Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

They have got to be kidding!!

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 14, 2011 12:47 |  #1

OK,

First off, I do not want to appear as though I am store bashing...but:

I ordered a Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8LIS II USM lens from Adorama on Monday. It's now Wednesday and I have my new lens...YEAH!!:D:D

Adorama delivered as expected...cudoos to Adorama!!

So, the reason for my post is the cost breakdown, it is as follows:

Adorama Price

Lens - $1,974
3 yr ext warranty $59.95
Shipping $83.60
Tax (on my end) $281.03

Total: $2398.58

My Camera Store

Lens - $2549.99 (and thats the sale price)
3 yr ext warranty - $400 (what!!!)
Tax - $383.50

Total: $3333.49

That my friends is a difference of $934.91

To anyone interested it was shipped to me from Adorama NY to Ottawa, ON Canada. There was no duty taxes or brokerage fees. It was shipped via FedEx 2 day air.

Again, thank you Adorama!!:D:D

I am so disappointed in my camera stores in Ottawa I could have gotten $100 of their "sale price" of $2549.99 - and thats it.

So, needless to say I am more than happy to have this lens and to have gotten a significantly better deal from buying from our friends to the south than buying locally.

Thank You one and all and Merry Christmas....now to go and change my sig!!

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

sponsored links
tovarish
317 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 14, 2011 12:59 |  #2

I think that's funny. While I am willing to pay a little more for good face-to-face customer service, that is rediculous. I understand they have more overhead, but in a few years when they are out of business, they have no one to blame but themselves. Where I like, which has a MSA population of about 660,000, we have ONE camera shop (I don't consider Best Buy a camera store, nor would I ever give them my money).

Flickr (external link)

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:00 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

And I got mine for 1974 OTD w/ a free extra year of warranty.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:01 |  #4

I just can't wrap my head around it. Where is my incentive to buy locally? Even if I hadn't bought the ext warranty I would still be ahead by $500 dollars!! Insanity.

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:02 |  #5

tovarish wrote in post #13544425 (external link)
I don't consider Best Buy a camera store, nor would I ever give them my money

I agree they are not a camera store, but why would you not give them your money?

EDIT: well, I would never give a company my money, I only asume you mean you will not do business with them :)

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:04 |  #6

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13544438 (external link)
And I got mine for 1974 OTD w/ a free extra year of warranty.

I was tempted to ship it to the border then drive down and get it to try and avoid the tax..but with the drive cost of gas and the chance of spending Christmas in jail...thought better of it. Guess I'm just getting old!:lol::lol:

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:04 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

General_T wrote in post #13544454 (external link)
I was tempted to ship it to the border then drive down and get it to try and avoid the tax..but with the drive cost of gas and the chance of spending Christmas in jail...thought better of it. Guess I'm just getting old!:lol::lol:

Ahh, didn't notice you were up there. :)

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 14, 2011 13:09 |  #8

Local businesses cannot compete with online businesses. I have never bought a camera related item locally, I dont mind spending a little extra to help out a local business but there is a threshold where it becomes ridiculous. There is a camera store near my house that sells new and used lenses, They were selling a used Canon 50mm f/1.4 for about 15% more than a brand new one on line. I didnt get it.

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,694 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:09 |  #9

Indeed, it's much better for us Canucks to shop in the US through the web.

Although, I wonder why you chose air shipping? When I order from B&H (NYC), I choose normal shipping (through Purolator), and I get my items in two days (I live in Gatineau-Hull). Plus, I'm sure the duty fees have been included in either the shipping or in the tax.

Also, I'm wondering, does your "Adorama price total" take the exchange rate into account? I know the US & Canadian dollars are very close to parity, but it can still make a certain difference when you factor in the bank's commission.

Nevertheless, it's still a great deal! I bought my 15-85 a couple weeks ago from B&H, and it cost me 810$ CAD total (charged to my cc), with the hood, whereas if I'd bought it at a camera store here in Ottawa it would have cost me 1100$+ for the lens only (not sure how much the HST is), and the lens hood is something like 75$+tx on the Canon Canada eStore. We're getting gouged here.

Apricane IG Portraits (external link) IG Travel/Street (external link)
a7 III | 35+55ZA+85/1.8 | Tmr 28-75+70-180/2.8 | Tmr 28-200 | E 70-350G
Capture One 21 Pro | Affinity Photo | ACDSee | Bridge | Photoshop

deedub35
63 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:11 as a reply to  @ Apricane's post |  #10

I'll head in to the local camera shop to check things out, physically hold the item, and pick their brain for info. Then I'll order from B&H.

60D w/ BG-E9 | EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 (converted to macro) | 430EX II

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:11 |  #11

tovarish wrote in post #13544425 (external link)
I think that's funny. While I am willing to pay a little more for good face-to-face customer service, that is rediculous. I understand they have more overhead, but in a few years when they are out of business, they have no one to blame but themselves. Where I like, which has a MSA population of about 660,000, we have ONE camera shop (I don't consider Best Buy a camera store, nor would I ever give them my money).

But smaller shops don't get the same pricing as places like B&H, etc. either. They can't purchase 100+ 5DII's at a time, things like that. So they don't get near the price break. Also, their price for the lens is much more in line with regular retail price - the bigger stores may have gotten a deal and bought a bunch. The smaller stores may have 2 of them which were bought before any other special deals...hard for them to make money really.

Gear List

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:19 |  #12

deedub35 wrote in post #13544498 (external link)
I'll head in to the local camera shop to check things out, physically hold the item, and pick their brain for info. Then I'll order from B&H.

To me that's a little low.

If I go to a store and take advantage of there stock/expertise, I pay them for it.

If I do all the research myself, I buy online.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:22 |  #13

Apricane wrote in post #13544493 (external link)
Indeed, it's much better for us Canucks to shop in the US through the web.

Although, I wonder why you chose air shipping? When I order from B&H (NYC), I choose normal shipping (through Purolator), and I get my items in two days (I live in Gatineau-Hull). Plus, I'm sure the duty fees have been included in either the shipping or in the tax.

Also, I'm wondering, does your "Adorama price total" take the exchange rate into account? I know the US & Canadian dollars are very close to parity, but it can still make a certain difference when you factor in the bank's commission.

Nevertheless, it's still a great deal! I bought my 15-85 a couple weeks ago from B&H, and it cost me 810$ CAD total (charged to my cc), with the hood, whereas if I'd bought it at a camera store here in Ottawa it would have cost me 1100$+ for the lens only (not sure how much the HST is), and the lens hood is something like 75$+tx on the Canon Canada eStore. We're getting gouged here.

I chose air for the "guaranteed speed of delivery" and having no brokerage fees (using FedEx). I checked with Canada Customs and there are no duty fees for camera lens...yeah!.

Yeah, I didn't bother with the exchange rate as they are close (would make about $100 dollar difference though...good point but still a much better deal).

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:23 |  #14

Numenorean wrote in post #13544501 (external link)
But smaller shops don't get the same pricing as places like B&H, etc. either. They can't purchase 100+ 5DII's at a time, things like that. So they don't get near the price break. Also, their price for the lens is much more in line with regular retail price - the bigger stores may have gotten a deal and bought a bunch. The smaller stores may have 2 of them which were bought before any other special deals...hard for them to make money really.

This isn't a small shop. They are a nationwide chain.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:25 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

I know the feeling, everything at my local camera store is marked up at least 50% above online retailers.

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

sponsored links

8,507 views & 0 likes for this thread
They have got to be kidding!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.