Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 01 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 21:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So I never considered the possibility that clients wouldn't come..

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 13, 2011 15:07 |  #196
bannedPermanent ban

I'm kinda curious about mellofelo (or hower you say it)'s post..am I really that bad? At the beginning of the thread I remember people commenting saying my work was pretty good, as far as I know they had no reason to lie to me..

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

sponsored links
mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 13, 2011 15:17 |  #197

no, you aren't that bad at all, your pictures just dont jump off the page as anything unique, in my opinion. don't think of this as a bad thing - you're very young and it's common to not have a style at this point.

you've got to find your own style and niche.

someone should be able to look at that and say "that's a shadowonthedoor."

i know when i look at a chase jarvis or joe mcnally shot, i instantly know. they have unique styles. they are very successful. strive to be like that.

like i said before, i can think of 3 or 4 photographers on this board who do that. pham, airfrogusmc, nustyR and FlyingPhotog are the ones that come to mind (plus some more in the architectural thread but that's because we all know eachothers work like the back of our hands)

there could be more, i generally stay out of the 'people' sharing sections, but you get my drift. it's rare and it's hard.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 13, 2011 15:26 |  #198
bannedPermanent ban

I absolutely agree, I will whole heartedly admit that I've had a lot of trouble finding out what my style is, or even how to have a style, or know when I do..I mean, I have a style for handwriting obviously, as well as design work, but I have no idea when or how I actually developed those styles, I don't remember ever looking down and saying "there's my style"..seems like something that happens subconsciously.

k-style
"I get it now...... Or do I?"
1,497 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 13, 2011 16:11 |  #199

you are only 19 man....you are speeding through this process....just enjoy your gear and stop worrying about making money, it'll take the fun out of shooting before you even start....your work is alright, nothing spectacular, but definitely not bad....you have good gear, you just need patience.

"You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate candy bar."
-George Carlin-
My Blog! (external link)
| Canon 5DMKII | Nikon D700 | Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 | Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 | Nikkor 105 f2.8 micro | Sigma 15mm f2.8 | 135L f2.0 | 50L f1.2 | 35L f1.4 | 24LII f1.4 | 580EXII | sb-900

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 13, 2011 16:16 |  #200
bannedPermanent ban

I find little fun in just shooting for the sake of shooting, the goal of being a big name professional is what I find exciting, that might sound a bit weird, but the best feeling ever is getting an email saying "we want to hire you", I really miss that feeling since I stopped shooting sports, I had a style when I did that, I just can't seem to find it in my portrait work yet with so many different faces and environments.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2011 17:02 |  #201

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13539679 (external link)
I find little fun in just shooting for the sake of shooting, the goal of being a big name professional is what I find exciting, that might sound a bit weird, but the best feeling ever is getting an email saying "we want to hire you", I really miss that feeling since I stopped shooting sports, I had a style when I did that, I just can't seem to find it in my portrait work yet with so many different faces and environments.

I'm not sure if that means we've all been wasting our time or what! Making a living at photography, like most professions, is hard work. To set out into that profession without a passion for it seems incomprehensible to me.

Sure, shooting for the sake of shooting is a negative concept, but what about shooting for the love of creating, for the sake of improving your craft, for the sake of learning new processes?

Sure there will be times, if you ever achieve your goal of being a "working photographer" that photographing for pleasure may wear a bit thin, and you may rather walk the dog or read a book or whatever takes your fancy, but right at the moment, when you don't have clients beating a path to your door, for heaven's sake get out there and practice.

I know some "big name professionals" as you call them...one of whom is a countryman of yours, and who is paid huge amounts of money to fly to various parts of the world...without exception they have arrived at their success by working, not by wanting!

Growing old disgracefully!

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 13, 2011 17:53 |  #202
bannedPermanent ban

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing something I imagined show up on the screen and knowing that that work that people love was something I did, but I cant see myself as a hobbyist in this industry.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 13, 2011 18:40 |  #203

You're not going to become a big name just by fantasizing. Heck you may not become a big name even with hard work. There's a lot of luck involved in finding the people who have tons of money to blow.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 13, 2011 18:41 |  #204
bannedPermanent ban

I won't become a big name by not trying to, either.

k-style
"I get it now...... Or do I?"
1,497 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 13, 2011 18:59 |  #205

Oh to be young...I'm done here...good luck

"You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate candy bar."
-George Carlin-
My Blog! (external link)
| Canon 5DMKII | Nikon D700 | Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 | Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 | Nikkor 105 f2.8 micro | Sigma 15mm f2.8 | 135L f2.0 | 50L f1.2 | 35L f1.4 | 24LII f1.4 | 580EXII | sb-900

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 14, 2011 01:32 |  #206

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13539679 (external link)

You've said this numerous times throughout this thread and it's what bothers me the most. If you don't love shooting just for shooting's sake, money isn't going to change that. At the end of the day, you either love it or you don't. There's a saying that applies here, "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life." If you don't love it unless money is involved, that's not love to begin with.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 14, 2011 01:42 |  #207

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13540449 (external link)
I won't become a big name by not trying to, either.

Don't under-estimate the value of this opportunity. You've got youth, health, and energy and there's a pretty good chance you'll never be in this position again. Work hard, take risks, and keep at it until something clicks. (Incidentally, when I say "take risks" I do NOT mean you should borrow money.) At your age, clients will be much more tolerant of your mistakes and supportive of your goals but five years from now they'll just wonder what's taking you so long to get going.

When I was your age things were different. I choose my school and schedule based on maximum skiing days and my degree was all I needed to get a good job. But times have changed and employers no longer have slots to fill with whoever comes along.

The best case would be to work full time at developing your business as you go to school full time and graduate in four years. (Almost all of my successful friends worked full time while going to school.) Those four years of extremely hard work would just about guarantee you a sweet life. Or work a little less and have an ok life, or work a lot less and struggle for the rest of your life.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
THREAD ­ STARTER
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 14, 2011 08:32 |  #208
bannedPermanent ban

elrey2375 wrote in post #13542299 (external link)
You've said this numerous times throughout this thread and it's what bothers me the most. If you don't love shooting just for shooting's sake, money isn't going to change that. At the end of the day, you either love it or you don't. There's a saying that applies here, "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life." If you don't love it unless money is involved, that's not love to begin with.

I don't agree, do you love photographing birds? Cars? Weddings? Spiders? Not everyone does, but some people do..personally, I like shooting commercial photos, ads, etc. I want to see my work on the sides of buildings, busses, billboards, TV, etc. THAT's what I like about photography, I don't see the problem.

Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,547 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 14, 2011 08:53 |  #209

Your problem is that you think you have all the answers, before you've even started your career. There are people here on this thread who have been shooting in a professional capacity far longer than you have, and have experienced what you've gone through. The reality of it, being a professional photographer is becoming a very competitive field especially since technology and photoshop can be had by anyone, and while your work is decent, it has a long way to go to compete with the big names in the industry.

I guess the only thing that will really teach you is the school of hard knocks.

The OP is just going to have to learn on his own. No amount to talking to or advice will change his outlook, I don't think.

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 14, 2011 09:01 |  #210

What's wrong with having big dreams and going for them? It's not like the OP is borrowing 10s of thousands of dollars to go after his dreams.
When you are 19 years old the world is your oyster (as they say) and dreaming big is the first step to getting where you want to be.
Without mistakes and mishaps, there is no way you'd ever make it in any field.

Go for it!

sponsored links

24,267 views & 0 likes for this thread
So I never considered the possibility that clients wouldn't come..
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.