Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 12 Dec 2011 (Monday) 17:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 12, 2011 17:27 |  #1

I was not sure where to post this so I thought I'd try here since this is wedding related. I just finished Syl Arena's Speedlighters Handbook. A very well written book. I was pleasantly surprised that there was not much I was not aware of. There are lot of descriptions of modifiers from on camera to off, flash types, stands, etc. Also a lot of great information of placement of light for effect. It will be a very good reference for me. I should have purchased it long ago. I know there is a big difference between knowledge and application.

So I'm trying to figure what else I can do arm myself to be ready for each situation I will encounter. Also I study the work of the regular wedding photog contributors here and you all have this glow to your images I can't really can't describe in any other way. That was the reason I'm thinking exposure is next to tackle.

I'm well aware that tar and snow are going to be 18% grey, placement of people on a sunny day and metering off the sky. What to do with a bright background indoors when using flash. The book has to be more than 12 pages long :) I have read very good things about it. I am no expert but not a novice either. I may be incorrect about that. It is not that expensive but I was just wondering if there was something else that may be more suited to what I'm looking for at this time.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 14, 2011 02:53 |  #2

digital paradise wrote in post #13534305 (external link)
I'm well aware that tar and snow are going to be 18% grey

You need the book for this reason alone as you are completely incorrect. ;)

Chris Giles Photography

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2011 04:32 |  #3

Well let me reword that. If I take take an image of black pavement and don't compensate for what the meter tells me it ain't gonna be black. Better? :D

Image Editing OK

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 14, 2011 05:02 |  #4

Have you checked out Joe McNally's "Hotshoe Diaries?"

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2011 05:28 |  #5

No I have not. Does he get fairly deep into exposure? I'm looking for what to meter off while looking at a particular situation. This the next thing I really want to delve into.

Image Editing OK

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 14, 2011 05:41 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #6

Do some reading about the Zone System and then read this POTN (HAMSTTR) thread.

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2011 06:26 |  #7

I will check it out thanks. I read all of Ansel's books and shot with a 4 by 5 field camera in the late 80's. I'll see how similar it is.

Image Editing OK

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 14, 2011 08:42 |  #8

Digital Paradise, when you say "glow" do you mean things like this? (If so very happy to tell you how to get the glow, if it is what you mean):

IMAGE: http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v12/p423838316-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v35/p36551258-4.jpg

Or something like this?

IMAGE: http://dawei.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v30/p80637793.jpg

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 14, 2011 08:59 as a reply to  @ smorter's post |  #9

I will probably get lit up for this but i never get why people say that petersons book is such a great book about exposure. I have it. Dont think its all that good.

Exposure is not that hard to learn. Any basic photography book telling you what happens when you go from F/2.8 to F/22 will let you know whats gonna happen when you start adjusting the F/stops.

Give someone an old rebel with a CF card, put it in Manual mode and tell them to line the needle up and watch what happens to the numbers when you move the f/stop. have them move the needle up and down and watch what happens to ther image in the viewfinder. Tell then to raise the iso and watch what happens to the numbers. Watch the viewfinder is look what is happening to your picture when you move these settings. After about 20 minutes you will have a prety good clue about what exposure is and how you might affect it with shutter speed and ISO. Im a hands on visual guy so that makes much more sense than reading a book about working bees and such.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 14, 2011 09:52 |  #10

digital paradise wrote in post #13542614 (external link)
Well let me reword that. If I take take an image of black pavement and don't compensate for what the meter tells me it ain't gonna be black. Better? :D

Yep, much, sorry. I knew what you meant really ;)

What is this 'Glow' of which you speak?

Chris Giles Photography

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2011 09:54 |  #11

smorter wrote in post #13543176 (external link)
Digital Paradise, when you say "glow" do you mean things like this? (If so very happy to tell you how to get the glow, if it is what you mean):

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Or something like this?

QUOTED IMAGE

Like #3

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2011 09:56 |  #12

Gel wrote in post #13543459 (external link)
Yep, much, sorry. I knew what you meant really ;)

What is this 'Glow' of which you speak?

I figured you did. Not need to apologize. I'll look for some examples.

If you scroll down these images. Obviously the lighting method makes a difference but exposure is important as well. Perhaps I am over thinking it.

http://www.flickr.com …/in/set-72157623250983108 (external link)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2011 09:58 |  #13

umphotography wrote in post #13543245 (external link)
I will probably get lit up for this but i never get why people say that petersons book is such a great book about exposure. I have it. Dont think its all that good.

Exposure is not that hard to learn. Any basic photography book telling you what happens when you go from F/2.8 to F/22 will let you know whats gonna happen when you start adjusting the F/stops.

Give someone an old rebel with a CF card, put it in Manual mode and tell them to line the needle up and watch what happens to the numbers when you move the f/stop. have them move the needle up and down and watch what happens to ther image in the viewfinder. Tell then to raise the iso and watch what happens to the numbers. Watch the viewfinder is look what is happening to your picture when you move these settings. After about 20 minutes you will have a prety good clue about what exposure is and how you might affect it with shutter speed and ISO. Im a hands on visual guy so that makes much more sense than reading a book about working bees and such.

Thanks for the reply and your honest opinion. I'm looking for more than that. Looks like I just need to apply and practise.

Image Editing OK

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 14, 2011 10:14 |  #14

I read that book and it was moderately useful, but I learned more by just going out there and shooting and understanding why things ended up looking the way they did when I either hit it out of the park or swung and whiffed.

I think the most common mistake folks initially make is thinking that getting that needle to the middle is the answer. It's not. No matter which mode you are using, if you do that, then you are shooting in Automatic mode. Also, I see a lot of people worrying too much about blowing out highlights, not shooting into the sun, and following other rules to the letter. These will only limit you. Yes, understand the rules, but also know that rules are meant to be broken.

But honestly, just go out there and shoot and learn from your mistakes. All that talk about "glow" should be secondary if you are still concerned about exposure. A lot of that would be DOF manipulation or post processing.

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
14,948 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 14, 2011 10:27 |  #15

nicksan wrote in post #13543577 (external link)
I read that book and it was moderately useful, but I learned more by just going out there and shooting and understanding why things ended up looking the way they did when I either hit it out of the park or swung and whiffed.

I think the most common mistake folks initially make is thinking that getting that needle to the middle is the answer. It's not. No matter which mode you are using, if you do that, then you are shooting in Automatic mode. Also, I see a lot of people worrying too much about blowing out highlights, not shooting into the sun, and following other rules to the letter. These will only limit you. Yes, understand the rules, but also know that rules are meant to be broken.

But honestly, just go out there and shoot and learn from your mistakes. All that talk about "glow" should be secondary if you are still concerned about exposure. A lot of that would be DOF manipulation or post processing.

That is what I'm trying to change. I rely too much on the meter in the middle in the overall exposure which I know is not the best approach. Most of the time I'm in evaluative which does OK not great for the most part and I will compensate as required to stay within the rules boundaries. Just looking to take that up a notch. I am overly concerned about blowing highlights. Seems like I just need to get a little more creative and bend those rules. I've said before first you learn the rules then you learn to break them.

Thanks.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

3,450 views & 0 likes for this thread
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.