Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 17:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking to upgrade; is a 40D a good choice?

clhowley
26 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 13, 2011 17:17 |  #1

My husband and I enjoy photography as a hobby with occasional occupational use (he's a tech director for our church, I'm a makeup artist). I come from a film background, using an old Canon A-1, and my husband's had a Rebel xt for 5 years. We are ready to upgrade, but we're still on a tight budget. We can't afford to spend $800+ on a body alone, have no real use for video, and have the opportunity to buy a used 40D for a fair price.

Is this a worthwhile hold-over until we can afford to upgrade to a full-frame body? Thoughts?

Crystal-Lee Howley
makeup artist, gripped Canon 5D, EF 50mm f/1.8
http://www.clhowley.co​m (external link)

sponsored links
simar
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 13, 2011 17:27 |  #2

its a great body, but for the price i'd also look at the t3i :)

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 13, 2011 18:10 |  #3

I would always pick a 40D over a T2i if you're not interested in video.

I absolutely LOVE my 40D. It's cheap, it's simple, it has super nice ergonomics and it does what it has to do. I don't know how much of an upgrade the 40D over a XT would be, but I'd highly recommend a 40D.

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Dec 13, 2011 18:27 as a reply to  @ TijmenDal's post |  #4

Whats a fair price?

For a casual user the rebel line is acceptable--but the 40D is my camera of choice due to the AF speed and control system.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

SethDuBois
718 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 13, 2011 18:29 |  #5

I can't attest to any other DSLR as the 40D is my first but I'm very, very satisfied.

Gear & Feedback|Flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|Facebook (external link)
www.sethdubois.com (external link)

timberlandlh
450 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 13, 2011 20:36 |  #6

A 40D here in Michigan can be purchased for $40, body only on craigs list. If you can purchase for that range, yes, it will make a great camera body. You'll be able to sell the 40 when you want to upgrade to a 50 or 7d in the future. The rebel cameras take a while sometimes to sell.

Canon S100 and Canon 7D, Canon 28-300L 3.5/5.6 IS, Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS, Canon 10-22 I'll give it a lil "l", Canon 50 1.8, LEE 10X Filter, Benro Travel Angel A-169....REI back pack, hiking boots and a photogenic black labrador

GPK110
32 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 13, 2011 21:27 as a reply to  @ timberlandlh's post |  #7

I like the feel of the all metal body and controls on the 40D alot, but, it was my first Canon body. FWIW I used a grip on mine most of the time, it felt a bit small in my hands...the rebels etc. felt like toys. Maybe check the shutter count if you can, they are tough cameras in my experience. Enjoy it!

IdiotsAbound
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 13, 2011 21:56 |  #8

timberlandlh wrote in post #13541100 (external link)
A 40D here in Michigan can be purchased for $40, body only on craigs list. If you can purchase for that range, yes, it will make a great camera body. You'll be able to sell the 40 when you want to upgrade to a 50 or 7d in the future. The rebel cameras take a while sometimes to sell.

$40??

SaxonIV
768 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 13, 2011 22:01 |  #9

I shot a 40D, and I honestly think I'll get another. It's such a great body and it fills the needs of any photographer. My thoughts are if you can't do it with a 40D, you need faster glass :)

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2011 22:02 as a reply to  @ IdiotsAbound's post |  #10

If you can get a 40d for $40 I will take 3.

My Flickr (external link)

Revo
439 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2011 22:13 |  #11

I rarely use video so not having it would not bother me, so that puts me in similar situation as you in that sense.

That said, unless I could spring for a 7D, I'd be buying a 40D. It's a fantastic feature set for the price.

Getting a 50D over the 40D gains you micro adjust, but you sacrifice image quality and FPS. Getting a 60D loses you the magnesium body, FPS, and CF cards and doesn't even have micro adjust (step back from the 50D). All the comparable rebels in that price range (T2i/T3i) only gain you some megapixels at a loss of the nice pro layout with the thumbwheel as well as general build quality.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 7D | Canon G11
24-105L| 70-200L IS II | 2x III Extender | Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
Full Gear List | Feedback

Revo
439 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2011 22:14 |  #12

More than likely the above user meant a 40D can be had for $400, which is close to what the forum prices are currently at.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 7D | Canon G11
24-105L| 70-200L IS II | 2x III Extender | Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 OS HSM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II
Full Gear List | Feedback

dougy_8505
187 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 13, 2011 22:17 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

I have 3 canons
Xti - which is nice but my wife and i let our 11yr old daughter use it to learn how to take photos

T1i - my wife use this for her photos, and i use it for shoots and other stationary / slow moving photos.. I feel that the 3.4 fps just doesnt cut the mustard for action/sports photos

40D - this is my main all around camera, since im not a pro. and dont charge for the photos i have shot. I use this for paintball photography because the 6.5 fps allows me to catch alot more shots i would miss with the T1i. While this camera is only 10mp it still shoots pictures just as amazing as the T1i.

I personally feel that the MP of a camera doesnt matter. to me MPs come into play when your cropping pictures, but i could be wrong since i very rarely crop pictures.

When i bought my 40D i only had enough cash for the body but if you have the money for a T2i/T3i, I'd buy the 40d and use the money you saved to buy an L lense..

Watch this video, it helped me make my choice on body's... http://youtu.be/hk5IMm​EDWH4 (external link)

Bodies: Sony A6000, T3i and Xti(needs repairs, but use in manual)
Lenes: Sony 16-50(kit), Canon 50 F1.8, Sigma 24-70 F2.8-4, Canon 70-210 F4, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 75-300, and Canon 18-55(auto focus is broken so I use it on the Xti)
Flash: 430ex

windpig
Chopped liver
14,917 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 13, 2011 22:24 |  #14

I've had 2 - 40D's, 1 7D and a 5DII. I now have 1 - 40D and a 5DII. 40D is a great body, I'll not get rid of the one I have. To me, it has a much nicer feel than the Rebel line. I think $400 would be a good ball park number.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 13, 2011 22:43 as a reply to  @ windpig's post |  #15

I had a 30d and loved it but got a good deal at Christmas time last year for a virtually new 40d and upgraded to that.

The 40d is a great camera, fast fps, with some excellent features. I couldn't be happier........

Good luck

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links

4,327 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking to upgrade; is a 40D a good choice?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.