Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Sep 2005 (Monday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Setting Up a Small In-Home Studio on a Large Budget

khanley
191 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 12, 2011 17:33 as a reply to  @ post 13534250 |  #256

As a obsessive/compulsive equipment buyer (although I don't go to the meetings), I'm actually feel quite proud of myself for not keeping them.

Besides, more money for new backgrounds.

Kevin Hanley -Wisconsin
5DMK III, 5D MkII, 7D MK22-40D, 8-15L 16-35, 24-70L, 80-200 f2.8 IS, 100-400, 50,100L,180L Macros Tamron 150-600 Canon TC-14

sponsored links
Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 12, 2011 17:33 |  #257

kfyount wrote in post #13534250 (external link)
I've had OK luck with using a Lite-Tite (Manfrotto 026) on the extension arm. You are still limited in the swivel directions but it can usually be swivelled to a position that works. I think the double ball joint that you posted a picture of would work pretty well too, I'll try that one of these days.

I have one on the way, I'll let you know what I think of it.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

kfyount
821 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 12, 2011 17:40 |  #258

khanley wrote in post #13534359 (external link)
As a obsessive/compulsive equipment buyer (although I don't go to the meetings), I'm actually feel quite proud of myself for not keeping them.

Besides, more money for new backgrounds.

Touche! But I rationalize my equipment OCD by trolling flea-bay and picking up used manfrotto stuff for pennys on the dollar (or Euros for me). Yeah, the paint might be scraped but they last forever anyway. Also, helps to know that Multiblitz and other brands sell Manfrotto stuff rebranded with their own name. When the seller doesn't point that out, it seems there are less bidders!

Dave Jr wrote in post #13534361 (external link)
I have one on the way, I'll let you know what I think of it.

I'll look forward to hearing what you think Dave.

Kevin

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
so, what are we talking about?
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 17, 2011 17:25 |  #259

OK, I now have two Manfrotto short wall mounted boom arms on Autopoles near the backdrop area of my little studio. I got black 5mm x 16mm hex bolts (rather than those shiny ones I've seen about!) and discovered that the hex wrenches that come with the ball heads and plates from Really Right Stuff are the right size! Of course, the very last screw was trouble ... thought it was cross threaded, but it looked straight, so I forced it a bit and about half way in it smoothed right out!

I'm hosting a Gold Coast (of California) Professional Photographers Association party at my house this evening so won't have time for new pictures today.

Dwight McCann
Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 18, 2011 15:39 |  #260

DwightMcCann wrote in post #13533975 (external link)
That is a long, long defunct band, sigh. I got involved with several bands along the way and have come to realize that hobby bands are just a pain in the ass and don't give payback! I never ever got one of those personal concerts that were promised. Anyway, the only bands I shoot now are 'Pay up front!'

I thought Los Lonely Boys when I first saw it and was actually joking about the "band" funny it would be.

awesome studio

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 18, 2011 15:59 |  #261

You-by-Lou wrote in post #13564246 (external link)
I thought Los Lonely Boys when I first saw it and was actually joking about the "band" funny it would be.

awesome studio

LOL ... maybe two of those guys were OK and the others were whiners. "When are you going to take my picture ... I don't want to wear a jacket ... I want to be in front ... Are we done yet ... I don't like the way I look ... I don't like to smile" ... etc., etc., with never a please or thank you. I've done several others for various reasons and they have all been the same ... "Gimme, gimme, gimme ..." and then "Sorry, don't have time for your gig as payback." But, for the last seven plus years I have been paid a goodly amount for whatever I shoot. [Disclaimer: I still do some TF* projects, but only when it's something I'm interested in ... NOT HOBBY BANDS.]

Dwight McCann

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 22, 2011 09:38 |  #262

For some reason I got fired up to do this project a couple of nights ago. This is 17 of my 18 lenses (I have my older 24-70mm f/2.8L in to Canon for a tuneup after 7 years of use.) I really like compositing. I setup my posing table with white paper with white seamless in the background (so much easier to change background paper without the light stands!) and put the camera on a tripod and used the same lighting for all the images. I pulled all the images into PS with a 20,000 x 6,000 canvas so they are all in correct size relationship. Added the yellow gradient as it looked a bit sterile. The sixteen lenses on the left were taken with the 135mm f/2.0 (just happened to grab it) and the 135mm was taken with the 100mm f/2.8L macro. I expect to do my five bodies over the holidays. I guess I need to get a BTS image so I can post this in 'Setup/Result' thread.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dwight McCann

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 22, 2011 10:10 |  #263

Dwight, what's that ugly duckling in the middle LOL

Dave Jr - MN

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 22, 2011 10:13 |  #264

Dave Jr wrote in post #13584590 (external link)
Dwight, what's that ugly duckling in the middle LOL

That will be a 24-400 f2 when it grows up one day...

"I don't like the direction this thread is going..." (LightRules)

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 22, 2011 11:29 |  #265

I can't believe you'd make fun of my one non-L lens, sigh. Her brother at the left end may just be coming to visit you!

Dwight McCann

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 22, 2011 11:57 |  #266

DwightMcCann wrote in post #13584975 (external link)
I can't believe you'd make fun of my one non-L lens, sigh. Her brother at the left end may just be coming to visit you!

Haha, her brother at the left end is welcome to visit anytime, I'll even pay her way :lol:

Dave Jr - MN

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 22, 2011 11:58 |  #267

DwightMcCann wrote in post #13584975 (external link)

Is that a lens?

It could double up as a megaphone... :-)

What is it by the way?

"I have applied for jobs at National Geographic, Sports Illustrated and Playboy. The phone should start ringing any minute now" (Curtis N)

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 22, 2011 12:00 |  #268

Dwight, just curious why the 50/1.4 would be your only non-L lens, not happy with the focus shift on the 50/1.2L?

Dave Jr - MN

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 22, 2011 12:29 |  #269

Dave Jr wrote in post #13585142 (external link)
Dwight, just curious why the 50/1.4 would be your only non-L lens, not happy with the focus shift on the 50/1.2L?

I originally had a 50mm f/1.4. I then gave it to my son but it had focusing issues so I bought another for him while I had this one repaired. When compared to the 1.2L it was just as good with better bokeh so I've never thought again about the 1.2L.

Dwight McCann

DwightMcCann
THREAD ­ STARTER
21,400 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 22, 2011 13:10 |  #270

Since everyone is so happy with my lens collection, I just shot my body collection ... turns out I have six Canon bodies as I had forgotten about the 1V I bought used to shoot film. The two with split rings in the strap grommets (5D Mark II third from left and 1D Mark III second from right) are used for remote shooting ... the split ring is used with a safety strap ALWAYS!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dwight McCann

sponsored links

106,030 views & 0 likes for this thread
Setting Up a Small In-Home Studio on a Large Budget
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.