's backend, but that failed, and now I am just using zen + a blog. Works well, but sure I would love to be able to do layouts like profoto offers, but I wouldn't give up all the free money I get from print ordering from family members and friends of my clients.

www.joergeske.com (external link)
Nikon D800, Nikon D600 x2
Nikon 14-24 2.8AF-S G, Nikon 24-70 2.8 AF-S G, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR II AF-S G, Nikon 28 1.8G, Nikon 35mm 1.4 G, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, Nikon 85 1.4G, Nikon 105 2.8 VR Micro

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,491 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 30, 2011 16:16 |  #23

I had close to zero experience with HTML/CSS when I upgraded to a Smugmug Power User account, but the folks on DGrin and the Smugmug customization examples were pretty helpful. Mines not very unique, but for a non-pro site I'm happy with the result:

http://bobanderson.smu​gmug.com/ (external link)

Now I just have to take better photos :)

Also, I'd recommend avoiding the use of Flash for your site.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 04, 2012 12:27 |  #24

I use all of them :)

prophoto4: http://torontophotogra​pher.net (external link) - My blog
zenfolio: http://clients.toronto​photographer.net (external link) - I use it for client proofing
smugmug: http://rhommelphotogra​phy.net (external link) - I don't even use this anymore.. more of a storage for me :)

IMHO, if you want to do a bit of SEO, then I would suggest on using prophoto (it's more expensive, but worth it, i think)

Don't Click This (external link)

new ­ girl ­ on ­ the ­ bloc
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 05, 2012 12:51 |  #25

the dogs on your site are beautiful; so photogenic!

Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 05, 2012 12:56 |  #26

rhommel wrote in post #13645699 (external link)
I use all of them :)

prophoto4: http://torontophotogra​pher.net (external link) - My blog
zenfolio: http://clients.toronto​photographer.net (external link) - I use it for client proofing
smugmug: http://rhommelphotogra​phy.net (external link) - I don't even use this anymore.. more of a storage for me :)

IMHO, if you want to do a bit of SEO, then I would suggest on using prophoto (it's more expensive, but worth it, i think)

the wedding photo on the beach is sexy! nice.

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 05, 2012 13:04 |  #27

Smugmug:

Pros:

Good customization.
Fairly good forum support.
Does what it claims to do.

Cons:

No printing facilities outside the US.
Won't let you change the emoticon to your own branding.
Insist on their footer on the bottom of your page.
Very poor customer service when dealing with individual problems:

I had a log in page for a client gallery that had some really messy html around it. Nothing I could change, a fault on Smugmugs end.

When I reported it, first they insisted it was a "browser issue".

Then as I pushed it, they realised that was not the case.

They then insisted that they were going to fix it "when they had time" as they had a backlog (two weeks was the estimate if memory serves).

I explained I had a corporate client using that page the next day, but that didn't seem to concern them.

It was only when I mentioned the fact that I "wouldn't be able to recommend smugmug on certain forums" that they did anything.

I think they have issues with customer service overload at times.

That was the impression I got anyway.

---------------

Conclusion:

Great product, support a little sketchy at times.

"Owning lots of expensive gear is very important. I helps those of us without talent appear as if we really know what we're doing" (Belmondo)

rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 05, 2012 13:11 |  #28

new girl on the bloc wrote in post #13651869 (external link)
the wedding photo on the beach is sexy! nice.

thanks! :)

Goldmember
1,192 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 05, 2012 13:15 |  #29

mtimber wrote in post #13651912 (external link)
Smugmug:

Pros:

Good customization.
Fairly good forum support.
Does what it claims to do.

Cons:

No printing facilities outside the US.
Won't let you change the emoticon to your own branding.
Insist on their footer on the bottom of your page.
Very poor customer service when dealing with individual problems:

I had a log in page for a client gallery that had some really messy html around it. Nothing I could change, a fault on Smugmugs end.

When I reported it, first they insisted it was a "browser issue".

Then as I pushed it, they realised that was not the case.

They then insisted that they were going to fix it "when they had time" as they had a backlog (two weeks was the estimate if memory serves).

I explained I had a corporate client using that page the next day, but that didn't seem to concern them.

It was only when I mentioned the fact that I "wouldn't be able to recommend smugmug on certain forums" that they did anything.

I think they have issues with customer service overload at times.

That was the impression I got anyway.

---------------

Conclusion:

Great product, support a little sketchy at times.

thanks for the review. sounds like i can scratch them off my list. their logo is a real turnoff too.

rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 05, 2012 13:32 as a reply to  @ new girl on the bloc's post |  #30

Here's my actual review, since I currently use all of them. I posted this on another forum

What are you going to use your website for?

- Photo Dump
- Portfolio Site
- Client Proofing
- Photo Blogging

Prophoto4
Just a note that google/search engines generally LOVE wordpress, this is your best bet if you want to do some SEO
Con: Expensive
Pros: Easily customizable, their tutorials are really good, support is also good

I have to say the Zenfolio and Smugmug are both good for either dumping your photos, or for client proofing... However:

Support - SmugMug: Champion of Customer Service
Community - SmugMug: Smugmug has dgrin.com which is VERY active
Name - Zenfolio: More professional sounding than SMUG
Admin - Zenfolio: Simpler Dashboard, Ajax technology
Themes - Zenfolio: More up to date elegant themes, Smugmug got stuck in the early 2000s

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Customization - Smugmug: Almost EVERYTHING is customazible
Pricing - Zenfolio: Cheaper
Custom permalinks - Zenfolio: Customazible permalinks. SEO Friendly

sponsored links

9,272 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another website question.Prophoto4, zenfolio, smumug or ...?Which shall I choose?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.