Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 12 Dec 2011 (Monday) 08:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High School Swim Team

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 13, 2011 08:31 |  #16

I don't see how your processing improves on what was originally posted. You just can't add Gaussian Blur to skin textures and make it look natural.

blurry_image wrote in post #13535355 (external link)
Don't know - might be better to keep some of his blemishes in there? He knows he has them but why take them all out and super blur his face you know? Maybe something like this? Or not, this is a tricky subject for sure...

Gear List

sponsored links
blurry_image
473 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 13, 2011 09:36 |  #17

PixelMagic wrote in post #13537418 (external link)
I don't see how your processing improves on what was originally posted. You just can't add Gaussian Blur to skin textures and make it look natural.

LOL @ gaussian blur - please.

1. My comments were based off of what was posted. Number 5 (in the original post) looks like an off white paint brush was brushed across the kid's face.

2. I would never use gaussian blur and paint over with a mask to fix what I "fixed". My edit was based off a 600 by 800 image - his obviously wasn't. His was "A LOT" of work, mine was 5 minutes tops.

3. I still think something should be left from his blemishes as this kid knows he doesn't have perfect skin and stuff like that leads to other kids doing the nudge and wink or worse when looking at his pics. That being said, if it was discussed beforehand then that is different. Hence my comment it is a tricky situation when dealing with skin like that.

4. I like the desaturated high contrast look for male athletes, but maybe the treatment should look consistent amongst all the male teammates?

Anyway, it was a comment and question on how the kid's face really looks and I took the time to provide an example of what I meant. Feel free to do better.

PS - Even some of the skin on the zoom still looks blurred a bit imo (from lips up to nose on the sides of the mouth) Still a big improvement though to be sure.

---------------
Chris

checkgio
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 13, 2011 09:44 |  #18

Thanks for all the comments and advise everyone. I will definitely take everything into consideration about the skin retouch. In this case, it was discussed before with the student and he said he wanted no acne. I agree that #5 looks different from the rest, but I liked the look for that particular image and since these images won't all be displayed together, I didn't think they all needed to look exactly the same. Each student will only see their pictures in their gallery. If they decide they want to display them all together then I will definitely make them uniform. Thanks again everyone, this place is always a lot of help and has definitely helped me learn a lot.

www.glophotography.net (external link)

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 13, 2011 10:23 |  #19

I guess you couldn't leave well enough alone.

Its irrelevant that you worked from a low resolution image; what you did wasn't an improvement. You gave the subject almost a unibrow and introduced huge dark shadows along his jawline and under his chin.

blurry_image wrote in post #13537658 (external link)
LOL @ gaussian blur - please.

1. My comments were based off of what was posted. Number 5 (in the original post) looks like an off white paint brush was brushed across the kid's face.

2. I would never use gaussian blur and paint over with a mask to fix what I "fixed". My edit was based off a 600 by 800 image - his obviously wasn't. His was "A LOT" of work, mine was 5 minutes tops.

3. I still think something should be left from his blemishes as this kid knows he doesn't have perfect skin and stuff like that leads to other kids doing the nudge and wink or worse when looking at his pics. That being said, if it was discussed beforehand then that is different. Hence my comment it is a tricky situation when dealing with skin like that.

4. I like the desaturated high contrast look for male athletes, but maybe the treatment should look consistent amongst all the male teammates?

Anyway, it was a comment and question on how the kid's face really looks and I took the time to provide an example of what I meant. Feel free to do better.

PS - Even some of the skin on the zoom still looks blurred a bit imo (from lips up to nose on the sides of the mouth) Still a big improvement though to be sure.

Gear List

blurry_image
473 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 13, 2011 11:28 |  #20

PixelMagic wrote in post #13537877 (external link)
I guess you couldn't leave well enough alone.

Its irrelevant that you worked from a low resolution image; what you did wasn't an improvement. You gave the subject almost a unibrow and introduced huge dark shadows along his jawline and under his chin.

Your opinion.

I gave him a unibrow from original picture? I don't think so. I introduced huge dark shadows compared to original image? Might be slightly darker but not huge. Move on troll or post your masterpiece.

Once again for the reading comprehension challenged (you) - my comment was to the OP about taking away all of the blemishes to the point where it was no longer the same person and whether or not it might be better to leave some there for reality purposes. I posted an example to show rather than just type words (like you) Oh, and I like my edit better for his face knowing I would want to keep it semi real per my original comment/question. You might disagree but I don't care. Still waiting to see what you can do in 5 mins.

Move on troll. OP stated subject wanted all of the blemishes gone and OP and I are finished with discussion. Go away lol

---------------
Chris

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 13, 2011 12:18 |  #21

Hopefully some day you'll contribute to these forums enough to rise to the level of a troll.

blurry_image wrote in post #13538146 (external link)
Your opinion.

I gave him a unibrow from original picture? I don't think so. I introduced huge dark shadows compared to original image? Might be slightly darker but not huge. Move on troll or post your masterpiece.

Once again for the reading comprehension challenged (you) - my comment was to the OP about taking away all of the blemishes to the point where it was no longer the same person and whether or not it might be better to leave some there for reality purposes. I posted an example to show rather than just type words (like you) Oh, and I like my edit better for his face knowing I would want to keep it semi real per my original comment/question. You might disagree but I don't care. Still waiting to see what you can do in 5 mins.

Move on troll. OP stated subject wanted all of the blemishes gone and OP and I are finished with discussion. Go away lol

Gear List

blurry_image
473 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 13, 2011 13:29 |  #22

PixelMagic wrote in post #13538441 (external link)
Hopefully some day you'll contribute to these forums enough to rise to the level of a troll.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=13332025&po​stcount=33

---------------
Chris

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 13, 2011 21:44 |  #23

A suggestion for the future. Get a medium piece of black velvet to throw in your bag. In situations like this where your intention is to end with a solid black background, hang it behind their head so at least you have that part already black. It will save a ton of editing time and make the hair look cleaner if you only have to mask around shoulders, etc.

Nice work especially given the amount of post work you had to do.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

checkgio
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 14, 2011 07:31 |  #24

Big K wrote in post #13541464 (external link)
A suggestion for the future. Get a medium piece of black velvet to throw in your bag. In situations like this where your intention is to end with a solid black background, hang it behind their head so at least you have that part already black. It will save a ton of editing time and make the hair look cleaner if you only have to mask around shoulders, etc.

Nice work especially given the amount of post work you had to do.

That's something I'll definitely do if I have to do something like this again. These would've been very quick edits had it not been for needing to remove the background.

www.glophotography.net (external link)

fleishelja
176 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 18, 2011 22:59 |  #25

these pics are dramatic and freakin awesome, thats some kickass work right there :)

I <3 My Canon :)
www.jamesfleishel.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,796 views & 0 likes for this thread
High School Swim Team
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.