Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 20:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which software

Glenafton
126 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 11, 2011 20:32 |  #1

At present when I use RAW I have to post process it using Canons software. This leaves something to be desired and I need a software that will give me better results than the Canon software. What would you advise?

O/S Windows 7
Cameras EOS 550d and EOS 400d (dedicated I.R)
Photoshop CS3
Canon software

Glenafton

Camera: 5d Mkll, EOS 700d, EOS 550d, EOS 400d dedicated IR. Lenses: EF 24-70 f2.8 L. EF 70-300 f4-5.6 L IS. EF 50mm Prime f 1.4 EF 100MM F2.8 l Macro IS USM EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM and a picture of a cheese sandwich

sponsored links
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 11, 2011 21:17 |  #2

There is a wide choice of tools that allow you to convert your RAW files. Just about all of them have a trial period that you can try out before you buy. I don't belive that your camera is supported by Adobe Camera RAW but you would have the option of converting them to DNG files which can then be read by CS3. You can download the dng converter from this link on Adobe.com (external link). Otherwise you can read up on the various programs that are available by searching RAW converters. My preferred RAW converter is Capture One Pro but it doesn't come cheap.

Quite honestly you should be able to get stellar results from Canon's DPP. How long have you been working at this. Canon has a good amount of information on their RAW technology and DPP on their digital learning center (external link). If you aren't getting the results you desire from DPP you may not get it from other programs. I think that it is best to pick a program and stick with it until you learn it.

The internet has a wealth of information on converting your images. I could list every possible program but that would be of little value at this point. The common answer on here seems to be to get Lightroom and no doubt that it is good but I wouldn't buy it only for its RAW converter. It shares the same RAW engine with Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) and that is free in photoshop but it doesn't have some of the database functionality that LR does along with the other modules that LR also has. Are you planning on upgrading your version of Photoshop or sticking with CS3. Don't forget about Adobe's new upgrade policy in that if you don't upgrade now you will have to pay full price in the future.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2011 01:52 |  #3

The Canon software DPP is the best converter of Canon raw files there is. But Photoshop ACR does allow more tweaking. If you want something that does it all and doesn't cost the earth try DxO on trial for 30 days and see what happens.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 13, 2011 02:32 |  #4

MGiddings Photography wrote in post #13536656 (external link)
The Canon software DPP is the best converter of Canon raw files there is. But Photoshop ACR does allow more tweaking. If you want something that does it all and doesn't cost the earth try DxO on trial for 30 days and see what happens.

I think it's fair to suggest that DPP is the best quick converter. I use it for that, but I use Lightroom (equivalent to ACR) for my "serious" conversions because of the range of tools that to me gives more capabilities. But I'm still a fan of DPP!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cruleworld
330 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 13, 2011 02:42 |  #5

Lightroom is my go to tool for everything these days. Love it!

JOSH SORENSON|MY SITE (external link)

rh18
180 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2011

Dec 13, 2011 09:05 |  #6

Lightroom is a really nice piece of software for this. Download the trial to play around with and keep an eye on the Market Watch forum for deals. It goes on sale for $149 quite a bit (sometimes lower).

Check out http://www.slrlounge.c​om/ (external link) or Adobe TV (external link) (specifically the videos by Julieanne Kost) for some great getting started videos.

Gear and Feedback | flickr (external link)

Q-Man
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2011 17:59 |  #7

LR3 for almost everything I'm doing. I've got CS5, but hardly use it currently.

6D | 7D MkII | 16-35 f4L | 35 f1.2L II | 135 f2L | 180 f3.5L | 400 f5.6L
breathephoto (external link)

sponsored links

922 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which software
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.