Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Dec 2011 (Monday) 06:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Use Manual Setting ALL The Time: Am I alone?

lungdoc
Goldmember
2,101 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 13, 2011 11:47 |  #121

uneek78 wrote in post #13538219 (external link)
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! With one thread huh!?! Lol!!!! Is dpreview suppose to be a pretty good forum?

Unfortunately, no, it's referring to sinking to their level, not rising to it.

Mark
My Smugmug (external link) Eos 7D, Canon G1X II, Canon 15-85 IS, Canon 17-85 IS, Sigma 100-300 EX IF HSM, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 50-150 2.8, Sigma 1.4 EX DG , Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22, Canon 430EX,

sponsored links
uneek78
THREAD ­ STARTER
340 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 13, 2011 11:49 |  #122

lungdoc wrote in post #13538247 (external link)
Unfortunately, no, it's referring to sinking to their level, not rising to it.

Even funnier!

Gerard Payne | www.gerardpayne.com (external link)
Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 24-105L |Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 13, 2011 12:00 |  #123

lacksfocus............​...what!!!!!
I totally enjoy your sense of humour.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 13, 2011 12:00 |  #124

God I love POTN...........oh wait....should I say like higher power or God of one's understanding?

Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 13, 2011 12:07 |  #125

Suddie1215 wrote in post #13538036 (external link)
DAMphyne wrote in post #13537925 (external link)
It was a "Manual Purist" that called everybody else Stupid. Maybe you got the sides mixed up?

I don't recall seeing that statement but if it was made nothing that has been subsequently said disproves that claim.

Thanks for proving my point. Why do you care how anyone else shoots.

More to the point, why do you care so much? Going by your first comment above, in response to the "everybody who doesn't shoot M is stupid" comment, we can assume that you feel the same way. How can you say that nothing has been said to disprove that?

The only people on the defensive in this thread are some of those, like yourself, who only use M and those are the ones throwing terms like "stupid" around. Those of us who use Av and Tv, along with M, have simply explained why we do so and answered questions about how it gives just as much control over the camera settings as M. If you had bothered to read the thread you might have seen how Av / Tv modes allow you to choose your settings, adjust exposure levels away from the metered reading and also switch your preferred parameter in the case of a sudden change in lighting, in exactly the way you would do yourself in M but quicker and without taking your attention away from the action.

None of "us" have attacked the M purists, most of us use M a lot of the time anyway, but will also use Av or Tv when conditions make it a better option (in our opinion). Not everybody shoots in those conditions, with fast action that doesn't allow time for fiddling with exposure changes every minute or so, and so full time M is, of course, a perfectly good option for them.

Using all the creative tools on the camera, whilst still maintaining full control over settings and exposure is not "stupid", it is just choosing to use more of the available tools than you do. Your way is not wrong, "our" way is not stupid.

I personally find that when a discussion boils down to one side giving reasonable explanations and the other side going "yeah, but your stupid for not doing it our way" rather than giving a reasoned, rational reply, then the side resorting to name calling is usually the one with the weaker argument.

Personally, I have no issue with manual only users, I use manual myself quite a lot of the time (depending on what I am shooting). I choose to also use Av and Tv when I feel that they are more suitable for the scenario I am shooting in, but that is simply my choice and does not make me right, wrong - or stupid. Most Av / Tv users in this thread, also use M when they feel it is more appropriate.

By all means feel free to come up with some reasoned response as to why we are stupid, I would love to know. If you can't, then please refrain from simply using the tactics of a 6 year old, trying to win an argument by name calling.

TangentZ
73 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 13, 2011 12:56 |  #126

I use P when I just need some kind of quick snapshots and/or using ETTL flash.

I use Av for outside portraits where I care more about the DOF and the lighting conditions are always changing.

I use Tv for events where I care more about non-blurry photos and the subjects are moving.

I use M for inside studio shoots where the lights are under total control and never change.

Equipment: 450D, 60D, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Sigma AF 50-150mm f/2.8 APO EX DC OS HSM, 430EX II x 3, Light Stand x 3, Photoflex 45" Umbrella x 2, Firefly Beauty Box 26", Yongnuo RF-603C x 4
Sites: Model Mayhem (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | 500px (external link) | Recent Work (2013) (external link)

tdon187
91 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 13, 2011 13:14 |  #127

The best mode is the one that gets the shot

Canon 60D | Canon 15-85mm IS | Canon 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70-300mm DI VC USD | 430 EX II
flickr (external link)

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 13, 2011 13:25 |  #128

ching wrote in post #13538780 (external link)
I put the dial in-between M and Av...it gives me full control exactly half the time!

that used to work with the old Stratocasters before they changed from the three way to the five way switch

Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

Amateur_1077
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 13, 2011 13:39 |  #129

tdon187 wrote in post #13538749 (external link)
The best mode is the one that gets the shot

Amen

Jamian
918 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2011 13:52 |  #130

When are you going to realize your logical, well-reasoned arguments aren't wanted here!? ;)

Great post BTW.

sandpiper wrote in post #13538372 (external link)
More to the point, why do you care so much? Going by your first comment above, in response to the "everybody who doesn't shoot M is stupid" comment, we can assume that you feel the same way. How can you say that nothing has been said to disprove that?

The only people on the defensive in this thread are some of those, like yourself, who only use M and those are the ones throwing terms like "stupid" around. Those of us who use Av and Tv, along with M, have simply explained why we do so and answered questions about how it gives just as much control over the camera settings as M. If you had bothered to read the thread you might have seen how Av / Tv modes allow you to choose your settings, adjust exposure levels away from the metered reading and also switch your preferred parameter in the case of a sudden change in lighting, in exactly the way you would do yourself in M but quicker and without taking your attention away from the action.

None of "us" have attacked the M purists, most of us use M a lot of the time anyway, but will also use Av or Tv when conditions make it a better option (in our opinion). Not everybody shoots in those conditions, with fast action that doesn't allow time for fiddling with exposure changes every minute or so, and so full time M is, of course, a perfectly good option for them.

Using all the creative tools on the camera, whilst still maintaining full control over settings and exposure is not "stupid", it is just choosing to use more of the available tools than you do. Your way is not wrong, "our" way is not stupid.

I personally find that when a discussion boils down to one side giving reasonable explanations and the other side going "yeah, but your stupid for not doing it our way" rather than giving a reasoned, rational reply, then the side resorting to name calling is usually the one with the weaker argument.

Personally, I have no issue with manual only users, I use manual myself quite a lot of the time (depending on what I am shooting). I choose to also use Av and Tv when I feel that they are more suitable for the scenario I am shooting in, but that is simply my choice and does not make me right, wrong - or stupid. Most Av / Tv users in this thread, also use M when they feel it is more appropriate.

By all means feel free to come up with some reasoned response as to why we are stupid, I would love to know. If you can't, then please refrain from simply using the tactics of a 6 year old, trying to win an argument by name calling.

Jay
500px (external link) | Gear
"It's not what you see, but how you see it."

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 13, 2011 15:31 |  #131

Suddie1215 wrote in post #13538036 (external link)
I don't recall seeing that statement but if it was made nothing that has been subsequently said disproves that claim.

It always helps to read the text in a thread. That statement was quoted 2 times and you still didn't see it?
The content of your post proves that.
Perhaps you can point out where I dissed 'Manual only' shooters. If you can't, then I'll put you in the same round file that know-it-alls belong.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 13, 2011 18:13 |  #132

Todd Lambert wrote in post #13533783 (external link)
I'm so cool that I only shoot in Bulb.

I don't like the camera controlling me and I like being able to choose 31.63 seconds of exposure when I need it.

;-)a

I lolled.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

StarTzar
426 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 13, 2011 18:43 |  #133

Preeb wrote in post #13532606 (external link)
I don't use M very much. I suppose that I should try, since it isn't that difficult unless the light is changing a lot, but I haven't found a real need for it yet. Av And Tv seem cover most of my shooting needs. When I need a little compensation, then the camera has that too, without switching to manual. It was easier overall on my old Minolta SRT-102; I'd love to have that simple match needle system available as a mode in a dSLR.

My problem with my T1i is that the viewfinder display simply won't stay powered for more than about 5 seconds when I take my finger off the shutter. I can't find any setting to change that either. Lots of settings for the LCD display, but nothing for the viewfinder.

The Minolta SRT-102..... That was my favorite.

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 13, 2011 18:46 |  #134

Suddie1215 wrote in post #13537902 (external link)
I've always thought that atheists and animal rights people were two of the most obnoxious groups of people I could ever encounter.

Atheists obnoxious? We don't go around knocking on people's doors, or happily tell people how we're "saved" now.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

StarTzar
426 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 13, 2011 19:05 |  #135

Tiberius47 wrote in post #13540479 (external link)
Atheists obnoxious? We don't go around knocking on people's doors, or happily tell people how we're "saved" now.

bw!

Bwhahahahahahahahahaha​h LOLOLOLOLOL.......

sponsored links

23,240 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Use Manual Setting ALL The Time: Am I alone?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.